Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

3D printed my own design for a cup holder mobile stand. This is the prototype in ugly cheap blue plastic. Black version in black PETG (will survive more heat) printing right now.

View attachment 96918
Great. Suppose it could also be used in the dash cup holders?
Any chance of receiving the file to print? My mate has a 3D printer

Great. Suppose it could also be used in the dash cup holders?
Any chance of receiving the file to print? My mate has a 3D printer
Yes. I'm not great at 3D modelling but you have the three files here. You need to change the measurements for your phone model on the "front part". It is easy to do in Tinkercad online. The files are editable. Make sure that you print in PETG or ABS. Normal PLA will melt in the car on a hot summer day.

I glued the front and backplate together with Gorilla glue. PETG needs a good glue to work.

I also used a few drops of superglue on the ball joint once I had the phone in the perfect position in the car.

So glad I did my garden run through. Most of the setup can be done on your own, but to erect is a different matter. Thankfully I had a helpful neighbour at the campsite. All set and the weather has been pretty good. Glentress camping. IMG_20220730_111809.jpg

I took the van for a wash after our 3 week Eurotrip (Antwerp-Strasbourg-Munich-Berlin-Antwerp). I’m not a religious person, but I’m quite confident I’ve found purgatory: it’s in that crevice between the awning and the roof. Objects sit there for eternity, awaiting their admittance or rejection from Heaven or Hell.

Lovely picknick with sunset at Mont D‘Or, east of France. I was worried about the cows, because they like to rub themselves against the vans and the bells make terrible marks (happened to us a few years back with an old T4)

403E87A0-3180-4229-AA3B-3068DBB1BE04.jpeg

245A65E0-C464-434C-B09F-0C6F75971CFB.jpeg

ED8EDF77-2C85-4CF7-8A3A-056E9314D396.jpeg

Drove to Towersey Festival (the original).
10 bands playing through the day. First band called ‘No Direction’ featured Ken Bruce (the BBC DJ) on drums. Great day so far :)

2AAC54D3-B312-480B-AF4F-F92852C3F785.jpeg

AA157B01-9125-4A84-8134-E5F08512B3A9.jpeg

Drove to Towersey Festival (the original).
10 bands playing through the day. First band called ‘No Direction’ featured Ken Bruce (the BBC DJ) on drums. Great day so far :)

View attachment 98506

View attachment 98507
We’re at Shrewsbury folk festival at the Mo. Been here for the past 12 years, but next year we’re booking Towesey for the August bank holiday. Not sure what you mean by “the original”, @GrumpyGranddad. Are you at Claydon Estate, Bucks?

We’re at Shrewsbury folk festival at the Mo. Been here for the past 12 years, but next year we’re booking Towesey for the August bank holiday. Not sure what you mean by “the original”, @GrumpyGranddad. Are you at Claydon Estate, Bucks?
No not at Claydon. Originally the festival was in Towersey village (near Thame), then it moved to Thame and grew hugely in size and this year at Claydon. Normally a great festival with some class acts.

Towersey village have sort of reclaimed it and called it the Towersey Fringe. Very small event in comparison - Comedy on Saturday night; Music etc on Sunday.

Finally re-assembled the used bike rack I bought from the forum after stripping it and having it anodised. Had also bought a front fork mount as discussed on the forum to keep the height below the roof. All I need to do when I use it is remove the saddle and post.
It’s just narrower than the width of the van but doesn’t look so in the photo

97444052-4A2A-42A2-B183-A34E209349DA.jpeg

Finally re-assembled the used bike rack I bought from the forum after stripping it and having it anodised. Had also bought a front fork mount as discussed on the forum to keep the height below the roof. All I need to do when I use it is remove the saddle and post.
It’s just narrower than the width of the van but doesn’t look so in the photo

View attachment 98797
Looks so much better in black. Could you share who anodised yours?

Looks so much better in black. Could you share who anodised yours?
I got it done here:

and know of someone else on here that got their’s done at the same place. We both agreed that the job wasn’t as good as we expected, slightly different shades on a few places, the odd small mark, a few gaps in grooves where it hasn’t changed colour. It wasn’t as expensive as I thought it would be, so maybe that’s why… saying all that, it still looks much better than it did originally

I got it done here:

and know of someone else on here that got their’s done at the same place. We both agreed that the job wasn’t as good as we expected, slightly different shades on a few places, the odd small mark, a few gaps in grooves where it hasn’t changed colour. It wasn’t as expensive as I thought it would be, so maybe that’s why… saying all that, it still looks much better than it did originally
Thanks. Good to know

Had dinner in the Cali parked on our driveway ... and will probably keep using it as dining area for a few weeks !

Because our house ground floor is being renovated, walls came down, bricks, dust and rubbish are everywhere and we no longer have a kitchen and a sitting room.

Thankfully we can still use the house to handwash the dishes and shower ourselves ...

Spotted a nice Overland X Defender at the Goodwood Revival today. Great awning that folded out along the side and back. Used £59k.

AF928B55-00BE-45F0-B5D1-472CF85C6EB7.jpeg

C6E71487-BCF2-42C9-B3B2-109E600CD77C.jpeg

Back