Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

Took the van to VWT5 T6 Upgrades; they made some adjustments to the spare wheel carrier under the van so it now holds my 18” Wolfrace Explore wheel and Falken AT tyre (235/55 18). They also fitted matt black wheel arches. Top service.
Hi,
Would you mind sharing info on what they have done?

Hi,
Would you mind sharing info on what they have done?

Good morning; I spoke with Mat (at VWT5) before taking the van to him; I gave the details of my AT wheel/tyre and he was confident he could make it fit. My understanding is there are two settings on the cage, and he adjusted this to take the AT Wheel. The tyre is fully inflated, it will take some effort to get it out, and the punctured/damaged wheel back in, not least that it weighs 30kg. But that’s what Roadside Recovery is for.

Good morning; I spoke with Mat (at VWT5) before taking the van to him; I gave the details of my AT wheel/tyre and he was confident he could make it fit. My understanding is there are two settings on the cage, and he adjusted this to take the AT Wheel. The tyre is fully inflated, it will take some effort to get it out, and the punctured/damaged wheel back in, not least that it weighs 30kg. But that’s what Roadside Recovery is for.
Thanks for the information. From what you said it looks like no modifications were done to the under panel other than putting the carrier onto the upper setting?

Thanks for the information. From what you said it looks like no modifications were done to the under panel other than putting the carrier onto the upper setting?
Correct, no modifications just adjustments.

Palmerston’s off and cleaned for the winter. Davenports on with 215 Cargo Vector M+S tyres ready for a couple of trips to the Alps.
Love the Palmerston’s but may just fancy a change before they go back on, we’ll see.
Local tyre place wanted £15 a wheel to swap them over but called in to National tyres in Truro who did it for free; in and out in less than 30 mins, great bunch of guys - happy, friendly and clearly well run. They got a slab of ale for their efforts but with 3 cars in the household they’ll be getting plenty of trade going forward. Made me smile too, restored a bit of faith.

Purchased the all-in from VWCS. Expensive but worth it. Covered for another 2 years.

Last edited:
Fitted the Osram Night Breakers 200% H7 today. Nice improvements, let's see how long they last.
Fitting them on a 2019 T6 went better than expected, having read some bad experience of having to remove air filter etc. Instead I didn't have to remove anything, but it definitely is very tight to work on swapping bulbs.

Collected it from VW independent who've replaced the EGR with the latest version (D), that I decided to do on a precautionary basis. Then used the van to transport a couple of items of antique furniture around the M25 for a friend.

A drive across to Rainbows Screen at MK to pickup the new pop top cover - just in time for our Xmas getaway to Etties field (will also test the new Duvalay you see at the same time).

Darren was very courteous, especially given I had a mega whinge at him about the lead times.

tempImage5wWZb7.pngtempImagexHnGIz.pngtempImageMgQ3q5.png

A drive across to Rainbows Screen at MK to pickup the new pop top cover - just in time for our Xmas getaway to Etties field (will also test the new Duvalay you see at the same time).

Darren was very courteous, especially given I had a mega whinge at him about the lead times.

View attachment 103235View attachment 103236View attachment 103237
Love my windscreen cover, but Darren got a bit cross when I said it should be reversible, to enable silver-side out. He said the silver inner was intended to reflect light back into the van, and a silver outer would have minimal insulative effects, given the insulation within the screen cover.

Love my windscreen cover, but Darren got a bit cross when I said it should be reversible, to enable silver-side out. He said the silver inner was intended to reflect light back into the van, and a silver outer would have minimal insulative effects, given the insulation within the screen cover.
Well, he must have listened because their site now says:

"Our pop top covers are all reversible with a silver inside, which aids you in using your roof in adverse weather conditions."

Not sure what that means but I can imagine in summer it would be handy to reflect heat out.

With a 3 month waiting list he wasn't happy when I wondered aloud if he was leaving money on the table by not employing more machinists...

I actually tried to cancel to order a club one but he would not let me. Luckily it was ready a week later.

I also asked if he could make a lower rear seat cover out the material he uses for the screens (would be perfect IMHO) and it was a firm "CBA".

Well, he must have listened because their site now says:

"Our pop top covers are all reversible with a silver inside, which aids you in using your roof in adverse weather conditions."

Not sure what that means but I can imagine in summer it would be handy to reflect heat out.

With a 3 month waiting list he wasn't happy when I wondered aloud if he was leaving money on the table by not employing more machinists...

I actually tried to cancel to order a club one but he would not let me. Luckily it was ready a week later.

I also asked if he could make a lower rear seat cover out the material he uses for the screens (would be perfect IMHO) and it was a firm "CBA".
Mines a windscreen rather than pop top cover, and I don’t think they’re yet reversible. He did say if I was that concerned, I should have ordered a silver rather than a black outer…which is a fair point
Shame when small companies don’t listen to their customers though… I suppose some are just happy to do what they do, with no ambition to expand/improve.
They do make good covers though!

View attachment 103235View attachment 103236View attachment 103237
Enjoyed Etties back in the summer. Hope they still offer the homemade pizza's from the van this time of year!

Back