Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

I was building a cycle path from Aylesbury Parkway Station to Waddesdon Manor and using the Cali as a base. Most of the other volunteers were in tents, but 3 of us were in Campers.
The work included building bridges over a stream and a balancing pond. I was allocated the latter which was fortunate as it was totally dry.
P1000286a.jpg This was my campsite, no hookup but the Solar Panel was superb & kept the batteries topped up with the fridge on 5.
P1050432a (1).jpg
These were the first 4 bearers at ¼ tonne each moved in place by hand
P1050432a (3).jpg
The decking is laid upside down so we don't damage it during construction
P1050435.JPG The next bearers are ready to be pushed forward to install
P1050445a.JPG
The view from the other end before the final 4 bearers are installed.
Incredibly hot work & the Cali was up to 46C when I got back to it after working on the bridge.
I saw 4 Calis parked in the NT car park at Waddesdon Manor but only saw one leaving a red one and they waved as they saw my Cali.
Not really the ideal sort of weather for that type of heavy work.

Cobbled together a pair of prototype window blinds for the two sliding door windows so I don't have to keep fiddling with "the-blind-that-never-really-works" every time I want/need to leave the van in the evening. Early trials are encouraging.

Dropped our Cali off at the dealer for them to fix the coolant warning light problem. Again .....

Dropped our Cali off at the dealer for them to fix the coolant warning light problem. Again .....
Know the feeling,they have tried three times to fix our radio,but keep saying radio won't accept update:headbang Surely radio should just be replaced under warranty.

Know the feeling,they have tried three times to fix our radio,but keep saying radio won't accept update:headbang Surely radio should just be replaced under warranty.
Yes you’d think so. But simple logic doesn’t always seem to work.

Insist on it. Three failed attempts are more than enough. :(

We went to the RHS Tatton Flower show yesterday. A very nice C&CC site about 30 minutes from the show site on fairly quiet roads. The Cali is just such a perfect vehicle for this type of thing. You can park it easily, hard to loose in a huge car park because of it's height and the fridge is perfect for keeping the food & drinks cool. The bees were going wild for all the flowers.
P1000322.JPG P1000339.JPG P1000340.JPG P1000341.JPG P1000344.JPG P1000347.JPG
Finding a site was easy, even at the last minute as it was midweek, so plenty of room. The drive home was much nicer as we stayed off the motorways and came via Shrewsbury, Ludlow, Tintern and back to Bristol. Beautiful farmland and not many cars on the roads. Sitting up high in the Cali you are looking over the hedges.

Today I removed the stop so the rear seat can slide fully forwards and measured up to make a cross rail to mount our bikes in the back..
View attachment 35686

Good plan. I like the sound of that. I can see a number of occasions when I just want to see sake my Carbon Road bike and that would be a great solution.

Keep us posted please.

Mike

We went camping with Mr & Mrs Borris in the New Forest.
Notice the unusual additional feature of green grass.
20180726_073457.jpg
The pegs on the awning were easy to put in as the ground was soft. We asked the site owner about it and there are some springs a bit further up the bank behind the fence that keep the site watered. A very enjoyable couple of days, but the whole area is scorched.

This is Bucklers Hard as it usually is
upload_2018-7-28_19-52-43.png
This was last Thursday, the grass is mostly sandy earth.
Over sixty years 43 Royal Navy ships were built at Buckler's Hard, including HMS Euryalus, HMS Swiftsure and HMS Agamemnon, all of which fought at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805
P1000371.JPG

Last edited:
Dropped our Cali off at the dealer for the third time to fix the coolant problem. Had to almost stage a sit in before they finally admitted there was a problem - albeit one they have been unable to fix. Problem is we have a eurotunnel booking at 6:00 on Wednesday. They either need to have fixed it (unlikely) or source a replacement Cali so we can go on holiday (even more unlikely). If only they had listened to me when I told the problem was there in April, and June and again at the weekend. Next stop solicitors.

A day of shame: Betsy got her first wash after 10 months(!) of faithful service. And we didn't even do it ourselves...IMG_20180823_105327.jpg

I went back to the Waddesdon Greenway in Aylesbury with my wife and we put Solar Cats Eyes on the cycle path that I was helping on in early July. (See earlier pictures on this thread.)
Path drilled and over 120 small way-marker LEDs put in to show curves in the path, bollards and gates.
P1050121a (2).JPG P1050121b (2).JPG P1050121c (6).JPG P1050121c (8).JPG

Sightseeing in Zurich and camping @Fischer‘s Fritz. Nice spot to explore the area around the city and Zurich.
c1dfdd4769333797b89115bd1d51a4c1.jpg
Restaurant with lakeview.

ca91b337d1d1f4092ece6818b12aac7d.jpg

Back