Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)
  1. Next Club Meets

Midlands Club Meet - 9th -11th Nov - More Details Here
    Club Shop Day Meet 10th Nov - More Details Here
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done with your California today?

Discussion in 'General VW T5 & T6 California Chat' started by Ambler, Jan 18, 2017.

1. 2020 freedom

2020 freedom Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones. VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    By 'eck...thats a lovely photo :embarrased

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  2. Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
  3. Eber123

Eber123 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    I brought the van to VW in Liffey Valley, Dublin, to get the locks on the awning supports fixed.

I thought it could be done on a Saturday within 15 minutes, but they wanted the van for the day (?). I will collect it later after work.

Eberhard

4. sensisuperstar

sensisuperstar Wibble VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    I washed the van, but not how I expected, so this one can be filed under ‘you couldn’t make it up’...

My new foam lance had arrived in the post earlier in the day. As it was a lovely evening and the van was sat nicely in the shade, I felt it time to give Gurty a clean with the pressure washer. I even bought some expensive snow foam from Halfords to treat the old girl...

It took ages to get everything prepared, like the extension lead, hose, lotions & potions, two buckets and all that jazz. I then hooked up the pressure washer and gently sprayed the van with the fine mist head, just to soak her through...

I then diligently mixed the snow foam 1 part to 5 of water, hooked it up and took aim...next thing I know the filter head has shot out of the snow foam lance, volleyed off the van, looped over my head and landed somewhere in the bushes behind me, whilst foam slopped out of the lance, coating me and the footpath...

We spent the next 30 minutes on our hands and knees looking for the missing part amongst the foliage and foam, even the lad helped out, then the neighbours joined in, but we couldn’t find it, thus rendering the foam gun useless...

In the end it started getting dark so I just did a quick two bucket wash with a mitt. It serves me right for being a try hard new owner :headbang

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Be careful - Pressure washer on the Sliding Windows can damage the seals.

6. sensisuperstar

sensisuperstar Wibble VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    Cheers, I bought a special mist spray attachment for that very reason. It’s not even as harsh as my hose, but soaks the van much more efficiently. I don’t know how powerful the snow foam attachment is for obvious reasons :(

7. Waggonner

Waggonner

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    First trip back to the garage for my Cali today :(. A minor annoyance - the trim light along the edge of the fridge/gas rings/sink wouldn't switch off. Still in warranty so getting a new switch.

8. 2020 freedom

2020 freedom Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones. VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    I'll be interested to know how that goes. I have had the occasional odd behaviour from my cupboard strip light but haven't done anything about it yet as i haven't found consistancy.
    But on exiting and locking the vehicle I noticed it dim (as if going out like the other cab lights) but brightening up again and saying on. But it seems to have stopped that at the moment.

9. motacyclist

motacyclist Colin Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    I noticed this when we first got ours, and I had to read the manual! There are two modes, one is camping mode and I forget what they called the other. To switch between them, you have to give a quick double press on the button. Or maybe it was a long press, I'll let you experiment! Or even read the manual :D

10. calimera

calimera VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Our Cali visited the RSPB Gwenffrwd- Dina's Nature Reserve.
    We enjoyed a wonderful circular walk through a river valley & bluebell woodland .
    Then onto Llyn Brianne ( recommended by Motacyclist ) IMG_20180517_122749081_HDR.jpg .

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  11. motacyclist

motacyclist Colin Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    While you’re in the area some suggestions highlighted below, taking in Elan Valley, Lyn Clywedog (include the little road on the south west side), Nant-y-Moch. Rhayader is a nice place to stop, Wyeside C & CC Park is right next to the town where there are plenty of pubs and eating places. If time also visit the lake at Llandrindod Wells. Or you could go across to the coast around Aberystwyth. :thumb

3076B6E0-55B3-4FE5-B7B4-D372884AD46B.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. calimera

calimera VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Thanks so much for the above.
    We are heading back to the Gower for a couple of days tomorrow. Then off home to Dartmoor.
    We will be back
    Back at the Towy Bridge Inn tonight for a drink & meal.

13. awayinmevan

awayinmevan VIP Member

Finally I removed my oil filter after been done up by dealer last year took 3 different filter removal tools 2 damaged now and a 2 foot bar you know when a job is done well now .Dealer blame oil cooler for cooking filter seal so beware any one on long life service plan . Dealer they have to remove front end t to get it off.

14. FoodieLoobie

FoodieLoobie

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    One of our criteria before buying our Cali was that we must have a van which we could drive off in for the day whilst away on a camping trip. We wanted the flexibility. We bought our van in April 2017 and today for the very first time, whilst away in Ireland, we have lowered the roof and driven off for a day out before returning to our pitch for a G&T in the early evening sunshine.

It was so quick and easy to get ready to drive off and also to re-set our camp. Usually when we drive off we are also moving on elsewhere. At last we have done it!

15. Thruxton

Thruxton VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    First ever day trip to Littlehampton.... and we caught a glimpse of our future mode of transport FD00288B-A54F-4351-9BDB-0C997653E788.jpeg 3028B2D2-DE62-446C-B5F8-E95321AAC5D9.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • I Like That! I Like That! x 2
  16. Teejay1

Teejay1

Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Just returned from a 3 day free camp in the Scottish Borders.

17. Volkywagen

Volkywagen VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    A trip to coniston today and a trip to carry on dubbin show yesterday down the road.
    Gave the AC a good work out!!

0B25539E-D787-4BE6-97B2-23B70DD888F6.jpeg

E545563E-075C-43D8-8593-201269FB46DE.jpeg

D1A5667E-784A-439B-A2FE-C4B28418AB6D.jpeg

• I Like That! I Like That! x 2
  18. Brownbettyman

Brownbettyman

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    IMG_20180524_213850070_LL.jpg

IMG_20180524_213747231_LL.jpg

IMG_20180524_213448972_LL.jpg

19. Brownbettyman

Brownbettyman

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    Just got back from a trip to the lakes, the pictures are from the layby we spent the night, a lovely view from the bedroom window, it was a nice one mile walk into Ambleside.

20. westfalia

westfalia VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year: