Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

Opened the side door to see if the table recess had a shelf upstand (it doesn't) and checked the battery voltage.

Opened the side door to see if the table recess had a shelf upstand (it doesn't) and checked the battery voltage.
ha ha ! did exactly the same. mine does not have a shelf, but a pretty structured place with two elastic bands. a thin piece of 2mm plywood behind the 2 elastic bands should give some space to store small items possibly ... though, I also doubt if that will work as the table legs may just use up all that place. At least a table mat or a sheet should fit in.

Repainted the rusting Sparesafe.
2 coats(dipped) and a few hours in the oven.

Hi @Loz What paint did you use, how long did you bake it and what temp? I didn’t like or see the need for the red, so painted ours immediately when I bought it with smooth black hamerite but it’s now black with red spots and I need to strip it back and do it properly like you. Presumably you primed it?

Hi @Loz What paint did you use, how long did you bake it and what temp? I didn’t like or see the need for the red, so painted ours immediately when I bought it with smooth black hamerite but it’s now black with red spots and I need to strip it back and do it properly like you. Presumably you primed it?
Just 2 coats of black hammerite left overnight between coats, the left for 3 hours after second dip and the in the oven on its lowest setting for an hour then turned off and left till the next morning before refitting.

Stay safe.

Going tomorrow to Bath to evacuate son from Uni. Daughter is in London on the frontlines so doubt if we will get to see her for a few months now. Only need a trailer when moving daughters :) sons accommodate all in a suitcase or two. :)

Yeah but if you're clearing out a boy's college room remember one of them N95 respirators will come in handy.

Went to London to evacuate No 1 stepdaughter and her friend from uni before it closes for the year and before London is locked down but got a flipping puncture on the M4. Luckily we were at Membury services and luckily I’d bought a spare as Editions come with a kit. VW Assistance (ie the AA) made it look very easy. It reminded me that I need some different bolts for the steel wheel.

I was v surprised how busy the roads were. Not deserted at all. Saw none of the usual planes past Heathrow tho and Whitehall and Trafalgar Sq were eerily empty of people.

No 2 from Leicester next. Neither will be going back this year.

View attachment 56344
Reference needing different bolts for your steel spare, are your alloys non standard? My camper was supplied with four alloy wheels and a steel spare as original equipment. The owners handbook does discuss the need for differing fixing bolts for different wheels, but surely if the manufacturer supplies a steel spare and the bolt size required for fixing is different, it is incumbent on them to also supply the bolts and, preferably, a warning about fixing. I have neither. On my other VAG car (a Skoda) I have a set of O.E. alloys and a set of O.E.steels which are happily interchangeable using the same wheel bolts.
If you need different bolts for your spare, how did you fix it?

Reference needing different bolts for your steel spare, are your alloys non standard? My camper was supplied with four alloy wheels and a steel spare as original equipment. The owners handbook does discuss the need for differing fixing bolts for different wheels, but surely if the manufacturer supplies a steel spare and the bolt size required for fixing is different, it is incumbent on them to also supply the bolts and, preferably, a warning about fixing. I have neither. On my other VAG car (a Skoda) I have a set of O.E. alloys and a set of O.E.steels which are happily interchangeable using the same wheel bolts.
If you need different bolts for your spare, how did you fix it?
The alloys I'm running at the moment (with winter tyres) are not VW and the bolts are longer than the bolts I have for my oem VW Cascavel alloys. I was advised (by people on the T6 Facebook group) that the bolts for the oem alloys are the same those needed for the steel spare, so I'll just carry 5 of those.

Stay safe.

Going tomorrow to Bath to evacuate son from Uni. Daughter is in London on the frontlines so doubt if we will get to see her for a few months now. Only need a trailer when moving daughters :) sons accommodate all in a suitcase or two. :)
Be careful that you don't get stopped by the rozzers because going to fetch your son from uni is not an excuse they'll accept: that's why we rushed to get 2 of our's back before the lockdown was mandatory. I'd also avoid going inside his halls or digs for your sake and those of his flatmates. Good luck.

I got our daughter back a few days before lockdown, shes now working on line & doing an almost full time job at the local supermarket. Needs to do the supermarket bit to pay for next terms accommodation which she will not be able to use.

I would think that collecting someone to join or rejoin your household would be necessary travel. My brother-in-law at last has a flight back from New Zealand, he can’t be left at the airport.

Matt Hancock spoke yesterday on Question Time about returning to the reason for the lockdown: to prevent transmission of the virus.

Picking up someone to join or rejoin your household has no risk of transmission outside of your household. But I think that you may need to think about and make preparations to self quarantine your entire household for a week, and that means not going out at all once the daughter or son is back at home.

The legal text of the lockdown regulations specifically mentions moving home as a permitted activity.

Last edited:
I got our daughter back a few days before lockdown, shes now working on line & doing an almost full time job at the local supermarket. Needs to do the supermarket bit to pay for next terms accommodation which she will not be able to use.
Aren't arrangements being made to refund costs of unused accommodation?

Made a balance cable to keep the starter battery topped up from the leisure side that has solar.
Started with a heavy-duty plug to plug cable from Amazon and added a switch so you don't have any issues touching the live positive part when plugging in the second end.
IMG_0630.jpegIMG_0631.jpeg
IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg
As you can see from the graph, it only took a short while to bring up the starter battery.
IMG_0635.pngIMG_0634.jpeg

Aren't arrangements being made to refund costs of unused accommodation?
Not from most private student rental companies. If she had been in the Main Halls it would have been cancelled. Her landlord has actually sent emails reminding that the money is due & that there will be no refunds.

Not from most private student rental companies. If she had been in the Main Halls it would have been cancelled. Her landlord has actually sent emails reminding that the money is due & that there will be no refunds.

Some of the private rental companies (promoted through the university accommodation offices) are pretty brazen. When one of my kids moved out at the end of their course last year, the letting company dragged their heels about returning the deposit, giving my son the run-around, until I sent them a Letter Before Action. They paid up pretty sharpish then, but retained a £100 (I think it was) "cleaning charge", utterly unjustified but they just know you aren't going to drag them through the small claims court for that. Shysters.

Made a balance cable to keep the starter battery topped up from the leisure side that has solar.
Started with a heavy-duty plug to plug cable from Amazon and added a switch so you don't have any issues touching the live positive part when plugging in the second end.
View attachment 56920View attachment 56921
View attachment 56919

View attachment 56924
As you can see from the graph, it only took a short while to bring up the starter battery.
View attachment 56922View attachment 56923
My thought some time ago I like the safety switch well done.

If it was as direct as that it's pretty shabby.

I sent an email to all my tenants saying,
I know that the coming months will be a difficult time for a large number of us, and I want you to know that I will do anything I can to make sure that you and [name]/your family feel safe.
If at any time in the next three months you are likely to have difficulty paying part of your rent, it will be helpful if you can give me advance notice of what you can pay for April, May and June, and when you might be able to pay the balance. I will then be able to plan a delay to my mortgage repayments on your flat if this is necessary.
Please do contact me if you need help with anything at all.
Lol. Wheres the - pass the sick bucket - emoticon

You deserve a big pat on the back, or maybe you could take a
stroll around to your tenants during next weeks choreographed virtue-signalling fiesta,
stand outside their windows and lap it up.

If it was as direct as that it's pretty shabby.

I sent an email to all my tenants saying,
I know that the coming months will be a difficult time for a large number of us, and I want you to know that I will do anything I can to make sure that you and [name]/your family feel safe.
If at any time in the next three months you are likely to have difficulty paying part of your rent, it will be helpful if you can give me advance notice of what you can pay for April, May and June, and when you might be able to pay the balance. I will then be able to plan a delay to my mortgage repayments on your flat if this is necessary.
Please do contact me if you need help with anything at all.

Or you could just use the money that you said you were using to max out on stocks & shares to pay your mortgages instead?

What did I do with my Cali today? - Son back from University. The Cali swallowed three peoples' luggage. It also turned out to be a enroute luggage drop off service

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-03 at 12.50.46.jpeg

Back