Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

I would have suggested changing your shopping times, using a different local super market /shop, finding out the best delivery times or even doing without ... the same way you manage through the shortage of anything else ...

Anyway with a near non existent egg supply in Greater London, I would suggest you keep your chicks under cover! On a more serious note though (apart from being a bit of a bind when you go away) chickens inevitably attract rats. Even if your chickens are enclosed in a run, rats will come underneath it to get the food if it hasn't got a concrete or mesh sub floor and breed like the proverbial, well, rats.

If you have a rat-proof area where the chickens can feed, it is worth removing the food and storing the food somewhere else, for the rest of the day, if you want to let the chickens out to mooch around and be free to return. When you feed the chickens initially see how much food they generally use . If consumption suddenly starts to go up then you will know you have the start of a rat problem. Also keep an eye out for tunnels. Things can get out of control very quickly if rats can access the chickens food supply.

Last edited:
I would have suggested changing your shopping times, using a different local super market /shop, finding out the best delivery times or even doing without ... the same way you manage through the shortage of anything else ...

Anyway with a near non existent egg supply in Greater London, I would suggest you keep your chicks under cover! On a more serious note though (apart from being a bit of a bind when you go away) chickens inevitably attract rats. Even if your chickens are enclosed in a run, rats will come underneath it to get the food if it hasn't got a concrete or mesh sub floor and breed like the proverbial, well, rats.

If you have a rat-proof area where the chickens can feed, it is worth removing the food and storing the food somewhere else, for the rest of the day, if you want to let the chickens out to mooch around and be free to return. When you feed the chickens initially see how much food they generally use . If consumption suddenly starts to go up then you will know you have the start of a rat problem. Also keep an eye out for tunnels. Things can get out of control very quickly if rats can access the chickens food supply.
Give it a bye. Find a hobby

Give it a bye. Find a hobby
You mean like non essential journeys :) Anyway bored now as our most others and as the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink " So my last comment on this

Last edited:
You mean like non essential journeys :) Anyway bored now as our most others and as the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink " So my last comment on this
Don’t count your chickens...

Get yourself a small Terrier of some description. Your rats will soon disappear.

We kept chickens when the children were younger and we did have problems with rats as well.
But it was fantastic to see the kids look after them and collect eggs every day. Cockerel got a bit loud occasionally tho:)
All came to an abrupt end when foxes had the lot one night. So beware the urban fox.

I’ve spend two days cleaning! Quite therapeutic really hard work.
Snow foam, autoglym HD shampoo wash, iron remover (amazing stuff), tar reliever, clay bar, shampoo wash again, autoglym polish, 2 coats of ultra HD Wax, some special wheel wax, rain x in the windows.
The van looks amazing, almost a glass finish, very happy.
Cold beer now!

We kept chickens when the children were younger and we did have problems with rats as well.
But it was fantastic to see the kids look after them and collect eggs every day. Cockerel got a bit loud occasionally tho:)
All came to an abrupt end when foxes had the lot one night. So beware the urban fox.
Thanks all for all the advice.

We have the coop and run on our rear patio with a covering of bark. We let them free range in the garden today for the first time, and they appear happy enough. I think we are fox proof, and hopefully rat proof. Meg just sits and watches, here she is sitting on an upturned wheelbarrow hoping the chickens will mistake her for a cockrell.

IMG_0313.JPG

Last edited:
We had chucks in our suburban garden and all was fine for a year or so, till the fox came. I thought might time was the danger, our birds were mauled in the daytime. We now have a fox proof (we hope!) walk-in run.

Snow foam, autoglym HD shampoo wash, iron remover (amazing stuff), tar reliever, clay bar, shampoo wash again, autoglym polish, 2 coats of ultra HD Wax, some special wheel wax, rain x in the windows.
Cold beer now!
Tyre Dressing??

We have the coop and run on our rear patio with a covering of bark. We let them free range in the garden today for the first time, and they appear happy enough. I think we are fox proof, and hopefully rat proof. Meg just sits and watches, here she is sitting on an upturned wheelbarrow.

View attachment 57728
Great stuff. And our border collie was Meg. Beautiful dogs.

Cold beer now!
How did you make time to do all of that?

We have the coop and run on our rear patio with a covering of bark. We let them free range in the garden today for the first time, and they appear happy enough. I think we are fox proof, and hopefully rat proof. Meg just sits and watches, here she is sitting on an upturned wheelbarrow hoping the chickens will mistake her for a cockrell.

View attachment 57728
You could take Meg and the chickens to the local park and train her to herd them, see what the rozzers say about that.

Made a semi-permanent holder for the binocular case. Works really good!
Had to be removable as in winter time I store the snow brush/ice scraper there. Who knows, it might still work having it there in winter.

fSJ4XAA.png

9RxujHb.png

Back