Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

Console yourself that your Cali is probably going up in value. Breeze have a 20 plate 2-to e 6.1 going for £70,980
In the end, a Cali is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. I have seen what I consider to be silly dealer prices being asked for second hand Calis by but if they are getting any where near those prices good for them.

We go for a walk with the boys and dog daily, driving to a different place each day to avoid the busy local parks. As a consequence of muddy dogs and grubby boys constantly clambering in and out from walks the inside of Amarillo is a real state.

In the end, a Cali is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.
I wonder how much the probate assessor will value it at? This year, next year, sometime, but never never.

Today my Cali has showed the versatility as a hospital taxi and been patient transport for my other half who had a Plantar Facetious Jab in the feet.
Ouch says I...
Had to have a general anaesthetic for it but not a typical operation per se I guess.
Anyway not sure of how effective these things are?
But first time the engine has turned since 23rd December, pre heated with the auxiliary air on the drive before setting off in comfort and similar on the way home after vacating the wheel chair.

Last edited:
Put the van on SORN....
I'm reluctant to do that because I couldn't take it out at all then. Going to the supermarket once a month might seem like a waste of the expensive annual VED payment but at least it keeps the vehicle operating. If we find ourselves in lock down through winter say until Easter that won't do any vehicle any good at all especially as ours isn't a garage queen. Brakes, engine etc etc all benefit from a thaw out and a good run now and then.

I'm reluctant to do that because I couldn't take it out at all then. Going to the supermarket once a month might seem like a waste of the expensive annual VED payment but at least it keeps the vehicle operating. If we find ourselves in lock down through winter say until Easter that won't do any vehicle any good at all especially as ours isn't a garage queen. Brakes, engine etc etc all benefit from a thaw out and a good run now and then.
My van is the only vehicle I Tax and pay monthly..It costs a few quid more but all I do is cancel the tax at the end of the month, then wait.. If the situation changes then I just re-tax it again. That way you don’t have to wait 4 + weeks to get a refund..It had a good run before I put it on SORN so not too worried about leaving it stand a while...

Chained up and went for a hike in them there hills
Hi flying banana, I’ve never used chains so excuse my ignorance but is there any damage to your alloys after using them?

Hi flying banana, I’ve never used chains so excuse my ignorance but is there any damage to your alloys after using them?
i don't think so.had a quick look and all looks good. but not really studied them. i'll have a look again in the daylight. they are a pain in the arse to put on though and i would highly recommend getting some practice with them if ever heading for the mountains where the real snow is. i don't think i went much over 20mph with them on but they worked a treat and will absolutely get you out of a fix

Last edited:
Chains are a real hassle. Difficult to get on correctly and could cause damage to those expensive alloys and the van itself. 3 mountain rated tyres and 4 motion should be ok for most of us in uk snow and ice. I will treat Eva to a set of Michelin cross climate plus 255 45 r18 once I wear down the new tyres. I had these tyres on both of the family cars each front wheel drive and was amazed at the ease they drove up slopes in the snow. The expressions on other motorists faces as I went effortlessly up roads was worth the extra cost. In reality I saw them as a good safety measure and assurance that I could get to work. Now they will be the extension to a season and a trip up into the mountains once we are all safe again. It will come, it gives us something to look forward to , the reward for keeping safe.

Not one of my cleverest ideas
Only did that once in a Land Rover 110 with family on board, but removed windscreen wipers first. Great fun was had by all, including Park Rangers. Never in the California.

Only did that once in a Land Rover 110 with family on board, but removed windscreen wipers first. Great fun was had by all, including Park Rangers. Never in the California.
Not one of my cleverest ideas
Funny you should post this. We have tickets for Woburn Safari Park on New Years Day. Already decided to go in my wife’s car. Didn’t fancy entertaining the monkeys with my solar panels.

Spoil sport It would be a new challenge for them to rip off !

I did it in my evoque and the kids loved it with the panoramic windscreen.

I completely forgot about the solar panel. It was only when he had one of the plastic bolt rust protection things in his mouth that I remembered! He also took off the solar panel electric protection cover - luckily he dropped that on my windscreen which slid between my bonnet and windscreen so I could recover it. Other than that it was fine!

Worth it for the grin on the kids faces!

Run over to the Cotswolds. Even built a snowman...;-)
View attachment 71248
View attachment 71247
Still being tier 2 this morning we took a run up to the Lake District also tier 2. Beautiful day, good walking, watched the sunset, then had something to eat in the Cali whilst waiting for the heaviest of the traffic to disperse. Came home the long way round so Cali had a good run as goodness knows when it will again as tier 3 from tomorrow.

Attachments

• 3D135411-56C5-45D2-9453-AB1A7EF9E8C1.jpeg
    3D135411-56C5-45D2-9453-AB1A7EF9E8C1.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 43
  • AE2EF8BD-DB14-4CA4-AC7D-142757794D3D.jpeg
    AE2EF8BD-DB14-4CA4-AC7D-142757794D3D.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 39
  • CE8CD51C-D835-48CA-9248-A3219F77E407.jpeg
    CE8CD51C-D835-48CA-9248-A3219F77E407.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 37
  • E5DBCB8B-B119-437A-8DCC-4589CEF0ED54.jpeg
    E5DBCB8B-B119-437A-8DCC-4589CEF0ED54.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 39
  • BDA66DE8-58E9-438A-B77C-9238B56446FF.jpeg
    BDA66DE8-58E9-438A-B77C-9238B56446FF.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 51E083CC-918B-4BC1-BF98-47DAFD91F4E5.jpeg
    51E083CC-918B-4BC1-BF98-47DAFD91F4E5.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 34
  • A8C35F6E-0CBC-4EBC-890A-94EA6CAFDCA1.jpeg
    A8C35F6E-0CBC-4EBC-890A-94EA6CAFDCA1.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 40
Still being tier 2 this morning we took a run up to the Lake District also tier 2. Beautiful day, good walking, watched the sunset, then had something to eat in the Cali whilst waiting for the heaviest of the traffic to disperse. Came home the long way round so Cali had a good run as goodness knows when it will again as tier 3 from tomorrow.
Long way round, that’s what a cali if for, good on ya.

Unplugged the hook up and and checked the voltage readings in the battery. Oh, I booked a caravan club site for March too for a short Norfolk coast trip. It can be cancelled 72hrs before with no cost so dross everything...

Back