Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

Well after weeks of it being woefully under utilised I suggested to Mrs B that it was too hot to do anything at home, so we should use our air conditioned Cali to collect some items we had clicked. Whilst we were out I thought it also a prudent move to fill the tank with it's, cheaper than usual, favourite tipple - BP Utimate super diesel. So long story short, we took a drive to a BP/ Marks and Spenser garage near Margate where we purchased a luxury picnic which included a brace of M&S Custard Choux Buns.....yum yum.
From there our plan was to find a quiet spot, pop the roof, enjoy our newly acquired comestibles and then finish off with forty or so winks....bliss. Unfortunately someone had got there first!

20200625_185530.jpg

Note the queue for the Ladies in the foreground.

This was Margate this afternoon. We drove on around the Isle of Thanet and it was the same story everywhere. Totally rammed! It was a complete parking gridlock with cars double parked, parking in fields and every residential road. In 66 years I have never seen anything like it. :Nailbiting

So where did we end up having our picnic?

Back at home!

Last edited:
Not yet done, but a must for today. I got an isotop in February and it’s still in the hall waiting to be fitted. I went to do it before that really grotty weather a few weeks back but sat in the van, on the drive, reminiscing and 2 hours later my hubby came to find me and wake me up! So today’s the day. If it gets too hot and sweaty at least I can do the Velcro.
I was dreading it but thanks to MattBW’s brilliant how-to video feel confident. It’s just one of those pain in the bum jobs that I usually leave till tomorrow!
The job isn't actually too difficult, it is the instructions that are horrible and make it terrifying. If you have an Ocean, there is a fair amount of cursing necessary to get the 5 velcro tab at the front top of the roof to slide in.

Well after weeks of it being woefully under utilised I suggested to Mrs B that it was too hot to do anything at home, so we should use our air conditioned Cali to collect some items we had clicked. Whilst we were out I thought it also a prudent move to fill the tank with it's, cheaper than usual, favourite tipple - BP Utimate super diesel. So long story short, we took a drive to a BP/ Marks and Spenser garage near Margate where we purchased a luxury picnic which included a brace of M&S Custard Choux Buns.....yum yum.
From there our plan was to find a quiet spot, pop the roof, enjoy our newly acquired comestibles and then finish off with forty or so winks....bliss. Unfortunately someone had got there first!

View attachment 61572

This was Margate this afternoon. We drove on around the Isle of Thanet and it was the same story everywhere. Totally rammed! It was complete parking gridlock with cars double parked, parking in fields and every residential road. In 66 years I have never seen anything like it. :Nailbiting

Back at home!

Borris that’s Krazy...
Saw similar pics at Bournemouth yesterday a friend sent.
Maybe try a bit further south.
Cornwall isn’t to bad.

13BDDA19-5AC2-49B9-AF2B-7B222C6034DA.jpeg

View attachment 61572

This was Margate this afternoon. We drove on around the Isle of Thanet and it was the same story everywhere. Totally rammed! It was complete parking gridlock with cars double parked, parking in fields and every residential road. In 66 years I have never seen anything like it. :Nailbiting

Back at home!
Seems to me the new normal won’t be all nice, pink and fluffy, respectful and considerate as some thought it would be!

I ran down to Sandbanks at 6 this morning and it was lovely.? Looking at the BBC it looked like hell just a few hours later. Still, it did mean there was nobody at the tip so I could get rid of the Amazon 09BD9151-DEED-4210-9610-1CC54D56D22E.jpegcardboard mountain!

Borris that’s Krazy...
Saw similar pics at Bournemouth yesterday a friend sent.
Maybe try a bit further south.
Cornwall isn’t to bad.

View attachment 61577
Sadly Cornwall And Devon might catch up after the third week in July when the “school holidays” officially start.
I think we need to think smart and choose destinations that aren’t as “glamorous“ or desirable but have lots of other things to offer In other ways if you put the effort in.
Maybe the best plan is to pack our woolly socks and head north, but not as far as the NC 500.
can’t remember who posted it but someone mentioned Northern Ireland. We lived there for a while and can reiterate that it’s really beautiful.

The job isn't actually too difficult, it is the instructions that are horrible and make it terrifying. If you have an Ocean, there is a fair amount of cursing necessary to get the 5 velcro tab at the front top of the roof to slide in.
If you listen out on Saturday you’ll probably hear my curses all the way over in Frankfurt, Calimili.

Sadly Cornwall And Devon might catch up after the third week in July when the “school holidays” officially start.
I think we need to think smart and choose destinations that aren’t as “glamorous“ or desirable but have lots of other things to offer In other ways if you put the effort in.
Maybe the best plan is to pack our woolly socks and head north, but not as far as the NC 500.
can’t remember who posted it but someone mentioned Northern Ireland. We lived there for a while and can reiterate that it’s really beautiful.
We haven't really given a holiday in the van any serious consideration so far this year. Firstly, I'm not convinced that the animosity shown towards campervans and motorhomes in some parts of the UK at the start of the Covid outbreak in the UK will have receded. That animosity may actually be compounded by everyone and their dog now looking to take their hols in those same areas. With Hotels, cruises and foreign hoildays being off limits at present, I can see Britain's own popular destinations becoming very over crowded this summer. The covid implications will only add to the underlying dislike of CVs and MHs by those that probably already had good reason to dislike us. Consequently, we may take the view that it's better to write this year off and make do with local day trips.

We haven't really given a holiday in the van any serious consideration so far this year. Firstly, I'm not convinced that the animosity shown towards campervans and motorhomes in some parts of the UK at the start of the Covid outbreak in the UK will have receded. That animosity may actually be compounded by everyone and their dog now looking to take their hols in those same areas. With Hotels, cruises and foreign hoildays being off limits at present, I can see Britain's own popular destinations becoming very over crowded this summer. The covid implications will only add to the underlying dislike of CVs and MHs by those that probably already had good reason to dislike us. Consequently, we may take the view that it's better to write this year off and make do with local day trips.

Agreed. That’s our plan. We have plenty to keep us occupied and enough nice spots to check out within range, with the off chance of a random night or two away if the opportunity presents itself.

Mike

Totally agree with you Boris. Looking at how our countryside and coast is being treated at the moment I think it'll be a nightmare. It's so frustrating to think that when all those who have no respect get the chance to jet off to their all-inclusives in the future we'll be left with the bad after taste!

I'm trying to think of places where the masses don't want to go. Places that aren't glamorous or popular, but have a lot to offer in other ways. Seems like everywhere's getting hammered at the moment though.

Anyone on here using theirs as a fight support vehicle at Ogmore yesterday? Seriously I hope your Cali wasn’t damaged by the appalling behaviour (under any circumstances) and you were ok?75B18A4B-BBB4-4E3B-AFBD-5824FED787E1.jpeg
Ogmore-by-Sea: Two detained after mass brawl on beach https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53186920

Yes I agree Elly, I would love to go to Cornwall for the week we are off in July before the kids break up officially but I think it will be too busy so we are thinking of going further north.

Anyone on here using theirs as a fight support vehicle at Ogmore yesterday? Seriously I hope your Cali wasn’t damaged by the appalling behaviour (under any circumstances) and you were ok?View attachment 61586
Ogmore-by-Sea: Two detained after mass brawl on beach https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53186920
I hope that fighting obeyed the social distancing rules !

The problem now is that people in general are expected to use common sense and be socially responsible. Many people can’t get their heads around the new normal, or don’t want to?

I went to Mudeford on Thursday, Avon Beach was mobbed at 10am, i could have parked up and headed to the beach but I didn’t even stop.
I just drove by, went to the quayside, assessed the situation, it was far less busy and people were a lot more spread out, I parked up, chose a sparsely populated part of the area, enjoyed the sun and sea, crabbing and left by 1.30 when the car park was full of queues to park, went to to a local fish and chip shop, ate in a local park (very few other people in the park, very well spread out)
If I had experienced a high volume of people, who were unable to be socially responsible, at any point, I would have simply left to go elsewhere or gone home,.
We had a lovely day, we stayed socially responsible and distanced at all times. ( except when a woman wanted to get to the parking meter my wife was standing at, so see touched her to get her to move :headbang).
I did witness many many people respecting the social distances very respectfully, although many more did not !

That’s the difference very few want to change the “old” ingrained normal mind set.
People are still of a mind set where “ I want therefore I will “ still controls their decision making process, even at the expense of others and no one appears to want to do the right thing for social responsibility.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of places where the masses don't want to go. Places that aren't glamorous or popular, but have a lot to offer in other ways. Seems like everywhere's getting hammered at the moment though.
I know you are Elly. I failed to acknowledge that in my previous post. Sorry. :(

If we do go anywhere for any length of time it will probably be back to the Herefordshire/Welsh border area. It's not a tourist hotspot in fact it's quite the reverse. We have had very many holidays in that area over the years and it never fails to delight. Walking along the Hergest Ridge above Kington is quite superb. A picnic above Kington Golf course on the National Trust land is highly recommended. The views are breathtaking.

20200626_100333.jpg
Hergest Ridge - I nicked this image from the interweb but maintain that no photo could ever do it justice.

Hay on Wye, the Gospel Pass, The Cat's Back, the Black Mountains, Wenlock Edge, the Long Mynd, NT's Carding Mill Valley, glorious Wales and much more are all just an easy drive away. However I can see places like Carding Mill Valley being rammed if the weather is anywhere near half decent.

20200626_100253.jpg

The Cat's Back is a ridge that you can walk along with views that are stunning. There is a very nice circuitous route from the car park

P.s Don't tell anyone else. :thumb

Last edited:
I hope that fighting obeyed the social distancing rules !

The problem now is that people in general are expected to use common sense and be socially responsible. Many people can’t get their heads around the new normal, or don’t want to?

I went to Mudeford on Thursday, Avon Beach was mobbed at 10am, i could have parked up and headed to the beach but I didn’t even stop.
I just drove by, went to the quayside, assessed the situation, it was far less busy and people were a lot more spread out, I parked up, chose a sparsely populated part of the area, enjoyed the sun and sea, crabbing and left by 1.30 when the car park was full of queues to park, went to to a local fish and chip shop, ate in a local park (very few other people in the park, very well spread out)
If I had experienced a high volume of people, who were unable to be socially responsible, at any point, I would have simply left to go elsewhere or gone home,.
We had a lovely day, we stayed socially responsible and distanced at all times. ( except when a woman wanted to get to the parking meter my wife was standing at, so see touched her to get her to move :headbang).
I did witness many many people respecting the social distances very respectfully, although many more did not !

That’s the difference very few want to change the “old” ingrained normal mind set.
People are still of a mind set where “ I want therefore I will “ still controls their decision making process, even at the expense of others and no one appears to want to do the right thing for social responsibility.
Nice spot often go there and if we don't eat at the Noisy Lobster go into Poole and get Fish & Chips from Chez Fred. Don't think we will be doing that again for a while.

I know you are Elly. I failed to acknowledge that in my previous post. Sorry. :(

If we do go anywhere for any length of time it will probably be back to the Herefordshire/Welsh border area. It's not a tourist hotspot in fact it's quite the reverse. We have had very many holidays in that area over the years and it never fails to delight. Walking along the Hergest Ridge above Kington is quite superb. A picnic above Kington Golf course on the National Trust land highly recommended. The views are breathtaking.

View attachment 61592
Hergest Ridge - I nicked this image from the interweb but maintain that no photo could ever do it justice.

Hay on Wye, the Gospel Pass, The Cat's Back, the Black Mountains, Wenlock Edge, the Long Mynd, NT's Carding Mill Valley, glorious Wales and much more are all just an easy drive away. However I can see places like Carding Mill Valley being rammed if the weather is anywhere near half decent.

View attachment 61593

The Cat's Back is a ridge that you can walk along with views that are stunning. There is a very nice circuitous route from the car park

P.s Don't tell anyone else. :thumb
There’s a nice pub with a small campsite near cats back, showers electric hook up if you need it. Amazing food.
The bridge inn Michaelchurch ecsley, don’t know if they will be open.
Pitches are just in car park by a little stream nothing fancy, nice for one or two nights.

Back