Votes: 80 26.6%
  • 37-39 MPG

Votes: 65 21.6%
  • 40-42 MPG

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 42+ MPG

Votes: 7 2.3%

• Total voters
Well said that man. My sentiments exactly. Get out and enjoy. Look at all the range rovers
Out there that are barely getting 20 to the gallon :rofl :rofl :rofl

I agree Cody, was just getting a bit less than expected! But it has a big fuel tank so range is decent. Big grim in Cornwall today so may stay in for once. Had fun in it yesterday!

We've just done Merton (Oxon) - Bacup (Lancs) and back did 34.6 on way up and 34.9 on return trip which again I am very happy with. Btw the two trips were entirely different on the way up went up M40 then M42 then across to my dads near Derby and then the remainder of the trip up was just a leisurely bimble through a few old haunts for myself and Loz onto Thornbridge Brewery at Bakewell to stock up ;) our route then took us to Buxton, Chapel en Le Frith, Glossop, Honley, Huddersfield, Sowerby Br, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden and onto Bacup so across a good stretch of the peak district, quite a few hills and a fair bit of snow still on Good Friday. The return trip today was more direct M66, M60, M62, M6 then M42 M40 and off at Banbury and road way back to Merton.

That is interesting Fin that such different outes give almost identical MPG.
On reading this thread I would have expecting your Outbound route (I know bits of it) to be much more thirsty.

I tend to be more interested in ranges and can confirm you can go from Aral fuel station in Wankum (no, really ) on the German/Dutch border to the Tunnel and on to Ripon in North Yorkshire, via Bedford on a tank! Speed held at about 120kph (75 in real money) as not in a rush. Appreciate that got an 80l tank but that still works for me.

Skywalker said:
That is interesting Fin that such different outes give almost identical MPG.
On reading this thread I would have expecting your Outbound route (I know bits of it) to be much more thirsty.

I totally agree with you but on reading this thread I've been keeping a very keen eye on the MPG and how I/we drive so I was surprised as well with the differing routes. I drove on the way up and Loz on the way back, we were carrying almost exactly the same amount of gear there and back, Loz drove at a fairly steady 65-70mph on the way back, the weather was truly atrocious but not too windy which was a help I guess and we were pleased with the MPG. However more pleased on the way there, I didn't quite expect to get it to mid thirties with all of those hills, but to be fair we never hit any traffic and rarely got stuck behind anything and whilst there are more than a few steep climbs there is also a fair bit of driving through the valleys at a steady rate of knots.

I think its obvious you'd get more going back down south.

Look at England on a globe and you can see its down hill quite easily. :roll:

We've just come back from Cornwall (Boscastle) 
Over the long weekend,
and overall we have achieved 44.2 mpg overall on our return, which is better than my wildest dreams! considering the engine is still tight, and is the  4 motion 180, version. but in my favour is the wonderful six speed manual gearbox.... But didn't use 'cruise control' which I feel is to the detriment of true economy... Some of the hills we were getting 19 mpg going up, even at 40mph! which wasn't unexpected, but obviously what goes up must come down, and you could literally free wheel down the hills for miles with readings on the computer at 200 mpg in real time mode. 
Which more than makes up for the deficit going up hill in most cases, I think these vehicles could achieve even more with a bit of luck and restraint of the right foot time will tell..... :barmy

We didn't switch to average readings to we got home which would have been interesting considering 44.2 mpg was overall!!!

stephen said:
We've just come back from Cornwall (Boscastle) 
Over the long weekend,
and overall we have achieved 44.2 mpg overall on our return, which is better than my wildest dreams! considering the engine is still tight, and is the  4 motion 180, version. but in my favour is the wonderful six speed manual gearbox.... But didn't use 'cruise control' which I feel is to the detriment of true economy... Some of the hills we were getting 19 mpg going up, even at 40mph! which wasn't unexpected, but obviously what goes up must come down, and you could literally free wheel down the hills for miles with readings on the computer at 200 mpg in real time mode. 
Which more than makes up for the deficit going up hill in most cases, I think these vehicles could achieve even more with a bit of luck and restraint of the right foot time will tell..... :barmy

We didn't switch to average readings to we got home which would have been interesting considering 44.2 mpg was overall!!!

Thats encouraging and has re-ignited my interest in a possible 4Motion purchase :barmy

KernowLad said:

Just imagine what you would do at 80?....2mpg

I myself tend to always slow down on the hills going up, not trying to keep progress at a fixed speed for such a heavy vehicle, and coast down the other side where the weight of the cali is a bonus... And very quickly find that other road uses hinder your progress if you're not careful :eek:

stephen said:
KernowLad said:

I myself tend to always slow down on the hills going up, not trying to keep progress at a fixed speed for such a heavy vehicle, and coast down the other side where the weight of the cali is a bonus... And very quickly find that other road uses hinder your progress if you're not careful :eek:

And do you find they tend to look like this?

vintage+tractor+road+run+176.JPG

Rarely do 80 but on the flat, low 30s mpg.

KernowLad said:
stephen said:
KernowLad said:

And do you find they tend to look like this?

vintage+tractor+road+run+176.JPG

Rarely do 80 but on the flat, low 30s mpg.

Let me suggest that you find a hill.... what I would class as a hill anyway, and as you go over the top in the Cali, make sure your speedometer is registering roughly 50mph by then! Then select neutral on the gearbox, you will see the vehicle rapidly accelerating, if you don't bottle-out! don't be surprised at speeds in excess of 100 mph :shocked all for free 'obviously completely illegal' but it does show you what 'excessive weight' in a vehicle can do, used wisely... ;)

I think the topic about 'fuel consumption' must be on peoples minds! because this is turning into the longest posting I've ever seen on here... ha ha :grin:

Well diesel is now 10p a litre cheaper than it was a month ago - woo hoo!

Still too expensive.

Looks like the Croyton refinery is going to close. Administrator can't find a buyer. This will probably mean the price will jump back up that 10p.

With 5000 miles on the clock the california got 34 mpg on a 350 mile run from the NE to Kent based on miles & fuel used, this agreed with the van computer. Driving was fast and furious as we had a train to catch; but with the UK traffic it wasn't that fast just hard work. On the motorways in France cruise control at 76mph around 32 mpg. Go slower the mpg goes up & up.
However driving hard back home up the A1 with stop start 80+ mph less than 29 mpg.
This is on a 4 motion fully loaded 180 4 motion California.

bh-15 said:
With 5000 miles on the clock the california got 34 mpg on a 350 mile run from the NE to Kent based on miles & fuel used, this agreed with the van computer. Driving was fast and furious as we had a train to catch; but with the UK traffic it wasn't that fast just hard work. On the motorways in France cruise control at 76mph around 32 mpg. Go slower the mpg goes up & up.
However driving hard back home up the A1 with stop start 80+ mph less than 29 mpg.
This is on a 4 motion fully loaded 180 4 motion California.

bh-15,
I reckon you should be well pleased with that. I hope mine improves to that level. We have a 140 with only 1500 on the clock and I'm getting 32 mpg brim to brim but I am driving with a light foot, no hammering and usually at about 65 on motorways. The computer show a distinct worsening on A roads, sinking fast as you deal with roundabouts etc whereas it's knocking on to 38 or 39 on steady motorway trips. And that is lightly loaded!
So you've given me hope for a less expensive future! Thank you.

David

I've stopped worrying about the mpg on our 174 tip.
28mpg seems normal for us, if i drive it like a grandad on the right road i can sometimes get upper 30's but who wants to drive like that all the time :lol:
The mileage we do in a year it doesn't amount to too much - our was born in June 2009 and the 8000 just appeared the other week.

Freeley said:
I've stopped worrying about the mpg on our 174 tip.
28mpg seems normal for us, if i drive it like a grandad on the right road i can sometimes get upper 30's but who wants to drive like that all the time :lol:
The mileage we do in a year it doesn't amount to too much - our was born in June 2009 and the 8000 just appeared the other week.

Wow that is low miles! We're on 3800 after 4 months... :doh

KernowLad said:
I know this is a bit dull but with rising costs and our rather large fuel tanks, I'm a little alarmed at consistently averaging under 20mpg in our Cali (180)!

Okay it's on under 2,000 miles and almost all our driving is hilly/rural with a fair bit of stop starting but it's still rather harsh! I checked a journey to the waves and back today and got 19mpg with a fairly light foot. :eek:

The engine feels like it's loosening up nicely but is there a chance the mpg might improve a little as it runs in more?!

Has yours sorted itself out? Mine is still averagining around 20mpg. It's got 9k on the clock and is a year old. Before its year service it was doing more mpg. Don't know if they've 'tweaked' it????!!! Is that possible!?