Votes: 80 26.6%
  • 37-39 MPG

Votes: 65 21.6%
  • 40-42 MPG

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 42+ MPG

Votes: 7 2.3%

• Total voters
Recently had a six week trip to the Pyrenees and Alps, did 2700 miles, I usually average locally 34.7mpg, I increased to 36.8mpg, so well pleased, didn't do much driving when there, mostly cycling(2100miles and 94000' of accent awesome time), just done 22500miles, in for first service on Wednesday.

Kev
Ps 140

I'm averaging about 36-37mpg.

That's for gentle around town driving and motorways at 70mph.

Faster motorways (autobahns at 85mph) drop me to about 33mpg and slow motorway (65mph) gets me up to about 42mpg.

140 Manual with 9000 miles on the clock.

I was very pleased with this - it fits the combined cycle figures - until I noticed a BMW X5 xDrive 3.0l diesel in a Sunday supplement that seemed very fast (142mph, 0-62 in 6.9sec) and still had a combined cycle consumption of 46mpg. Gave me a pang of jealousy! :doh

Owned the Van 4 months now and here are the stats:

Total Miles we have done: 3454 (Total mile on milometer 4941)
Litres Put In: 567
Total Money Spent on Diesel: £742.26
Average MPG: 31.92
Average Pence per Mile: 18.6p

I record all fill ups in a spreadsheet and fill the tank each time so this should be a pretty good average - includes a mixture Holidays and round town driving.

The spreadsheet does show a slight improvement in MPG from fill to fill which I hope will continue

Yes I am sad - what is worse is I can provide those stats for all cars I have owned since 1996.

The van is a 62 Plate 180 DSG - no bike rack

T

teeboy said:
I record all fill ups in a spreadsheet and fill the tank each time so this should be a pretty good average...

Yes I am sad - what is worse is I can provide those stats for all cars I have owned since 1996.

Oh gawd, that's 2 of us then :shocked :help :lol:

Paul S said:
teeboy said:
I record all fill ups in a spreadsheet and fill the tank each time so this should be a pretty good average...

Oh gawd, that's 2 of us then :shocked :help :lol:

No, 3 of us !

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I get 28 to the gallon on a "in town traffic drive" On a run 30 to 35 (12k on clock)

Does anyone else get 'odd' days where the mpg appears poor for no apparent reason?
As an example just come back from Austria with the journey split over 2 days.
Day 1 Austria to Luxembourg via the Fern pass and driving at around 80mph when roads were clear I averaged 37mpg.
Day 2 Luxembourg to home (Southampton) via eurotunnel and driving at around 65 to 70mph on flatter roads I averaged 34.5mpg.

To me the 2nd day should have been the same or better mpg as I was in less of a hurry. The low mpg appeared to be at the start of the day as initially the avg mpg was struggling to get into the low 30s.
Possibly the DPF was regenerating?

The higher figure could be partly related to your position relative to sea level - less fuel may be needed at high altitudes. My 1300 Yamaha returned 99 mpg going up over the Stelvio but only normally gets 50ish on a normal journey!

Hi All
I have a 180 and have fitted a Kenwood DNX521DAB Sat Nav with extras. It has a neat facility within the Sat Nav software that allows me to input 'At The Pump' costs, miles driven, fule cost/litre & total fill up cost. In the past 5,000 miles since I bought the Cali it's averaging 39 mpg. It has 19,000 miles since new.

If you want to be really frugal it's handy to view this each time I fill up.

regards

PAul

130ps Manual bought new in 2009. We have now done 40000 miles. We can get 40 mpg on motorways at 55 to 60 mph. Day to day we usually average 35mpg. Very happy with it overall. We are considering updating to a 140, anyone had both?

Got 180 4 Motion approaching 5k miles. Already getting over 40mpg on trips around the Highlands of Scotland. It does come down to driving style. It really isn't down to speed, its down to being smooth. Believe me, I'm not slow!

This isn't taken from the MFD, I don't trust that. I do keep a spreadsheet of miles per fill and amount put in. I know, I should have better things to do with my time but I've done it for all my vehicles for many years and it is a great way of checking everything is running well.

Our 4motion also achieves around 36-40mpg, possibly a little bit lower on the winding country lanes but always above 35mpg which we are really happy with. As Sue correctly says it is all down to driving style.

Our old house was up a steep driveway that was too much for many delivery vans. 4mpg up that hill...

I usually get ca. 28-30mpg for the daily urban commute and 32-34mpg fully-laden on the motorway. I try to use the cruise control as often as possible, not only for economy reasons but also as a means of sticking to speed limits.

On a motorway run we normally stick it on cruise at around 75 or so, and fully laden with camping gear, clothes, water tank full and food in the fridge/cupboards we will get around 30 mpg. We only have about 9k on the clock though, so I'd imagine the engine is still quite tight.

On the 50 mile run to work (which is usually done in the company passat) that I did in the cali, unladen and through all the 50 mph limits on the M1/M62 a while back it returned somewhere near 40 mpg.

But, I didn't sell up a splitty and buy a Cali, just so I could keep driving at 55 with truck drivers crawling up my rear end, so I guess I'll be putting up with 30-odd mpg for a while, 'til he loosens up..:-D

We have a 180 automatic, 16 months old with 20000 on the clock and always get over 30mpg. We are currently in Italy and averaged 35 going mostly at 70 on the way south. Suggest all is not well! Even when new we were 30 plus. D + 2ndtimeround

Sorry it's not a cali ... but i previously had an 2006 caravelle 174 and now have a 2012 caravelle 180 ...both from new ... The 174 average mpg was 29 urban and 33 long runs ... It's now 31 urban and 37 long runs ... New van still only 16,000 so hope for more to come ... My best run so far was Poole to Bath with a 41 average ... The engine seems most efficient doing 50 ish on A roads ... I wonder how much is down to the low rolling resistance tyres ...

We have an early Cali and it is our only car (2.4 Diesel). The fuel consumption does depend... as we are frequently told... on how you drive it. We have done 90K miles in ours and my biggest tip is to keep (just) in the power band but don't drive too hard! At 2000 rpm the turbo seems to kick in and if I trundle motorways, on cruise control, in 5th gear at about 67 mph the mpg is really great - up towards 40mph.

We've jus been down to Switzerland & back, 1900 miles on mix of motorway (80 mph) & winding mountain roads (steep & slow). Average mpg is 34.00, in a 2008 2.5 which has now done about 20,000 miles.

Incidentally, we were happy to find that diesel is much cheaper in France (€1.40/litre) and even in Switzerland. Luckily we needed to fill up on arrival and again just before getting back on the ferry, so that saved us a few bob.

ps. We took the bike rack off and left it at home, don't know if that helped the mileage but at least we could see out of the back window.

I either drive like a chav or our very hilly terrain is to blame but I'm not getting anywhere near some of these mpg figures!

On a 400 mile drive in France (mostly autoroutes) I averaged 27mpg; we did stick to 81mph (9pn cruise) and had two boards on the roof but still thirsty.

It's unusual to get more than 30; we had a 140 Caravelle loaner for a few days and it was pretty much the same so it's not the engine power that's guzzling the diesel; oh and it wasn't 4motion either!

I have a 2008 Cali 2.5TDI PD SE 174 4 DR Diesel and get an average of 33mpg un loaded and 29 mpg loaded (3 bikes 2 kayaks and tow bar box. I've had it mapped which improved performance but not really mpg.
Hope this helps
Ewan

since keeping my tyres to fully laden pressure even when empty I am getting much better MPG

I have just turned 100,000 miles in my 2006 4 motion 174 with Oettinger remap pushing the torque and power up around 20%. On trip back from the alps yesterday averaged (speeds 60 to 80 mph) 32 mpg and with a good tail wind up to 33/34 (and this with a bike on the back and a 190W solar panel permanently fitted to the roof, and Vredestein Wintrac Extreme snow tyres). This has been pretty consistent - even around town I can usually get 30 to 31mpg.

Ralph

As with all diesel lumps you can't really make long term predictions on fuel use age till its well and truly run in took a good 30-40k for mine to settle. A 174 auto now 4 years old giving an av 37 mpg.