Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric bike shall I buy?

@Calimili I took the battery off yesterday.
It’s a lot lighter without the battery attached.
I also have the front rack with pannier which adds weight.

My wife’s just been looking at the Swytch conversion kit, and says they appear to be in stock and for sale on EBay, but you have to pay the full price of £900. It’s starting to look a bit expensive at that price. She’s also been looking at a Ribble CGR Al e, around £2300 depending on which groupset you have with it.
The Ribble has me tempted.

Try this one.
Just bought a kit.
Ask for a £50 discount voucher.
£545 with £50 discount.

Very easy to fit.
Lightweight, battery looks like a bottle.
Can still use a bottle on upright.

Just an FYI to Brompton electric owners as there seem to be a few on here: https://ch.brompton.com/recall

There is a voluntary recall on the electric kit. Seems like it can be fixed with a firmware update and no major issues but worth getting it fixed.

Only 10.3 kg

Looks great. Price ? Looks like they have missed a trick, in not making the front wheel to swing round, to make it compact like the Brompton.

Looks great. Price ? Looks like they have missed a trick, in not making the front wheel to swing round, to make it compact like the Brompton.

Article on the difficulties Brompton has in protecting its technical fold.

My wife’s just been looking at the Swytch conversion kit, and says they appear to be in stock and for sale on EBay, but you have to pay the full price of £900. It’s starting to look a bit expensive at that price. She’s also been looking at a Ribble CGR Al e, around £2300 depending on which groupset you have with it.
If you join the Swytch pre-order scheme you can get 50% off is you can wait for a long delivery...

Don’t buy an electric Brompton. Just don’t.
My second bike after the first replaced under warranty has now packed up after a firmware update.
I have resorted to buying a manual labour operated version as a back up.

35550FAA-A945-4B03-8E1E-A5EE5BD9D687.jpeg

Just the posting like don't want to read. I want positive vibes, as we still have to collect our Bromptons, promised for delivery on May 21st. The firmware problem, what ever that is, has supposed to be sorted on bikes produced after Feb 21. The dream is going south.

Just the posting like don't want to read. I want positive vibes, as we still have to collect our Bromptons, promised for delivery on May 21st. The firmware problem, what ever that is, has supposed to be sorted on bikes produced after Feb 21. The dream is going south.
The firmware problems I have are nothing to do with the safety recall. Last time they couldn’t find the fault and replaced the bike eventually after I insisted. This time, we’ll see…

It’s a great bike when it works.

The firmware problems I have are nothing to do with the safety recall. Last time they couldn’t find the fault and replaced the bike eventually after I insisted. This time, we’ll see…

It’s a great bike when it works.
I'll hang on to your last comment.

I would only consider a Bosch powered eBike.
Ok then. From the linked article:

So, which is the best motor?

There is no longer just one best eMTB motor. The market has become too differentiated and on account of the countless variables and customisation options, there’s no way of rating the different motors in isolation either. The best motor is only as good as the bike into which it’s built. If the basic concept of the bike doesn’t work, even the best motor won’t be able to transform it into a good eMTB. Think carefully about when, how, and where you want to ride. Once you’ve figured that out, we’ve compiled an overview on the following pages to show you which motor is most suitable for you and your riding

Don’t buy an electric Brompton. Just don’t.
My second bike after the first replaced under warranty has now packed up after a firmware update.
I have resorted to buying a manual labour operated version as a back up.

View attachment 79896
My electric Brompton is brilliant. A life-saver for someone with both knees replaced. No problems (yet!). It fits under the rear shelf of my T6.1 ocean. No need for a bike rack. The electric Brompton and California are MFEO.

My electric Brompton is brilliant. A life-saver for someone with both knees replaced. No problems (yet!). It fits under the rear shelf of my T6.1 ocean. No need for a bike rack. The electric Brompton and California are MFEO.
Mine were both brilliant right up until the moment they were not. Neither of them lasted more than 400 miles. Brompton customer services are brilliant, which is a relief.

Ok then. From the linked article:

So, which is the best motor?

There is no longer just one best eMTB motor. The market has become too differentiated and on account of the countless variables and customisation options, there’s no way of rating the different motors in isolation either. The best motor is only as good as the bike into which it’s built. If the basic concept of the bike doesn’t work, even the best motor won’t be able to transform it into a good eMTB. Think carefully about when, how, and where you want to ride. Once you’ve figured that out, we’ve compiled an overview on the following pages to show you which motor is most suitable for you and your riding

The one I want has to be a folder to fit under the rear shelf so that limits the choices. The Tern Vektron S10 ticks all my boxes although I'd prefer the belt drive and enviolo auto transmission. Cleaner and low maintenance.

The one I want has to be a folder to fit under the rear shelf so that limits the choices. The Tern Vektron S10 ticks all my boxes although I'd prefer the belt drive and enviolo auto transmission. Cleaner and low maintenance.
It’s a good choice, but a completely different beast to the Brompton. Much bigger folded and much heavier.

Back