Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric bike shall I buy?

It’s a good choice, but a completely different beast to the Brompton. Much bigger folded and much heavier.
Its only about 10lbs difference which I can live with just fine. For safety I prefer the 20" wheels to the 16" on the Brompton, and that will increase the folded dimensions.

Its only about 10lbs difference which I can live with just fine. For safety I prefer the 20" wheels to the 16" on the Brompton, and that will increase the folded dimensions.
I would not want to carry an extra 5kg up a flight of stairs. I don’t need to lock the Brompton up anywhere as I can take it with me. Does yours have a shopping trolley mode? Can you take yours on a train as luggage? The Brompton has some very unique advantages. Horses for courses.

I would not want to carry an extra 5kg up a flight of stairs. I don’t need to lock the Brompton up anywhere as I can take it with me. Does yours have a shopping trolley mode? Can you take yours on a train as luggage? The Brompton has some very unique advantages. Horses for courses.
The Vektron weighs in at 22.1kg
The EBrompton is 13.7 to 14.7kg

The tern is therefore up to 8.4 kg heavier, which equates to 60% heavier.

Would the eBrompton be ok to charge off your van inverter as they don’t produce a true ac.
Just wondering if this had anything to do with problems, I don’t know what Brompton advise as I’m leg powered still.

Would the eBrompton be ok to charge off your van inverter as they don’t produce a true ac.
Just wondering if this had anything to do with problems, I don’t know what Brompton advise as I’m leg powered still.
This has crossed my mind. In particular when the voltage drops too low, the charging cuts out and then recovers, at this point I start the engine, and the charging resumes normally. I hope it has some input circuit protection. They have tested the battery on another bike and it works ok. The failures occur when I’m riding it, not directly after charging the last one was a few miles after a firmware upgrade.

Mine were both brilliant right up until the moment they were not. Neither of them lasted more than 400 miles. Brompton customer services are brilliant, which is a relief.
What happened to your Bromptons before 400 miles ?
We've just got ours. Unboxed today, batteries on charge tonight.

This has crossed my mind. In particular when the voltage drops too low, the charging cuts out and then recovers, at this point I start the engine, and the charging resumes normally. I hope it has some input circuit protection. They have tested the battery on another bike and it works ok. The failures occur when I’m riding it, not directly after charging the last one was a few miles after a firmware upgrade.
I was thinking more along the lines of you are turning a dc into a poor ac (with inverter), then the bike charger is converting it back again to dc.

What happened to your Bromptons before 400 miles ?
We've just got ours. Unboxed today, batteries on charge tonight.
The first one never worked properly, it would cut out over modest bumps, and I would have to turn it off and on again multiple times a ride.
The second one was perfect, never cut out, felt better put together, no battery rattles, the I had it serviced and I asked them to check the firmware was up to date. They updated it, and straight out of the shop it cut out on a modest bump and then after a couple of hours riding that day I hit a little bump and it just died.

I was thinking more along the lines of you are turning a dc into a poor ac (with inverter), then the bike charger is converting it back again to dc.
Yes, it’s possible but the battery is removed from the bike to charge it, and in both cases the problem seems to be corrupted firmware. The control unit is separate from the battery. When they check the battery it works ok on another bike, which indicates the battery is not the problem. On the first bike they never found the problem after changing everything including the control unit, motor etc. I am waiting for them to change some parts on this one.

I hired an emtb and was great fun, nearly bought one not a Brompton as need mountain bike (lucky they are hard to find at mo).
Decided to stick with leg power as very rarely on hook up and weight of emtb (bloody impossible to pedal with flat bat I found), also thought zeb (dog) would struggle to keep pace with ebike as he’s getting on.
Less to go wrong on a manual.
Just need it to turn up now.

I hired an emtb and was great fun, nearly bought one not a Brompton as need mountain bike (lucky they are hard to find at mo).
Decided to stick with leg power as very rarely on hook up and weight of emtb (bloody impossible to pedal with flat bat I found), also thought zeb (dog) would struggle to keep pace with ebike as he’s getting on.
Less to go wrong on a manual.
Just need it to turn up now.
I have just brought a manual Brompton and it really is great, hassle free, light, fun, rubbish going up hill.

the 13-14kg of the Brompton it is without battery. It should be ~17kg with the battery.

the 13-14kg of the Brompton it is without battery. It should be ~17kg with the battery.
So the battery weighs 2.9kg. Which takes it up to 15.9 to 16.9Kg, however the battery is quick release in its own bag which has a shoulder strap or handle, so you are not having to carry it upstairs installed on the bike, which makes a difference.

I have ordered the Swytch kit. I'll probably receive it in September!!!
I wanted a light bike to carry on the tailgate bike rack and down 1 flight of stairs to my underground storage.
Options were Brompton electric which I'd love but I need to do a bit of light offroad and the Brompton is designed for urban commuting and it is great if not the best at that but obviously the worst for any offroad.
The Cube Compact Hybrid Sport would have been the next choice.
Or I electrify my 15.5kg current touring bike with Deore shifting and Magura brakes, bike that I love, and I would have a 18.5 kg electric bike.
I just need a little help on long uphills. The 50km range of the Swytch is more than enough and it's just 3kg all in.
Also cost wise, because if I look at E-bike with same component as mine, I'll end up well north of 3500€

My bike is in for a service send TLC clean-up on Sunday.

600 miles intensive over 4 weeks, cart track roads, gravel and mud, 11% gradients and not a blip. Totally relaxed cycling except when ditching me into loose road gravel at 15mph.

The one I want has to be a folder to fit under the rear shelf so that limits the choices. The Tern Vektron S10 ticks all my boxes although I'd prefer the belt drive and enviolo auto transmission. Cleaner and low maintenance.
The tern is fabulous. I have just purchased two. But they are heavy. Heavier to lift and fold than the comparative figures suggest. I did try the electric Brompton, and because of easy battery removal it is a much less arduous task to fold. Having said that …. I wouldn’t change my tern. But it is most certainly a case of fitness for purpose that dictates the choice. And just as an aside, the tern is significantly more stable in my experience than the Brompton.

Don’t buy an electric Brompton. Just don’t.
My second bike after the first replaced under warranty has now packed up after a firmware update.
I have resorted to buying a manual labour operated version as a back up.

View attachment 79896
So they have fixed it by replacing both the motor and control unit. The Brompton customer service is exceptional and it does have a 7 year warranty.

I know it’s slightly off topic , and I will declare I do like bikes of all kinds and have a m6l Brompton, orange mountain bike, boardman hybrid, ice recumbent trike… I saw a family (touring I think) using a hase pino electric tandem. Have a look on YouTube . It’s a really versatile bike available with shimano steps .. but can be made into a cargo bike, tandem , solo ride … looks a great bit of kit

https://hasebikes.com/96-1-Tandem-PINO-STEPS.html
B7D1F153-CC05-401A-8389-E1E48D0C7B94.jpeg

I know it’s slightly off topic , and I will declare I do like bikes of all kinds and have a m6l Brompton, orange mountain bike, boardman hybrid, ice recumbent trike… I saw a family (touring I think) using a hase pino electric tandem. Have a look on YouTube . It’s a really versatile bike available with shimano steps .. but can be made into a cargo bike, tandem , solo ride … looks a great bit of kit

https://hasebikes.com/96-1-Tandem-PINO-STEPS.html
View attachment 80907
The one convertible into cargo it would be an ideal quasi-car replacement. But 8,600 euros??..

Anyone with Brompton Electrics after several years of use, I’d like your feedback please as I’m researching buying one. I’ve had a go at folding one in a shop and it looks great for the van in regards to space.

• Can you charge it in the California?
  • Do you ever charge the pack in campsites, cafes?
  • Is the bag to stow it worth it?
  • Have you taken it on a plane (& how?)
  • Do you use panniers, rucksacks or a trailer?
  • How does it cope on mild rough tracks (that you can get around campsites)
  • Any other tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Anyone with Brompton Electrics after several years of use, I’d like your feedback please as I’m researching buying one. I’ve had a go at folding one in a shop and it looks great for the van in regards to space.

• Can you charge it in the California?
  • Do you ever charge the pack in campsites, cafes?
  • Is the bag to stow it worth it?
  • Have you taken it on a plane (& how?)
  • Do you use panniers, rucksacks or a trailer?
  • How does it cope on mild rough tracks (that you can get around campsites)
  • Any other tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thank you!
We've had our Brompton electrics for a couple of years, but we don't take them in the Cali. We do take them in the Golf where we find they just fit in the boot, still allowing us to fit in two aircraft cabin bags plus bits. So sorry, can't give you Cali specific info.

Bought the Brompton travel bags, very expensive, very good quality, but never used, make them too big for our use. Use large stong plastic bags from Costco. I think a lot of people use IKEA bags.
For sale: Two Brompton travel bags, new and unused!

Use the bikes on rough gravel tracks and tow paths, not comfortable, but doable!

Found the Brompton service agents useless if you have a problem.

Back