Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Electric Bike?

You could always build/put together your own.?
Mine is now coming upto 7 yrs old and just replaced the crank sensor after getting it water logged in a flood.
I wasn't aware that a diy build was possible. Did you buy a kit or source the various components separately?

Ive never been a 'biker' be it on road or off. As in someone that regularly gets out on the push iron apart from leisure rides with kids but I do enjoy the odd warmer weather outing on my todd.

However, after purchasing my first ebike (Haibike Sduro) last August , Ive never covered so many miles. Reckon I've covered the same miles in the last 6 months as I have done in the last 5 years on my old bike :oops:. Apart from now getting out every weekend for a 35+ mile ride and also a couple of evenings each week too, its where this ebike can take me. My use has changed because of the bikes capabilities and im now tackling various hilly offroad (scenic) trails and having some fun at local bike trails such as Sherwood pines (my mtb skills are zero it has to be said). I was even eyeing up the London to Brighton offroad trail thats coming up in Sept. (but maybe next year! :D)

Ive even and already recently changed my original ebike to a full suspension mountain bike due to a new desire for further exploration! . The whole ebike thing gets a big :thumbup from me in whatever guise you may choose. One thing is for sure that an ebike does ramp up the fun a notch or 2. :D

I wasn't aware that a diy build was possible. Did you buy a kit or source the various components separately?
Bought the kit. It's an Australian company but there UK operations are at Heathrow. Email queries and support is from Australia but their merchandise is all from the UK.
The thing I liked is the fact that you have Pedal Assist + a handy throttle. If the battery runs out then it is a normal bike, just a little heavier because of the battery and motor. NB, I've never run out of battery but use it without the battery on occasions.

There are also these Borris,

Just need to change the front wheel.

Bought the kit. It's an Australian company but there UK operations are at Heathrow. Email queries and support is from Australia but their merchandise is all from the UK.
The thing I liked is the fact that you have Pedal Assist + a handy throttle. If the battery runs out then it is a normal bike, just a little heavier because of the battery and motor. NB, I've never run out of battery but use it without the battery on occasions.
Thanks WG,
That's another option I'll explore. :thumb

There are also these Borris,

Just need to change the front wheel.

Thanks GJ,
Both of these diy options look very interesting and are worthy of further research. However, since I don't own a bicycle at present it gives me the extra issue of choosing a pedal bike as well. We shall see!

Who would have thought that this issue would be so complex?

Thanks GJ,
Both of these diy options look very interesting and are worthy of further research. However, since I don't own a bicycle at present it gives me the extra issue of choosing a pedal bike as well. We shall see!

Who would have thought that this issue would be so complex?

I am so glad that I did not do the research, and I'm not being in any way clever by saying that.

I think if I was going through all the options now I would be cycleless still.

We started talking about Jo's dream, over a bottle or two of wine of course, in an hour decided that E-bikes were the answer to a grannie's prayer, made an appointment at the local e-bike centre the next day, wandered in, told him what we wanted them for, tried out three bikes, one was a clear winner, 2 ordered there and then.

now I look back and the choices and options are endless. I'm glad I never knew of them when I ordered :shocked

To be honest Borris, I wouldn’t look twice at the DIY kits.
It’s a bit like using a fork for soup.
You will have a much better experience buying something purpose built...

To be honest Borris, I wouldn’t look twice at the DIY kits.
It’s a bit like using a fork for soup.
You will have a much better experience buying something purpose built...
:Iamsorry I disagree. Depends if you are a capable DIY mechanic. Some of these e-bikes are grossly overpriced for what they are.

I am so glad that I did not do the research, and I'm not being in any way clever by saying that.

I think if I was going through all the options now I would be cycleless still.

We started talking about Jo's dream, over a bottle or two of wine of course, in an hour decided that E-bikes were the answer to a grannie's prayer, made an appointment at the local e-bike centre the next day, wandered in, told him what we wanted them for, tried out three bikes, one was a clear winner, 2 ordered there and then.

now I look back and the choices and options are endless. I'm glad I never knew of them when I ordered :shocked
So what you're saying is I need to drink a couple of bottles of wine and the decision will become clear.
Unfortunately, that reminds me of the time that our eldest and his then fiancée met up with Mrs B and myself to sample wines for their wedding. We sampled six whole bottles between us before forgetting what we had chosen. The whole process had to be repeated several days later!

I sold my brother-in-laws old Raleigh electric bike and the kit on that looked very similar (ie electric drive on the front wheel, battery on the rear rack, plus 24 (3x8) traditional gears.). Worked really well, I was quite surprised!

:Iamsorry I disagree. Depends if you are a capable DIY mechanic. Some of these e-bikes are grossly overpriced for what they are.

I agree they’re overpriced.
It’s great to hear so many positives from people using them. Just fantastic.

It would be great if the government could get behind a scheme to enable more people to purchase them at a lower price point.

I agree they’re overpriced.
It’s great to hear so many positives from people using them. Just fantastic.

It would be great if the government could get behind a scheme to enable more people to purchase them at a lower price point.
Here in Luxembourg, the government has various schemes to try to get people to stop using petrol and diesel vehicles. All public transport is free (trains, buses, tram), there is up to 8000 Euro subsidy for buying an electric or hybrid vehicle, and up to 600 Euro subsidy for buying a bike or pedelec (plus an additional 200 Euro from the commune) - in each case max 50% of the purchase price. All good schemes, and they are very popular.

Roads are still clogged up with smelly cars and vans though!

We normally cycle to school in the morning. With it being wet today, we walked.
Seem to be a lot of traffic this morning, so we made an effort to look closer at the vehicles passing.
I would say roughly. 70% of vehicles passed had kids with uniforms on in their car.
We watched one of our neighbours, dropping their two off at the bus stop at the end of the road. Honestly it’s a 4 minute walk...

We normally cycle to school in the morning. With it being wet today, we walked.
Seem to be a lot of traffic this morning, so we made an effort to look closer at the vehicles passing.
I would say roughly. 70% of vehicles passed had kids with uniforms on in their car.
We watched one of our neighbours, dropping their two off at the bus stop at the end of the road. Honestly it’s a 4 minute walk...
Gone have the days of children actually walking to school. :Nailbiting

Having children these days is certainly an eye opener.

Here in Luxembourg, the government has various schemes to try to get people to stop using petrol and diesel vehicles. All public transport is free (trains, buses, tram), there is up to 8000 Euro subsidy for buying an electric or hybrid vehicle, and up to 600 Euro subsidy for buying a bike or pedelec (plus an additional 200 Euro from the commune) - in each case max 50% of the purchase price. All good schemes, and they are very popular.

Roads are still clogged up with smelly cars and vans though!
Id heard a rumour that the government were considering paying 25-30% of the cost of an ebike.

This was last year Id heard this but cant find anything about it now. Perhaps I was dreaming? :talktothehand

EDIT: Its possibly still a goer at somepoint : https://www.bikeradar.com/news/electric-bike-subsidy/

Id heard a rumour that the government were considering paying 25-30% of the cost of an ebike.

This was last year Id heard this but cant find anything about it now. Perhaps I was dreaming? :talktothehand

EDIT: Its possibly still a goer at somepoint : https://www.bikeradar.com/news/electric-bike-subsidy/
Haha, so eventually there will be a glut of little used Ebikes in sheds & garages. Should be able to get a good second deal 12 months after the government discount, provided the battery will still hold a charge!

Have got my bikes through the cycle to work scheme, so cost comes out of your salary before tax & NI deductions. Ride them for 12 months and then sell 2nd hand, then order a new one on the cycle to work scheme..etc

Cycle to work discounted amount is capped at £1000 so would guess most decent Ebikes are in excess of this amount, so they might increase the cap, but would mean the government would receive less income tax/NI.

Gone have the days of children actually walking to school. :Nailbiting

Having children these days is certainly an eye opener.

I've just popped on mapometer to measure my old walk to school.1.3 miles each way regardless of the weather to my secondary school, 0.6 mile each way to my Primary. No buses, no cars then.

A strange world when technology has moved waterproof clothes into the stratosphere compared with when I was a kid yet few children seem allowed to get wet these days.

I can argue that roads are less safe with the amount of traffic but the pavements are so much safer today with more controlled crossing points etc. and dedicated walk/cycleways.

I often question myself and ask am I being too simplistic when I compare the transportation of children to school in cars, plus the elimination of open space playgrounds and mandatory sports days, to the degree of child obesity.

I'm becoming a waffling old biddy in my dotage .... sorry :(

Last edited:
I've just popped on mapometer to measure my old walk to school.1.3 miles each way regardless of the weather to my secondary school, 0.6 mile each way to my Primary. No buses, no cars then.

A strange world when technology has moved waterproof clothes into the stratosphere compared with when I was a kid yet few children seem allowed to get wet these days.

I can argue that roads are less safe with the amount of traffic but the pavements are so much safer today with more controlled crossing points etc. and dedicated walk/cycleways.

I often question myself and ask am I being too simplistic when I compare the transportation of children to school in cars, plus the elimination of open space playgrounds and mandatory sports days, to the degree of child obesity.

Yes, waterproof trousers seem to be a rare sight on kids getting to school these days - the car is often seen as their waterproofs. For those that live within a 30 min walk (10 min cycle) of secondary school there is no excuse for car drop offs, which take away kids autonomy as well as cause highway and pollution havoc.

Not at all. its very much a change in attitudes and of changing times.

Things have changed so much in the last 50 years. (I cant believe the 70s were THAT long ago) but heres a few facts from a book I was recently given on this exact subject :

• Some Primary Schools from 2007 banning traditional playground games such as kiss chase or tag because they were deemed too rough and running too dangerous in a playground
  • Children getting fines from the police for chalking on the pavement
  • Police DNA testing some children for climbing a tree in a park.
  • in 1971 8 out of 10 children aged 7 or 8 walked to school on their own (as did I at that age with my younger brother) where in 1990 its now 1 in 10. Again in 1971 same age range was making trips to their friends and to the local shops on their own. Where in 1990 you were 10+ before doing the same.
  • in 60s & 70s children utilised upto 10miles to play, 80s it was 5miles, 90s 2miles and nowadays its the same street or the garden.
  • In 1975, parents on average looked after / supervised their kids for 25 mins each day where nowadays its nearer 120mins.

I cant say its for the better, I really cant. Admittedly my 2 youngsters 10 & 12 are just as mollycoddled as their peers. Sadly.

Sorry for the hijack :oops: