Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric bike shall I buy?

Not wishing to use a bike rack we are restricted to folding bikes that can be stored inside the California when travelling / camping. The two Bromptons have recently been sold and replaced with two e-bikes from Volt Bikes. Mrs altvic is pretty hopeless on a pushbike so a battery model seemed the way forward and I followed suit as didn’t wish to get left behind!

The model I purchased was a Volt Axis comprising an internal geared hub with 8 gears from Shimano (Alfine) and a Shimano ‘Steps’ motor on the crank; and a chain drive.

Weight without the battery is c.16kg and battery weighs about 2.5kg. Heavier than the Brompton and larger when folded, we will travel with the two bikes in the ‘lounge’ area; when camping there will be some considerations to keeping safe vs living space. I was thinking of either chaining to the vehicle wheels or bringing inside to front seats or ???

The only issue I have found with the Volt Axis is part of the gearing system, which is either Manual change or Automatic. The manual works fine but the auto changing is unworkable on any slight incline as it cannot ‘make its mind up’ what gear to be in and unhealthy grinding noises can be heard if it gears down. On the flat automatic gearing is not too bad so I’ll keep the bike in the hope that Shimano will come out with a fix (not holding breath).

The Volt Metro LS is a rear hub drive with Derailleur gears, I await its arrival tomorrow.

I blame the smile on Mrs @soulstyledevon for this costly purchase:)

1594036559133.png1594036559366.png1594036559536.png

This appeared at a great price and I couldn’t resist. My new little mover for the shop/school runs. Will probably stick it on the back of the van for when we’re travelling to cities and stuff.
2nd hand, but totally immaculate.
It’s a riot...!!!
Kalkhoff Durban.

C6A9B6DA-5134-4DF4-A64F-B46FD54D0B75.jpeg

Not another one... :)
I just can’t help myself, I’ve gone e-bike crazy.

BF12A1B2-8F6A-400D-B127-D403EA9609D0.jpeg

Just my expereience. My wife Sarah has a Cube Elly which she loves . We were working in Cambodia in February and March. I had thankfully ordered a Cube Khatmandhu Hybrid Pro 625 and Inpicked it up on 13th March.
We live in a very hilly edge of Dartmoor.

In lick down from 13/3 for two months we cycled 1000 miles together. Not a single hill round here was too much. We now use them to donall our shopping. A twelve mile round trip on local roads to Okehampton or Chagford. We didnt use the car once in 2 months.
BRILLIANT.
I changed the tyres to the mist puncture proof.

It will happily cope with rough Dartmoor tracks ...but not a real off roader.

Heavy so we have a Thule tow bar rack which I would thoroughly recommend ... making sure it is suited for these heavy bikes.

Remember batteries are heavy and expensive and slowly hold less charge .... so get at least 500 mA ..... mine is 625mA .... I can do 60 miles on big hills ....
50 newtons great for gentle slopes but 65better and if off roading 75-85.

Recommend
Good lock
Orlieb waterproof bags

It has been my best buy EVER. But that may be overtaken by my Cali next spring.

That’s what we have found to @dartmoordingoe
We have become less reliant on the second car. We laugh at parents on the school run caught up in the traffic jams as we whizz by.
Takes us sub 15 mins on the bikes compared to 20/25mins driving and 35 plus minutes walking.

I have an Ortlieb pannier on the way :cool:

That’s what we have found to @dartmoordingoe
We have become less reliant on the second car. We laugh at parents on the school run caught up in the traffic jams as we whizz by.
Takes us sub 15 mins on the bikes compared to 20/25mins driving and 35 plus minutes walking.

I have an Ortlieb pannier on the way :cool:
I mesnt Ortlieb! Yes and another thing I would STRONGLY recommend is to purchase from a local shop. These bikes are tricky .... and you want LOCAL service. We used Okecycles on the north edge of Dartmoor ...but in Devon Bikeshed in Exeter or Partridges in Kenn can be strongly recommended. BTW may I ask what part of Devon are you from

I mesnt Ortlieb! Yes and another thing I would STRONGLY recommend is to purchase from a local shop. These bikes are tricky .... and you want LOCAL service. We used Okecycles on the north edge of Dartmoor ...but in Devon Bikeshed in Exeter or Partridges in Kenn can be strongly recommended. BTW may I ask what part of Devon are you from

It’s an internet handle I’ve used for years.
I lived briefly in North Devon late 90s when I was 18 for a couple of seasons chasing the endless summer ;)

Reside in Warwickshire now, but still get down ND regular. Especially when there’s a decent swell hitting.

Croyde etc ... excellent .... Sarah not happy living on North Dartmoor .. only that it is as far from the sea as you can get in Devon ... OTOH ... we can get with equal facility to North Devon, North Somerset, South Deon and North and Sout Cornwall ... perfect place to live as long as you are waterproof!

Not wishing to use a bike rack we are restricted to folding bikes that can be stored inside the California when travelling / camping. The two Bromptons have recently been sold and replaced with two e-bikes from Volt Bikes. Mrs altvic is pretty hopeless on a pushbike so a battery model seemed the way forward and I followed suit as didn’t wish to get left behind!

The model I purchased was a Volt Axis comprising an internal geared hub with 8 gears from Shimano (Alfine) and a Shimano ‘Steps’ motor on the crank; and a chain drive.

Weight without the battery is c.16kg and battery weighs about 2.5kg. Heavier than the Brompton and larger when folded, we will travel with the two bikes in the ‘lounge’ area; when camping there will be some considerations to keeping safe vs living space. I was thinking of either chaining to the vehicle wheels or bringing inside to front seats or ???

The only issue I have found with the Volt Axis is part of the gearing system, which is either Manual change or Automatic. The manual works fine but the auto changing is unworkable on any slight incline as it cannot ‘make its mind up’ what gear to be in and unhealthy grinding noises can be heard if it gears down. On the flat automatic gearing is not too bad so I’ll keep the bike in the hope that Shimano will come out with a fix (not holding breath).

The Volt Metro LS is a rear hub drive with Derailleur gears, I await its arrival tomorrow.

I blame the smile on Mrs @soulstyledevon for this costly purchase:)

View attachment 62291View attachment 62293View attachment 62292
Hi, hope you’re still enjoying your bikes! we’re thinking about getting a foldable ebike for similar reasons, I.e. we don’t want a bike rack on the back. I wondered how you store them when you’re travelling- do you keep them in the boot or in the living area? Would we need to strap them down somehow? Any feedback / suggestions welcome thanks

Hi, hope you’re still enjoying your bikes! we’re thinking about getting a foldable ebike for similar reasons, I.e. we don’t want a bike rack on the back. I wondered how you store them when you’re travelling- do you keep them in the boot or in the living area? Would we need to strap them down somehow? Any feedback / suggestions welcome thanks
I've decided to get a Tern Vektron S10 folding bike. Fully folded it easily slips into the space at the back of the Cali under the shelf with a couple cm to spare once the quick release pedals are disengaged. Takes approx 10s to fold.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Well i am awaiting my California ...but Sarah and I have ebikes welove. Mine is a Cube Hybrid Pro. I have the 625 battery but 500 would be ok.
I went for a step through as easier to get on and off and photo whilst on the bike. Also my daughter can ride it too

It is good for roads and tracks. This has a lot of bells and whistles but this one is very similar

Bosch engines are great but if going off road you want imho minimum 500mA battery. Power 65n ... 75 better. Change tyres for puncture resistant ones. Changing th back tyre is challenging!

I would buy FROM A LOCAL GOOD DEALER. These are fussy bikes and if there are small problems you want someone near at hand.

Rack. Thule make tow bars esp for ebikes ...well worth it!,,,,

My new bike arrived as we went into lock down in March ...3 months of empty roads all over Dartmoor in sunshine .... heaven and a life saver. It is the best purchase I have ever made . Have fun Tom x

Well i am awaiting my California ...but Sarah and I have ebikes welove. Mine is a Cube Hybrid Pro. I have the 625 battery but 500 would be ok.
I went for a step through as easier to get on and off and photo whilst on the bike. Also my daughter can ride it too

It is good for roads and tracks. This has a lot of bells and whistles but this one is very similar

Bosch engines are great but if going off road you want imho minimum 500mA battery. Power 65n ... 75 better. Change tyres for puncture resistant ones. Changing th back tyre is challenging!

I would buy FROM A LOCAL GOOD DEALER. These are fussy bikes and if there are small problems you want someone near at hand.

Rack. Thule make tow bars esp for ebikes ...well worth it!,,,,

My new bike arrived as we went into lock down in March ...3 months of empty roads all over Dartmoor in sunshine .... heaven and a life saver. It is the best purchase I have ever made . Have fun Tom x
Sounds great. Can you charge them via the cycle rack electrics?

I'd be surprised if that carries a high enough voltage/wattage to operate the charger.

Mine is a Cube Hybrid Pro 500.
Love it, best bike ever. Have done 3100km since May this year. Autonomy around 100 to 120 km.
So happy when on my bike and with the Cali.

View attachment 70022
Sounds great. I hired one in the Lake District when my super fit school friends turned up with their road bikes. They left me on the downhills, I overtook them on the hills.
How do you charge your Cube when away in the California?

You have to be on hook up or usually in bars when you stop for a drink or tourist offices, you kindly ask and have never been turned down. With the Cali not on hook up, I have not come across a solution yet. Maybe solar panels would allow it.

You have to be on hook up or usually in bars when you stop for a drink or tourist offices, you kindly ask and have never been turned down. With the Cali not on hook up, I have not come across a solution yet. Maybe solar panels would allow it.
My electric Brompton charges up ok through the factory inverter when driving or on idle. The fast charger I use is rated at 4A. I turn on a heated seat to override the vans blue motion charging cut off.

Hello,
Not sure I understand this sentence
"I turn on a heated seat to override the vans blue motion charging cut off" I do not have heated seats... what should I do?

Hello,
"I turn on a heated seat to override the vans blue motion charging cut off" I do not have heated seats... what should I do?
On the T6 if you turn on the headlights it has the same effect. You can see the current on the control panel display, and you can watch it change to >>20A when you turn on some electrical loads.

• Informative
Reactions: Sad
Hello,
Turn on anything electrical that requires a highish electrical current will switch the alternator to high output overriding the Bluemotion system, so heated seats, headlights, heated windscreen/tailgate or heated mirrors and lastly heating onto high fan or demist will all do this.

We invested in another Cube Compact for the wife we were that impressed with the first one I purchased.
Our, “go to bikes”
Used for commuting around town, commute to work, to the pub, shop and most importantly fit on the back of the van easily because of the frame. Much easier to mount and clamp than standard bikes.

A778C9A5-D3E4-4142-919C-30DDE6A3098F.jpeg
67CFA037-3550-432D-9F18-E0A57081AB69.jpeg
BF71E509-7FF2-44DD-A50B-BE48EE9A8DC3.jpeg

62987C2F-B426-43CB-B2E6-1E2EBF6355E3.jpeg

EE9AF9CB-C8D6-4791-B48F-841EA8373A34.jpeg

Bikes are getting plenty of use at home but not via the camper experience. Taken the folders twice this year and they have sat upright, in their padded bags, in the lounge area when travelling. We bring them in at night but always sleep upstairs. Locking the bikes in a camp site during the night to the camper wheels is a considered option.

is anybody using Brompton electric bikes at all.? What’s your opinion of them? i have been Thinking of getting one recently. we have already got 2 xiaomi m365 electric scooters around town and they are brilliant. I know they are illegal but we haven’t been stopped yet and do behave in a responsible manner with them... anyway was more interested in the general opinion of bromton e bikes

is anybody using Brompton electric bikes at all.? What’s your opinion of them? i have been Thinking of getting one recently. we have already got 2 xiaomi m365 electric scooters around town and they are brilliant. I know they are illegal but we haven’t been stopped yet and do behave in a responsible manner with them... anyway was more interested in the general opinion of bromton e bikes
I recently got a Brompton electric. I love it. They gave many advantages over other folding bikes, some of them obvious like the amazing gold, others more subtle but important. For example when folded the chain is in the middle so you don’t get your clothes oily, and you can ride it normally with a flat battery. The power delivery is great, it has 3 levels of assistance and you can turn it off.
There are some great videos on YouTube, and the Brompton has great technical support, and a community of fans, you can also get good value Brompton electric approved insurance from Bikmo.
Riding it takes a little getting used to, as the wheels are small and the steering twitchy at first, after a few rides it feels natural.

I recently got a Brompton electric. I love it. They gave many advantages over other folding bikes, some of them obvious like the amazing gold, others more subtle but important. For example when folded the chain is in the middle so you don’t get your clothes oily, and you can ride it normally with a flat battery. The power delivery is great, it has 3 levels of assistance and you can turn it off.
There are some great videos on YouTube, and the Brompton has great technical support, and a community of fans, you can also get good value Brompton electric approved insurance from Bikmo.
Riding it takes a little getting used to, as the wheels are small and the steering twitchy at first, after a few rides it feels natural.
Fold not gold...

Back