Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Bikes!

Keep in mind that in case of 5-6k bikes you are paying 80% for the bike itself. The drivetrain cost less than 1k
It's a good old struggle of buying a bike. If you need a fork that cost as a whole new bike etc.
So majority of price is decided by the purpose. Hardtails are way cheaper. But they are a pain going over rough mountains terrain at such weight.
These electric bikes are a minimum of 20-22kg

A couple of friends have recently purchased Haibike and rave about them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I am personally not impressed with haibike quality.
Same as vw lots of smart things but sometimes such stupid glitches.
Germans... :D

We have a pair of a Kalkhoff X27s. Very good.

Ady77 do you want a mountain bike for your wife or a hybrid? You can probably pick up a reasonably new Raleigh Motus for £1500 (£1999 new); it's a hybrid trekking e-bike (Bosch) and a pretty good all rounder (but heavy, as they all are).

The link to the ebikeshop above is the site to read, they post a lot of good information and videos etc. and have a huge amount of expertise.

This is my daily driver to work
http://www.dutch-id.nl/product/city-n8-dames-2015/#
I do 36km each day no matter what weather up and down to work .
It is a womans model so in the weekend my wife can take it and i take my regular old bike as we do tourist trips....the new Bosch motor is great and thisone has electronic shifting.
My thirth electric bike already as my first Sparta pick-up had the motor in the front wheel it drives very diffrent from models with motor on the pedals! Realy much better having motor in the pedals.
Got run over by a car with my Sparta pick-up and then bought an other Sparta with incurance money on witch i put almost 10.000km only home-work distance . Thatone i sold now in oktober 2015 to buy me the Dutch id on witch a have arround 3000km already.
Now realy hot are those high speed bikes witch can go up to 45 km/h but needs to have a licence plate , incurance , and wearing a helmet ...in Belgium

We hired some in the south of France and they were great.
We had a couple of spectacular failures as we got a puncture about 8 miles from the port and the bike was so heavy it was virtually unpushable when we realised we didn't have a puncture repair kit.
Also the chain jammed in a gear change and we couldn't free it so the man had to come out with another bike.
When they worked they were incredible and we covered great distances flying up hill and just peddling the rest of the time.
I would worry about security as normal bikes frequently get nicked of bike racks from people on holiday. An electric bike would be a bigger prize?

That's the reason I wasn't considering putting that bike in a rack ;)

Has anyone looked into recharging the electric bike from the inverter? The newer motors seem to be 36v so ideally would be charged of the mains. If you don't have an EHU available can they be charged from the inverter without killing the Leisure batteries? One of the salesmen I met has a camper himself and says that he charges his from an inverter, but reading the back of the charger is said 2A max 3A.

Trying this in the correct thread this time ;)

I would advise anyone contemplating an e-bike to try lifting one on and off the vw bike rack. I believe this sport will be incorporated into the next Olympics.....

I've carried 22kg bike on the back some serious distances in the mountains ;)
Not that much of a weight even for a casual person.

A DC-DC converter might be more efficient?
Thank you for this Loz. Do you have any idea who might sell a 12v to 36v converter? It sounds a much better way of doing it. I've been advised that inverter is a complicated and wasteful way of charging something.

Thank you for this Loz. Do you have any idea who might sell a 12v to 36v converter? It sounds a much better way of doing it. I've been advised that inverter is a complicated and wasteful way of charging something.
Also some inverters are not true sinewave and this can damage some chargers.

They are little as £3 on Fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200W-6-35...harger-Power-Converter-Module-UU/291550548601

but a google of dc 12v to 36v will give you a whole evening's reading, if you find a nice mountable unit you could wire it in and run a cable out to the rack and have them plugged in whilst being transported..

Anyone know anything about the G-Tech E Bike?

I've been looking into E Bikes as I've got crook knees and although the flat is OK hills cause me problems. This one will do 30 miles on a charge and is more electric assist as it has no gears. Where we live we are surrounded by hills and basically this bike has variable assist to keep the effort constant. You can also ride it with a flat battery.

A classic hub motor which are over 10 years on the market and those aren't big help on ascents.
Decent for cruising.
The only good option is a motor in pedals. There are nice conversions that let you modify almost any bike to electric.
They pop up every day one cheaper and better than other.

I have been doing a lot more research into Electric Bikes since my last post and have found a firm called https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/bristolstore . They have stores in Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford, London & York. The previous shops I have visited, at best, let you have half an hour to try the bike, and that, from what I read, is generous.
This distributor encourages you to hire the bike for a longer trial and will refund the hire fee if you purchase it. I borrowed a Gazelle CityZen C8 from them on Sunday and have had two days using it fully. It is an electric assist bike and has 4 levels of assistance. You have to pedal as well to make the motor work and you can choose more help for hills or a headwind, etc. The more help it gives you, the lower the range you can ride. The bike is quoted as having up to a 90 mile range. This is theoretical and is the case with most of them. Air temp, headwinds, size of rider, terrain, etc all play a big part.
It rides like a normal hybrid bike, just heavier. On the Eco mode, the lowest level of assist, it was saying about 80 miles range. One long hill at the highest level of assist and this falls markedly.
I've had two 30-40 mile rides on it and learned a lot about how to get the best out of it. I wouldn't have found this out in a half hour test.
I've been up a couple of hills that I haven't managed since I was a teenager and enjoyed the assistance that the motor gives.
As someone posted earlier, the motor in the pedal crank area is audible, but it can then make use of the gears that the bike has. This bike has 8 hub gears, which means that the range is extended. A front or rear hub motor is quieter, but then has to rotate at the speed you are doing without being able to utilise the gears to reduce the motor's operating speed.
My rides were along the cycle path from Bristol to Bath which is pretty flat and then back to the hills in Bristol, the other was around Bristol, Portishead, Clevedon, Nailsea which was a much more varied terrain involving a fair number of long hills.

It is well worth trying out a bike properly before buying. They are expensive and you want to make sure it will do what you need. I borrowed an electric bike at work with a range of up to 30 miles but that wouldn't take me into work and back without recharging at each end of the journey.

Update. I have now purchased the eBike having tried the other one I had short listed by a different manufacturer and preferring the CityZen C8.
Bosch sell a charger designed to be used from a car to charge the battery on the bike. It takes longer than it would on mains power, but will easily recharge overnight. It steps the voltage up to 36v which the bike motor runs off. I have now tackled another couple of Bristol's hills and got up them without too much trouble. It is important to realise that you have to pedal as well, but the 8 hub gears on the bike are well chosen.
Very impressed by the bike plus the excellent advice and service from the shop I bought it from.

Last edited:
Update. I have now purchased the eBike having tried the other one I had short listed by a different manufacturer and preferring the CityZen C8.
Bosch sell a charger designed to be used from a car to charge the battery on the bike. It takes longer than it would on mains power, but will easily recharge overnight. It steps the voltage up to 36v which the bike motor runs off. I have now tackled another couple of Bristol's hills and got up them without too much trouble. It is important to realise that you have to pedal as well, but the 8 hub gears on the bike are well chosen.
Very impressed by the bike and the excellent advice and service from the shop I bought it from.
Sounds good and should work well as a bit of transport when your on site and need some shopping. I reckon from where you live it was up Jacobs Wells Road and up towards the Downs. Managed to face plant on my City bike today, load on the rear pannier bit over enthusiastic and away went the front wheel on some gravel. Rider error, lucky to escape with cuts and grazes and damaged pride. Lucky boy
Or silly old git has been suggested.

Last edited:
Like others I have been researching E Bikes a lot. Where we live we are surrounded by hill so to go anywhere you have to get up a steep hill first and with my knees that results in a lot of discomfort. On the flat and gentle inclines fine. A year ago I had bought a new Hybrid that I like but we had to travel to get any enjoyment and as I said hills were a no no. I didn't want to get another bike and resale values of bikes are low. So I took the plunge and converted mine. I know a hub motor might be the best but I wanted something simple and so I went for this:- http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk...bike-kit-samsung-power-13ah-by-dillenger.html

Came quickly, good downloadable instructions, easily fitted if you can make simple adjustments on a bike and worked straight off, with Pedal Assist or throttle. Controllable top speed setting and Brake operated cut-out.
On test runs it coped with all the hills out of our town easily including a very steep local hill which is difficult to walk let alone cycle. All in all very pleased and I keep my hybrid bike as well.

Costco are selling this at the moment. The whole affair is relatively light so this might offset the small battery capacity. It’s very neat!

38890CF0-9CF5-412D-BC71-2E69B9F1243C.jpeg 38389339-9AF1-4239-A86B-487BD257786A.jpeg 6F942F19-08D8-46CB-9850-5DBA0F9C2E08.jpeg

Back