Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Bikes!

D

DavidS

Guest User
Well, I'm wondering about electric bikes now I've seen how popular they are in Europe. We had 5 weeks in Spain, and took our normal bikes on the rack. We knew that the area we were going to was flat coastal and also that the terrain nearby was (very) hilly. No problem, as we had taken them along primarily for local use in town. But then we started to realise there were benefits that we had not thought of, and that it definitely wasn't an 'age' thing.

A good number of our new found friendly neighbours (with admittedly bigger vehicles) were going on some quite serious tours with their electric machines and the big benefit seems to be touring range across some quite challenging terrain without being knackered; without the hassle of unhooking one's pride and joy from the Khyam and stuff; without the aggravation of parking in Spanish towns; being able to smell the oranges.... In other words, the ability to enjoy the locality properly, going much further afield easily and cheaply - once you've taken the initial hit. And the real range of these bikes is continually improving.

Downsides are price, a bit more weight, but bung the batteries in the back and the bike rack has more than enough payload anyway, security....?

Anyone doing this already, or thinking about it??

David.

P.S. I posted this in leg power because you still use them!

We've thought about it for ages. Electric cycles would give us a little more range potentially when the going is a little more challenging and/or the roads are dangerous or when we simply want to go somewhere but not for a 'bike ride' as such. I've ridden a few and they're great. I'm a bit shy of some of the new manufacturers as the support may not be there and I reckon we're going to take a long look at some of the Raleigh bikes in the not too distant future. I can't see many downsides personally.

I also inhabit the ctc forum and this recent thread may be of interest. There are several other (older) threads on electric bikes on there if you do a search.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83128

FYI Rose are a large German company who supply bikes and parts all over Europe. I have bought quite a few items from them and the service has always been exemplary. I have no connection with the company.

I'm starting to focus on Kalkhoff, Wisper, Volt. As always, you get what you pay for! Not sure I can afford it yet, but prices may come down, and there must always be a discount for two? But maybe that's priced in already. Ha! :D

I've a 'Giant' Elec bike which I bought from Fulford Cycles in York. I bought it specifically to allow me to get into town for shopping, and see the sights when camping WITHOUT having to move the van, and all that entails.

A couple of thoughts:
1. When I was looking, loads of folks were advertising them but only a few actually held them in stock. Fulford's were one of the few in the North that had a decent throughput.

2. Don't underestimate how heavy they are. Even with the battery removed, mine still weighs a ton! I honestly don't know where the weight is, but boy is it heavy. It's not a problem for normal use (as you are powered) but lifting in onto a high bike rack (like on the T5 Cali) would need a lot of effort and concentration.

3. I've super impressed with the build quality of my 'Giant'. I forget the model name but its the high voltage top of the range one. All the components are really high spec.

4. I needed one because I'd lost a lot of fitness over the years. Getting out and putting the miles in on my elec bike has made me much fitter...to the extent I'm not sure if I need the elec assistance (or at least I may not on a lightweight bike). If you are of a certain age, or planning on visiting lots of hilly places, this may not be a consideration.

(Mine has the 3 levels of assistance.....33% elec 67% human, then 50/50, then 67% elc, 33% human).

5. You can get kits that convert regular bikes into elec. That may be a way to go, as mine feels hugely over-engineered for the assistance it provides.

I have had a GoCycle G1 for nearly 4 years, mainly used for my 8 mile commute.

The massive benefit of this style of bike is that it folds small enough to be carried safely inside the Cali.

This topic is of great interest to me as I have some experience with electric bikes. My wife is a very keen touring cyclist, but as I have slightly worn out knees, I was never able to ride the hills or the distance that she could. So, having borrowed a Trek Valencia electric bike from my local bike shop and been very impressed, I decided to research the market, and buy one. I ended up buying a Giant Escape 1 Hybrid electric bike. I bought this 3 years ago. It was a superb bike but had just one big drawback ( apart from the weight!) - the battery at 8 amp/hr was not powerful enough. I had to buy a spare battery (not cheap) and this added even more to the weight. As we live in a very hilly area ( Pennines), I could only get about 15 miles per battery charge. I do have to say that the Giant dealer mentioned above, Fulforrd Cycles in York were brilliant, and tried every was possible to improve the range on my bike, replacing lots of parts free of charge, but to no avail. After a 3 day charity bike ride in Scotland (50-60 miles a day) which involved lots of cafe stops to recharge, I decided to sell it and buy a bike with a much more powerful battery. So after much research I bought what I consider to be the best on the market - a Kalkhoff Pro Connect X27. It was more expensive than the Giant - approx £2000 - but often 10% discounts are on offer. There are 2 dealers in the UK, 50Cycles in Loughborough and in London. Both are excellent. The bike has a 16 amp/hr battery and the range is absolutely amazing. I can confidently ride 40-50 miles with hills, and on a more level ride, the range can be up to 100 miles. The bike computer gives you a very wide range of assistance, and the operation is simple. As you approach a steep hill, touch the control to move up an assistance level or two, and as my very fit wife pedals hard up the steep hill, I am already waiting for her at the top! We take the bikes everywhere on the back of the California - we are currently cycling in the Algarve ( some of the most picturesque cycling you could wish for). I have never had a problem with the bike; the build quality (German) is superb, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who either wants to cycle without too much effort, or older cyclists with knee problems who want to extend their cycling enjoyment.
I would be happy to give any further advice to anyone interested in this model of electric bike (I have NO connection with the company!). Main advice is: do not buy one with a low power battery if you want to ride more than 10 or 15 miles. Also, you get what you pay for!

That's all very useful - many thanks for your detailed comments. What you say about range is most important of course. Do you find any problem with the lack of an independent throttle to get going when you stop on a hill in a highish gear?

I have never found this to be a problem. If you are a reasonably experienced cyclist, you will ensure that you are in the correct low gear at the bottom of the hill, and engage a higher level of assistance. If for any reason you need to stop on a hill, it is easier to start off again by initially riding across the hill or diagonally to reduce the gradient until you get going. A good electric bike will not present any problem in a situation like this.
I did forget to mention above that when transporting the Kalkhoff on the California's rear cycle carrier, I first remove the battery to reduce the weight. It is easier if you have someone to help you lift it onto the rack. With battery in place, my bike weighs about 24kg and without battery, about 22kg. The rack is easily able to carry my Kalkhoff and my wife's 18kg touring bike.

Considering purchasing a couple of electric bikes but I'm worried about charging the batteries when on electric hookup. What is the minimum amp hookup you need to charge overnight?
Bob

Does anyone have experience with KTM electric bikes made in Austria? :help :help

None of the bicycles badged as KTM are actually manufactured by KTM (at least not directly in Mattinghofen) if you have specific questions I can ask someone that can get them answered.

We are now also +1's for the Kalkhoff bikes - simply amazing things! We have a pair of X27 Pro Connects and they have taken us places we wouldn't have been otherwise!

Not sure about minimum supply but we haven't had a problem to date.. I will try and have a look at the charger specs over the weekend though.

Re charging whilst on electric hookup, I have never had a problem and I've been doing this regularly on different sites for the last couple of years. My current bike (see previous post) is a Kalkhoff with a 15.5Ah 36V lithium ion battery. It takes about 5 hours to fully charge from empty. I'm pleased to see that Californiaman also has Kalkhoff Pro Connect Xion 27's. I agree, they are amazing. Over this last weekend, we did a big charity bike ride over 3 days in North Yorkshire. There were a lot of very steep hills. Each day, my bike achieved over 50 miles on a single battery charge. My old Giant would do no more than about 15. Historybob, if you have not yet tried a Kalkhoff, I strongly recommend that you do before you buy any other brand.

Too late Tim. Yesterday we purchased ordered a couple of Freego Martin Sports. Not that we are sporty types. We tried several in our price range and these seem OK. Time will tell. Now I have to source a means of carrying them on the Cali.

Just invested in a Haibike Full Suspension Electric MTB.

I have to say its as much fun going up hill as it is going down.....

Is it cheating - Yes probably but i've just doubled my range and can happily be out for twice the amount and cover twice the ground.

We are also going down the electric bike route, we like the Kalkhoff Pro Connect which uses the new Impulse II drive which gives upto 50mile range. Just need to test drive one now before purchasing. Anyone have any experience of this model as my nearest dealer is 80 miles away

I think it looks really good

kh13_pro_connect_i8_hs_he.png

I'm sure you will love it when you try one Trotters. Mine is the Pro Connect Xion with the rear hub motor, whereas the Impulse has a crank motor. They are all excellent. The UK dealers are "50 Cycles" in Kingston upon Thames, Loughborough and Shoreham by Sea. I deal with the Loughborough depot and they are brilliant, with first class after sales service.

Thank you Tim what would you say is best? hub motor or crank motor ? We have been reading reviews and getting confused by it all :crazy

As you would expect from my choice, I prefer the rear hub motor. It is much more akin to riding a conventional bike. On the very low levels of assistance, you really would not know it was an electric bike till you came to an incline, then you would notice it's much easier than you'd expect! The crank motors, which seem to be favored by German and Dutch electric bike users, do feel different. My brother in law has one (Kalkhoff Agattu) and you do get a constant whining noise from the motor. Theoretically, it's more efficient, and it's certainly easier to repair/change a rear tyre, but in my view, it doesn't feel quite like a normal bike. Try them both and see which you prefer. My best advice is, if you want to ride a decent distance, ensure you get one with at least a 15 ampere hour battery. Cheers, Tim.

We are currently looking for an E-Bike for the wife as she is not very good on hills! Looking to spend around £1,500 any advice on what to go for? ( not to go for?)

Many thanks

E-bikes are pretty different. The proper ones were developed not so long ago with a motor in pedals.
So all the shifts are after the motor giving you huge power on climbs and speeds over 50kmh.
One of the best drivetrains today are developed by Bosch and Yamaha.
I have haibike AMT pro for 3rd season now. And should say electric bike provokes for way higher physical activity than a normal one. I won't go for an electric road bike though. The best use in climbing mountains and tough terrains.
Made it 8km vertical climbs in 5 days last time in Alps.
HAIBIKE_XDURO_AMT_PRO.jpg

E-bikes are pretty different. The proper ones were developed not so long ago with a motor in pedals.
So all the shifts are after the motor giving you huge power on climbs and speeds over 50kmh.
One of the best drivetrains today are developed by Bosch and Yamaha.
I have haibike AMT pro for 3rd season now. And should say electric bike provokes for way higher physical activity than a normal one. I won't go for an electric road bike though. The best use in climbing mountains and tough terrains.
Made it 8km vertical climbs in 5 days last time in Alps.
HAIBIKE_XDURO_AMT_PRO.jpg

I am also in the market for an electric bike but I could not justify nearly £6,000 for the AMT Pro, we are also looking to spend around £2k so will be interested in seeing what options people come up with?

Back