Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

Does anyone know what's the most cost effective way of heating a hot water tank.
Electricity at 15p kw or oil fired boiler?
I use my oil boiler but have previously used the immersion heater at night (economy 7) and a boost from the oil boiler in the afternoon.
But since both oil and electric prices have skyward just stuck to oil.
15p sounds cheap, I’m paying 24p night rate!

Does anyone know what's the most cost effective way of heating a hot water tank.
Electricity at 15p kw or oil fired boiler?
someone will be around to answer that, but when considering, do include standing charge to your elec cost - something that most people ignore.

For example, 15p per KwH rate + 45p standing charge. I average about 5 KwH per day, so divide the 45 standing charge by 5 = 9 p, so the per KwH rate you use for calculations should be 15 + 9 = 24p.

From what I have seen this part of the cost is usually ignored by all in any calculations.

I use my oil boiler but have previously used the immersion heater at night (economy 7) and a boost from the oil boiler in the afternoon.
But since both oil and electric prices have skyward just stuck to oil.
15p sounds cheap, I’m paying 24p night rate!
Octopus go EV tariff 12.30-4.30 am.
Was wondering if it was cost effective to use immersion rather than oil fired boiler just for heating hot water.

but when considering, do include standing charge to your elec cost - something that most people ignore.
But unless you can un hook from the grid completely, you'll be paying the standing charge anyway. If that's the case, then the oil vs electricity calculation should just be on the variable cost alone.

Octopus go EV tariff 12.30-4.30 am.
Was wondering if it was cost effective to use immersion rather than oil fired boiler just for heating hot water.
You need to know the burn rate of the boiler (litres per hour?) and efficiency etc to be able to compare how much oil it takes vs using the immersion which is a constant rate

You need to know the burn rate of the boiler (litres per hour?) and efficiency etc to be able to compare how much oil it takes vs using the immersion which is a constant rate
To do a proper check you would also need to ensure the immersion thermostat and the thermostat sensor on the tank controlling boiler were both set at the same temperature.

Following a Tesla today, the brake lights constantly on/off. Driver was quite close to the car in front but not that bad.

Do the lights come on with regen?

I think the lights are applied when the regen sharpens. On Tesla regen, it actually uses the cameras so applies that last bit of pressure when coming to junctions or close to cars, so it could be that which you observed, sounds a like a naughty driver.

Lovely. Quite liked the funky Citroen she was driving too.

Seriously though, brilliant. Love it. Good effort on the 1 ton weight target.

Very, very clever.

It’s really clever.

I think the typical sports car, soft top or fun car market is dead. It’s all about people and stuff moving now.

Porsche are working on an electric Boxster. I don’t see the point, surely a spectacular flop for them.
They need to stick with EV Taycan and Macans. That’s where the money will be.

It’s really clever.

I think the typical sports car, soft top or fun car market is dead. It’s all about people and stuff moving now.

Porsche are working on an electric Boxster. I don’t see the point, surely a spectacular flop for them.
They need to stick with EV Taycan and Macans. That’s where the money will be.
People bought the 4cyl Porsche so clearly they can sell anything with a Porsche badge on it.

People bought the 4cyl Porsche so clearly they can sell anything with a Porsche badge on it.

By all accounts the 4cyl 718 has been a complete flop (exception of China). Residual values on them vs the flat 6s are terrible.
3 years after the launch of the 718, Porsche changed their stance and stuck the 6cylinder engine back into the GTS GT4 and Spyder models…

So is the Citroen a thing or just concept?

Watching the video and intent to allow easy repair panels etc. Seems Citreon have gone back to basics and historic deux chevaux mentality. Seems great car for about town.

Looks like the exterior was designed by Lego, other than that some good ideas.

No more putting cardboard in the bin at home, it will now command a premium for recycling.

The flat screen reduces heat, but surely must also work against the aerodynamics (front end also very flat). So what you gain on not running the aircon as much, surely must lose on the aerodynamics & kill alot more birds, who would normally just make it and skim over the top of the roof!
Designwise, why does the back end need a slope, might as well square it off and make it more jeep looking + increase boot space...and then it would also have flat vertical gass so would heat up less in the sun (following same design principle given for the flat front screen).

Would guess that the 68mph top speed will be overcome in time by software, at the cost of range.

But I still like it for some reason!

Last edited:
By all accounts the 4cyl 718 has been a complete flop (exception of China). Residual values on them vs the flat 6s are terrible.
3 years after the launch of the 718, Porsche changed their stance and stuck the 6cylinder engine back into the GTS GT4 and Spyder models…
I have a Macan GTS V6 Mk 1 2018. Last of the Porsche engined Macans, they then went Audi. Absolutely love it.

I have a Macan GTS V6 Mk 1 2018. Last of the Porsche engined Macans, they then went Audi. Absolutely love it.

Macan is Porsche’s best seller, followed closely by the Cayenne.
911’s don’t even sell half their numbers.
Even the Taycan sells in bigger numbers than the holy grail.
I’m sure I read yesterday, Porsche just built the 100,000 Taycan.

No longer a sports car manufacturer…

Looks like the exterior was designed by Lego, other than that some good ideas.

No more putting cardboard in the bin at home, it will now command a premium for recycling.

The flat screen reduces heat, but surely must also work against the aerodynamics (front end also very flat). So what you gain on not running the aircon as much, surely must lose on the aerodynamics & kill alot more birds, who would normally just make it and skim over the top of the roof!
Designwise, why does the back end need a slope, might as well square it off and make it more jeep looking + increase boot space...and then it would also have flat vertical gass so would heat up less in the sun (following same design principle given for the flat front screen).

Would guess that the 68mph top speed will be overcome in time by software, at the cost of range.

But I still like it for some reason!
The back end slope will deffo help aero. By design or dictated by aero is another matter.

Macan is Porsche’s best seller, followed closely by the Cayenne.
911’s don’t even sell half their numbers.
Even the Taycan sells in bigger numbers than the holy grail.
I’m sure I read yesterday, Porsche just built the 100,000 Taycan.

No longer a sports car manufacturer…
I’d call the GT 3 RS and GT2 sports cars?

Back