Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which tyre type is the California SE supplied with?

It comes with low road rolling resistance summer tyres as standard, Plinky.
Maud

Take a look here and check which wheels are coming with your order.
Cattle Dog says it comes with Low Rolling Resistance to assist with fuel economy and compliment the Blue Motion.

tyres.JPG

Mine came with all season.

It's being fittend next week with winter compounds but only because I am looking ar a scottish winer and scandinavian early spring.

Dunlop Sport 1s all round for us - the rears are now Dunlop Sportmaxx.

Slightly weird on a van but they're quiet and wear quite well.

That's interesting that your Cali came with all season tyres as standard, Jen. I wonder whether the 4 motion model comes with different tyres. Does Albert have Bluemotion too? As Campandfly said, the low rolling resistance tyres are part of the Bluemotion package but I'm dubious about how useful (and safe!) they will be on wet/icy/muddy lanes in winter :?

Maud

That is exactly my feeling too Maud. I'm checking to see if the winter tyre option is actually for 4 season tyres, which would be a far better option for me. You might want to check that with your dealer too. If you get any information, post it here, and I will do the same. I'm ordering the 140 Cali with 16 inch wheel...maybe the tyres vary depending on wheel size ordered. I am also going to order some snow socks from Oli in Bognor just in case I ever hit snow! I had a very interesting chat with him, a very nice guy and very knowledgeable about California's.

Maud said:
That's interesting that your Cali came with all season tyres as standard, Jen. I wonder whether the 4 motion model comes with different tyres. Does Albert have Bluemotion too? As Campandfly said, the low rolling resistance tyres are part of the Bluemotion package but I'm dubious about how useful (and safe!) they will be on wet/icy/muddy lanes in winter :?

Maud

I think 4 motion has all the blue motion technology bits.

All season does not fill me with confidence for snow and ice. At the end of the day I want to be able to get Albert home, and home unscathed, so happy to invest in the braces to go with the belt and have specific compounds on for snow and ice. The extra investment is in any case only the rims as Albert, in the lifetime I intend keeping him for, will get through at least two sets of tyres just on normal wear.

Mine is an ex-demo so the tyres fitted could be peculiar to it's rioe as a demo.

Anyway, no one should worry too much about winter tyres. Now I have them on it should guarantee that the winters of 2015 and 2016 are the warmest and most snow free on record :?

Our Cali was delivered this year with Dunlop sportmaxx tt tyres 235/55/17's. I will be waiting till it gets colder before I fit my snow tyres which are conti wintervanco2.

I think 4motions usually come with the same tyres as normal ones; ours did and so did our friends 4motion.

I think it all depends what VW can can at the best price when they order more for the factory.

Don't forget to switch on the Speed Warning/Limiter on the Dashboard Menu.
Winter tyres have a maximum speed limit of ? 50 mph, according to Handbook.

It is not uncommon for winter tyres to have a lower speed rating than summer ones, but they will still be rated far higher than uk speed limits.

I think a 50 mph/kph limit may be referring to chains or studded tyres.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

WelshGas said:
Don't forget to switch on the Speed Warning/Limiter on the Dashboard Menu.
Winter tyres have a maximum speed limit of ? 50 mph, according to Handbook.

Winter tyres have the same speed ratings as normal tyres, my Conti WinterVanco2's are T rated to 118 mph, not that they or my summer tyres would ever see anything near that! Not sure where the handbook guidance comes from?

Fitted my snow wheels/tyres today, temperatures now dropping, icy roads at Glenshee yesterday where we went for a hike, snow forecast this weekend at Glencoe where we will be hiking in snow hopefully.

As above I think that may refer to 50kph for chains. Socks are limited to 25 mph.. around 40kph.

GrannyJen said:
As above I think that may refer to 50kph for chains. Socks are limited to 25 mph.. around 40kph.

I think even Usain Bolts socks would struggle to hit 25mph.

Driving with confidence on wintry A82 this morning, winter tyres fitted just in time.

Passed one car which had left the road as we left the Glencoe Ski Centre where we spent last night in the van.

PC070176a.jpg

I will be on that road in another four weeks - bound for ardnamurchan and skye.

Lovely, fabulous part of the world.

GrannyJen said:
I will be on that road in another four weeks - bound for ardnamurchan and skye.

Lovely, fabulous part of the world.

The Glencoe ski resort has campervan hook ups for £15 per night, food and drink, also lots of space for a free stop if no hook up is required. When you are in Skye try the Glenbrittle camp site, lovely spot on a bay under the Cuillens, if it is too early early for the campsite free camping can be had in the car park, as we did two weeks ago.

The Glencoe ski resort has campervan hook ups for £15 per night, food and drink, also lots of space for a free stop if no hook up is required. When you are in Skye try the Glenbrittle camp site, lovely spot on a bay under the Cuillens, if it is too early early for the campsite free camping can be had in the car park, as we did two weeks ago.

Hello
We also stayed at Glencoe Ski Centre last June for free parking opposite the pods. Good stopover on the way home after 3 weeks in the inner & outer Hebrides. Certainly do it again.

Thread seems to have changed course from the original question, my late 2013 came with 'all season' tyres.

VW will buy tyres in bulk and that will depend on what's the best deal they can get as to what tyres they have. The only criteria will be that they are fit for purpose. This will mean that the tyre you get becomes a lottery.

VW will buy tyres in bulk and that will depend on what's the best deal they can get as to what tyres they have. The only criteria will be that they are fit for purpose. This will mean that the tyre you get becomes a lottery.

Yes just like I said in my earlier post .... #11

Back