Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen blinds

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
we have a 2016 California Ocean andare confused about the windscreen blinds,the manual says fold the mirror up or forward to reveal magnets,we can tip the mirror down but still can’t fit the blinds into the holes above the mirror

image.jpg

There are no magnets. Only magnets are for the cloth blinds that fit the on the front nearside and offside windows. Windscreen blinds fit in holes as per your picture at the top and holes in dashboard.

Mike

Has the handbook not changed since the new blinds T6 style ?
@Brianandjoy , you need to go a meet asap. so someone can explain how your Cali works .
Guess your dealer who sold the Cali to you was only intrested in your money instead of giving service .

Last edited:
You have to flip the mirror out the way, and move the bracket so it fits in the hole (there is also a hole on the dash, as T6-CFO said)....so it will look like so

IMG_2617.JPG

Done,thank you so much ,sitting here on a wet windy Womack water in Norfolk,getting Wi-fi from a house over the water.Yes I’m afraid we were shown nothing of the vehicle as we travelled 150 miles on a Saturday afternoon when they were short of staff.But they did deliver it free of charge.The forum is invaluable

image.jpg

To finish it off you just put the sun visors down.

Mike

Done,thank you so much ,sitting here on a wet windy Womack water in Norfolk,getting Wi-fi from a house over the water.Yes I’m afraid we were shown nothing of the vehicle as we travelled 150 miles on a Saturday afternoon when they were short of staff.But they did deliver it free of charge.The forum is invaluable

View attachment 32618

As you'll notice, be careful when releasing as they can fly back into the roller when releasing.

We had me, a salesman and two VW engineers trying work out how to fit the removable tow-bar on Saturday when I picked my new one up. Took a bit of youTube searching to finally work it out. So much on these vehicles, it's a never ending voyage of discovery!! :)

I just went out to my Cali. Why? Well, I have never moved the rear view mirror out of the way when pulling the front screen blind shut. So I just checked to see if I am doing anything wrong. Nope, all is good. Three photos to show. I wonder what is different???
IMG_0837.JPG IMG_0838.JPG IMG_0839.JPG

I just went out to my Cali. Why? Well, I have never moved the rear view mirror out of the way when pulling the front screen blind shut. So I just checked to see if I am doing anything wrong. Nope, all is good. Three photos to show. I wonder what is different???
View attachment 32628 View attachment 32629 View attachment 32630

Looks like your rear view mirror is a lot lower down the screen than mine is. And I don't see the black plastic bit from the roof line down to the mirror?

I am shocked people actually use these blinds, it is such a terrible design and let's way too much light in. I used mine once then went out and bought something else.

Looks like your rear view mirror is a lot lower down the screen than mine is. And I don't see the black plastic bit from the roof line down to the mirror?
Do you have rain sensing wipers or headlights? I do not have either. Could that be the difference?

It doesn't look like Jabberwocky has auto lights / wipers / auto dipping mirror, whereas Moakessy does. So different mirror mount as thats where the light / rain sensor is fitted.

I am shocked people actually use these blinds, it is such a terrible design and let's way too much light in. I used mine once then went out and bought something else.
Lets less light in than the roof - I use the screens every time I'm out and about. Works for me. The manual says you should put the sun blinds down first but if you don't do that and put them down after pulling the blinds across it is a better solution.

It doesn't look like Jabberwocky has auto lights / wipers / auto dipping mirror, whereas Moakessy does. So different mirror mount as thats where the light / rain sensor is fitted.

That'll be it then......

Lets less light in than the roof - I use the screens every time I'm out and about. Works for me. The manual says you should put the sun blinds down first but if you don't do that and put them down after pulling the blinds across it is a better solution.
Take the head rests off the turned front seats and leave them in the footwells, the blinds are then much easier to position, drop the sun visors and the gaps almost disappear.

Take the head rests off the turned front seats and leave them in the footwells, the blinds are then much easier to position, drop the sun visors and the gaps almost disappear.
I leave the head restraints in place. Footwells are dirty/wet places and not for my beige head restraints.:D

Thanks for all the replies,Im not bothered if light gets in as I always sleep with the curtains open

This is really interesting as one of the things that appealed to me about buying a new Cali (mine is 10 years old) was the window blinds. I have cloth on collapsible poles. Bit of a Pfaff when it is raining but it does work! Wonder how long I can keep my ten year old running without too much cost ... Maybe it will see me out after all.

I have the silver 'quilted' ones that stick on windscreen and side windows with suckers - no faff, shut all the light out AND act as insulation - I think they are wonderful. Sometimes the old ideas are the best ones!

This is really interesting as one of the things that appealed to me about buying a new Cali (mine is 10 years old) was the window blinds. I have cloth on collapsible poles. Bit of a Pfaff when it is raining but it does work! Wonder how long I can keep my ten year old running without too much cost ... Maybe it will see me out after all.
Mine is 6 years old and I also have cloth blinds on thin poles. Once I've set them up they stay made up stored in the roof bed space for travel. Fitting the front blind is ok because it is so flexible, best done with the seats facing forward otherwise can be a bit of a challenge. Side doors are simple. I know that many people on the forum hate them but I Like the system, it is easily stored, light and not too hard to fix

So the Ocean has the blinds on windscreen as the continentals have had for years. I thought this would be an improvement but it sounds like it’s more of a faff than my current blind - isolite screen with Velcro. Never liked the ones supplied...let too much light in. Love the isolites
Out of interest what is the ( vw supplied ) blackout method for the windows either side of the front seats in the T6.

I ask as I’m upgrading my T5 Cali to Ocean soon

I don't always want to pull the front blinds across when arriving on site but find it a real pain to get them in place with the front passenger seat turned round. The sun visor is also impossible to pull down as the headrest is in the way. I end up turning the front seat round again which is a pain. Am I doing something wrong?

So the Ocean has the blinds on windscreen as the continentals have had for years. I thought this would be an improvement but it sounds like it’s more of a faff than my current blind - isolite screen with Velcro. Never liked the ones supplied...let too much light in. Love the isolites
Out of interest what is the ( vw supplied ) blackout method for the windows either side of the front seats in the T6.

I ask as I’m upgrading my T5 Cali to Ocean soon
Soft material with magnets that attach to door window frame. OK but not very good for night ventilation.
I prefer an external wrap around blind as it keeps heat or cold out and the windows can be left slightly open for ventilation. Also have door wind deflectors that keep the external blind away from window allowing air circulation.

Back