Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter the California’s Achilles Heel

We are on our third Eriba in two years. Previously If my Sister and I went away together she would stop in a hotel with me often in a nearby car park.

We exchanged the first Eriba after 20 nights away when Sis found the interior too gloomy. We swapped for a lighter interior. Net cost difference was about £500, not to bad when we had saved about £2k on hotel and dinner bills. We exchanged the second one for a different layout Eriba in May, opting this time for a brand new one. Net cost this time was about 3k, after she had spent 54 nights in Van 2 and now 25 nights in van 3, saving lots and lots of hotel bills.
Cant fault the residuals GrannyJen and the sums do add up, the build quality looks good as well. I think the older ones as a lot of stuff me included were built better but as said I do like them and fair play to you for having one.
I just feel they have been left behind by the completion a bit. Going to the NEC and will deffo look at them again among other stuff.

A Grand California ....?:)

As mentiont above allready , do you need / use your Cali as a daily drive ? Thats where it all starts .
Is bigger always better ?
We talk about it when at campsite looking at other campers , been to the Dusseldorf show and there's soooo much diffrerence in campers .
If i had no budget and would be ordering now i don't know what i be buying , there's so many diffrent set-ups on the market .
If i ever change from our Cali to something else the main reason will be to lose the pop-top and to have a small bathroom
That’s exactly what I’m doing it for?

Cant fault the residuals GrannyJen and the sums do add up, the build quality looks good as well. I think the older ones as a lot of stuff me included were built better but as said I do like them and fair play to you for having one.
I just feel they have been left behind by the completion a bit. Going to the NEC and will deffo look at them again among other stuff.

Like most German vans, low on frills and high on build quality.

We swapped a three berth for a 2 berth which gives a much longer bench seat which my sister loves as she can lie down in the afternoon without reorganising everything, something that I cannot do in my camper!

The other thing of course is the dimensions: Try and find 2m width caravans. There are not that many and of course even a 0.2 metre difference in width adds a lot more "comfort room". It all boils back to my argument for having a Cali, the size. Any wider or longer it would not sit well on my drive. Also quite a reassuring experience having a caravan that is virtually the same width as the Cali. Did wonders for my heart rate when the Sat Nav sent me down a road barely the width of the vehicle. At least if the Cali can get through so can the trailer :D

We very nearly went for a Barefoot before ordering our Cali. We went to have a look at one at the designer’s house in Alderly Edge: it was being delivered to its owner. It’s a fabulous thing. The build quality seemed outstanding to us and the design very well thought out. It seemed to us like a caravan for a camper van person. Cost is obviously an issue as Sandyvan says, but they really are something in the flesh.

We very nearly went for a Barefoot before ordering our Cali. We went to have a look at one at the designer’s house in Alderly Edge: it was being delivered to its owner. It’s a fabulous thing. The build quality seemed outstanding to us and the design very well thought out. It seemed to us like a caravan for a camper van person. Cost is obviously an issue as Sandyvan says, but they really are something in the flesh.

I very nearly went for a barefoot but it is even smaller than an eriba and no room for a dog. It still took a lot of persuading not to have one.

I very nearly went for a barefoot but it is even smaller than an eriba and no room for a dog. It still took a lot of persuading not to have one.
I know what you mean. We we’re desperately trying to persuade ourselves it would work for two of us and a nine year old!!!

Here is a nice little video. I can see why the winner faired so well compared to the competition...

We’ve had the same conversation recently. We’re fortunate enough that the Cali is our second vehicle although we did discuss the feasibility of going down to one since it’s so practical. With two young kids (6 & 4) we keep looking at hymer cars for the little bit of extra space & a toilet! Residuals are actually quite good on them, granted they can’t compete with the cali’s! Proven engine & robust interiors. Seems to have everything we’d desire coming from a cali

+1 for hotels in winter as they are a fraction of the price you would pay in summer. We used to have a motorhome before the Cali and having something larger did not improve going away in winter at all really apart from not having to walk to the toilet block. It still ended up on the drive for 90% of the winter and this is why we sold it to buy the Cali which is now a daily driver.

Just scrolling back and reading CaliBens comment, it does make you stop and think.

Perhaps camping/sleeping in vans in the colder/wetter months is a miserable affair, no matter what size of vehicle you have...?

Here is a nice little video. I can see why the winner faired so well compared to the competition...

Very interesting.

I've been in a couple of basecamps on site, unlike the "panel" the big downside I heard was lack of space without the integrated rear awning being deployed.. It will also be the most expensive as Swifts simply do not hold their value.

I loved the Wingamm. I also loved the blow-up but when are you going to use it? Would you sleep in an awning in the middle of winter? If you opt for that then you are also in the trailer tent market when there are some very classy options for less money.

I could hear a lot of "California" arguments going round in my head ..... "never mind the purchase cost, what is it going to sell for in a couple of years time"....

If I could go up in size by .25 metre on the width I would definitely be out there shopping.

If one adopts "never mind the price - or complexity". this is one I have looked long and hard at.

That’s very different...
I’m loving seeing all these ideas coming to market, can’t wait for the Motorhome show next week to see what companies and people have come up with.

That’s very different...
I’m loving seeing all these ideas coming to market, can’t wait for the Motorhome show next week to see what companies and people have come up with.

I looked long and hard at it and still am. It solves the "space on my drive" problem and gives me 30% more room. That video said it all, the Eriba was the narrowest of the lot, even marginally narrower than the trailer tent, and my Eriba gets into it's parking space with 8mm to spare, 4mm either side. I simply can't have anything bigger without modifying my fence line.

The problem with the Beauer though is the mechanical bits. It's back to the "cali serviced anywhere" argument. The only uk outlet that can service the electro-mechanical bits is a small one man band outfit in Harrogate or take it to the just over "one man band" in France. A problem when something goes wrong whereas my Eriba mechanicals can be serviced anywhere.

I looked long and hard at it and still am. It solves the "space on my drive" problem and gives me 30% more room. That video said it all, the Eriba was the narrowest of the lot, even marginally narrower than the trailer tent, and my Eriba gets into it's parking space with 8mm to spare, 4mm either side. I simply can't have anything bigger without modifying my fence line.

The problem with the Beauer though is the mechanical bits. It's back to the "cali serviced anywhere" argument. The only uk outlet that can service the electro-mechanical bits is a small one man band outfit in Harrogate or take it to the just over "one man band" in France. A problem when something goes wrong whereas my Eriba mechanicals can be serviced anywhere.
Same issue with the VW Doubleback conversion, great idea but too unique! What happens if the manufacturers go out of business and it needs repairing.

As the temperatures drop and the weather becomes less friendly, the nights are closing in, getting away in the California is less appealing...

Not so bad when I’m camping by myself, the Cali has enough room to be comfortable.
However, as a family I do yearn for a bit more space. In the evenings sitting out is no longer practical, the old days of hitting the pubs, are a no go. Little JJ needs to be in bed, so mum and dad are confined to the van and it’s at this stage conversation goes back to a bigger vehicle with more inside living space...

These challenges don’t exist in summer, we are outside, enjoying ourselves.
We like to get away throughout the year, the advantages of the Cali are many, but we all know the disadvantages too.

So I’m seriously considering a bigger unit, or perhaps something we can tow during the winter months...?

What’s your experiences, bigger vans, towing etc etc...?
View attachment 51375
I had a look at the HYmer yres Rock. A fixed bed , plus a large opop top bed, toilet and fixed seating and only half a metre longer than a California. Only available in two-wheel drive and pricey at £55,000. I like it lots, but an auto version id £60,000+

$_86.jpg

$_86 (1).jpg

As the temperatures drop and the weather becomes less friendly, the nights are closing in, getting away in the California is less appealing...

Not so bad when I’m camping by myself, the Cali has enough room to be comfortable.
However, as a family I do yearn for a bit more space. In the evenings sitting out is no longer practical, the old days of hitting the pubs, are a no go. Little JJ needs to be in bed, so mum and dad are confined to the van and it’s at this stage conversation goes back to a bigger vehicle with more inside living space...

We like to get away throughout the year, the advantages of the Cali are many, but we all know the disadvantages too.

So I’m seriously considering a bigger unit, or perhaps something we can tow during the winter months...?

View attachment 51375
If you love your cali but need a bigger van, there’s really only one or two options in my opinion.
The club joker high top like I have, so much space and it’s got loads of clever storage and feels like you’re driving a cali (apart from when it’s windy or any car park height barriers), plus it’s only 5.3m long.
Or a t5/t6 wingamm I think they are very well designed and gave stacks of space, you can’t beat a roof bed if you want a small van and loads of space.
Both pretty hard to find 2nd hand though.

View attachment 51375
You could buy a roll of YBS Multifoil roof insulation at £75 plus VAT, cut out an exterior blanket and still be left with half a roll of foil for your loft. It definitely keeps you warm at night even if the temperature drops to zero.

Thats one of the trailers we were thinking of.

That is one of the trailers we were thinking of. The Eriba touring looks a great little van and something we would perhaps take on extended trips over to Europe.

The Cali is our daily driver too and it works for us most of the time.
I also think fuel wise it’s pretty good and I need an economical vehicle as I drive to the coast often, sometimes just for the day or night. A bigger van is going to cost more to run and potentially be a headache as an everyday vehicle.

I think the ERIBA might be a good call if I can form a syndicate of 3 couples to purchase and share ownership.
We had a new t6 kombi and was thinking of buying an ERIBA, but decided to go down the Cali route due to the fear of towing. I think pound for pound a small caravan is a better all round option but also we would have to pay for storage.

We have a touring caravan..... the Cali is a fantastic tow car.... so the best of both words.
View attachment 51375

View attachment 51375

I can see your dilemma but I thought I’d offer a counterpoint. It’s all personal choice and depends on circumstances. Our Cali is my daily drive and I would not be able to live with anything longer or higher.

I think the van is cosy in winter. Our kids are teenagers now, but when camping in cooler weather, when the days are shorter, I’m comfortable enough sitting downstairs reading or playing cards. Having the roof bed down is a bit limiting, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me (though I’m 6’4”). What we did do though was tend to go to bed earlier and get up earlier in such situations.

With campervans, everything is a compromise - cost/space/time. I hope you find your happy medium.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

You could buy a roll of YBS Multifoil roof insulation at £75 plus VAT, cut out an exterior blanket and still be left with half a roll of foil for your loft. It definitely keeps you warm at night even if the temperature drops to zero.

No issues with temperature.
It’s more having less freedom (toddler) in the evenings. Where we used to go the local pub or restaurant, we need to be back to put our 3 year old to bed. I’m quite strict with his bedtime routine.
Summer is fine, we sit outside or under the awning. Come winter, it’s cold and dark and not much fun sitting outside.
Its this time of year you realise that more liveable space would be nice, but again a bigger unit may not fit our requirements...

We had a new t6 kombi and was thinking of buying an ERIBA, but decided to go down the Cali route due to the fear of towing. I think pound for pound a small caravan is a better all round option but also we would have to pay for storage.

I get that.
I had to collect some fence panels yesterday with my trailer and was getting a bit bored driving at 60...