Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres!!!!

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
So my alloys need new tyres and a quick search on the forum only seems to bring up is chat about winter tyres.
What are peoples thoughts about which tyres to fit? What sort of mileage are people getting from what they have fitted?
It will be used through winter, as second car, but I don't want winter tyres as I have the car with them.
It's a minefield when it comes to tyres as there's so many choices and with any forum many thoughts, but you tend to find forums have a slight preference.
Ta

I'm no expert on tyres so left it to my VW dealer to find me some.
My origional VW Dunlop Sport ( 3 years and 25,000miles ) have just been replaced by Toyo CF1's. Good value.

I also have some winter tyres Goodyear Cargo on steel rims which I'll swap round in November to see me through the cold spell.

rob

It depends on what size if you are after 18 inch I recommend hankook :thumb

They are to go on a set of 17" Thunders.
What sort of prices are people paying?

We replaced all four of ours recently with Hankooks and they are wearing very well, paid £128 each

I have thunders with Continentals on.

THe rears are hardly worn at all after 13,000 miles. I reckon the fronts will need changing at 15,000-18,000.

Looking at the price comparison sites:

Toyo £117
Kumho £127
Hankook £134
Dunlop £142
Goodyear £148
Michelin £152
Yokohama £152
Continental £156
Uniroyal £197

Based on that I will probably stick with Conti's as I am OCD about having matching tyres. Also due to the spate of spare wheels being nicked I am going to move the spare onto one of the worn front, replace the other worn front with a matching tyre and then put the least worn of the fronts onto the spare. Then if it is stolen it is not a massive loss.

As we are in to polls at the moment I wonder if we can do a 2 dimensional poll where we select the brand and mileage for that brand - that would be very useful.

If I was replacing all 4 I would consider the Toyo as they get reasonable reviews and are a considerable saving over the £150 per corner for most of the recognised brands.

T

Sorry to jump on this thread but I would also be interested to hear of anyone's opinions on the low rolling resistance tyres that are fitted as standard on blue motion Californias (17" wheels). Do they have enough grip in the wet? What about in the British winter?

I wanted to get the winter tyres with my new build order but was told they are only available with thunder alloys (which I didn't really want) so have had to stay with the standard ones. To me, low rolling resistance says "may not stop when you need them too!"

Should I be worried??

Maud

I have used verdestein winter tyres on my last 3 cars over the winter, great grip getting up a steep hill, I haven't got stuck yet even in the worst snow a few years ago. Bought some for my T5 17" wheels fitted for last winter, mildest winter for years 1 day of snow only light. Waiting to see what this winter brings!

I will need to replace my front ones very soon, they are just about on the wear indicator bar. I have 18" wheels and I will stick with Hankook as I too like to keep the make the same. My van has over 18k miles on it (not sure exactly how much more as it's been in the garage for the last 10 days!) So it's very interesting to see the prices you have quoted, I'll have to see what i can get mine for. :thanks

Can anyone tell me what tyres a new build 180 DSG on 17" alloys should come with as standard? I know the size and that they are low road rolling resistance tyres, but I would like to know the actual brand and name so that I can look at the gradings. :thanks
Maud

teeboy said:
I have thunders with Continentals on.

T

I lied I have Michelin - clearly my OCD is failing me. On the plus side I will save £4

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Maud said:
Can anyone tell me what tyres a new build 180 DSG on 17" alloys should come with as standard? I know the size and that they are low road rolling resistance tyres, but I would like to know the actual brand and name so that I can look at the gradings. :thanks
Maud

Hi Maud, congratulations on your order. We got ours May '14 with Cascavel Anthracite wheels (the black and silver version) and they came with Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tyres. 235/55 R17 103 W extra load

Hi Looby,

Thank you - that's great! I will get googling :thumb

Maud

Our Beach delivered in July this year came from the factory with bridgestone turanza tyres. I need winter wheels (Switzerland) so bought a three year old set of steels with nokian WRC van tyres. I am hoping to get 2 seasons from the tyres.

I am fastidious about tyres, they are very important.

Maud said:
Maud

Depends what VW have been able to buy a container load of at the best price when your Cali is built.

For Any one interested here are the results of the winter tyre test for this year by the swiss motor organisation TCS. Green is highly recommended and yellow is recommended. Although there are a must here, even in the UK I would no always switch to winter tyres.

On my fire breathing Audi I use the dunlop 4D, I will see how I get on with the nokians on the Beach this year - I didn't like buying second hand tyres but as my grandmother used to say "needs must when the devil drives" or the bank account says Nooooo!!

http://www.tcs.ch/de/test-sicherheit/te ... reifen.php

BTW summer tyres were tested here

http://www.tcs.ch/de/test-sicherheit/te ... reifen.php

summer tyres: continental SportContact 5
winter tyres: Nokian WRC cargo

We have 17" thunders with Continental tyres, the wear rate is so far very impressive.

Just had a free healthcheck last week and with 13.5k miles (and 2 years old) the rears are both worn to 6mm each and both fronts are worn to 4mm.

The spare is 8mm (!) so i presume this to be the tread depth when brand new.

I was expecting to start replacing tyres by now, but it seems the wear rate is perfectly even and theres still plenty of life left in them.

We will certainly be replacing them when the time comes, for the same tyre.

Hi So Dunlop boots have done 18,500 on 17' thunder alloys not to bad. Need changing was going to go Dunlop again but people seem to rate Kumho what sort of mileage are people getting.

Currently at over 25,000 miles on the original set of Hankook. (16" alloys). I swapped them around about 3000 miles ago to even up the wear. Should have done it earlier as the rears (old fronts) will probably need replacing before the fronts.

Thanks Owen wow 25,000 miles that's pretty good... Did they come as standard from new?

Thanks Owen wow 25,000 miles that's pretty good... Did they come as standard from new?
Yes. At least I assume so, mine was an ex demonstrator and had 6000 miles when I got it (3 years ago in 6 days time). I haven't had to change the tyres but when I do Hankooks will be top of the list to consider. I've spent far more on cycle tyres over the 3 years!

We have 17" thunders with Continental tyres, the wear rate is so far very impressive.

Just had a free healthcheck last week and with 13.5k miles (and 2 years old) the rears are both worn to 6mm each and both fronts are worn to 4mm.

The spare is 8mm (!) so i presume this to be the tread depth when brand new.

I was expecting to start replacing tyres by now, but it seems the wear rate is perfectly even and theres still plenty of life left in them.

We will certainly be replacing them when the time comes, for the same tyre.
For what it's worth.....

I finally replaced the two fronts on our 17" thunder alloys at 20,000 miles!

I replaced with the same brand of Continental as I'm very happy with the wear rate and lifespan.

Interestingly, I called our vw dealer and they quoted me circa £250 per tyre, 5 minutes of calling round the local tyre fitters and I'd ha,bed the cost to £120 fitted per corner, a significant reduction.

The rears still have plenty of life left in them yet!!

Yes. At least I assume so, mine was an ex demonstrator and had 6000 miles when I got it (3 years ago in 6 days time). I haven't had to change the tyres but when I do Hankooks will be top of the list to consider. I've spent far more on cycle tyres over the 3 years!
Check the tyres carefully because they have a lifespan dictated by UV and weight distribution degradation of the rubber not just milage covered. Low milage with the vehicle left stationary for extended periods can damage the tyre sidewalls.

I'm no expert on tyres so left it to my VW dealer to find me some.
My origional VW Dunlop Sport ( 3 years and 25,000miles ) have just been replaced by Toyo CF1's. Good value.

I also have some winter tyres Goodyear Cargo on steel rims which I'll swap round in November to see me through the cold spell.

rob
Just the same: I have original Dunlop Sport and I am on 27,000 miles, I have another thousand miles or so before hitting the wear mark. Would buy again probably, unless others can point me otherwise in another direction...