Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wonky roof... one side drops slightly when up.

ashleaf

ashleaf

VIP Member
Hi all, I'm in the south of Portugal at the moment and have a problem with the pop up roof. Over an hour or two one side of the roof drops down a few inches on the drivers side, it worried me slightly when I was sleeping up top with my daughter and noticed in the middle of the night. The self adjusting after 10 hours did appear to level it out and I had thought that it had sorted the problem but the same thing happened again last night. I do have a roof box but have taken it off each time before raising. Just thought I would see if anyone else has had the same problem before I call VW tomorrow.

Cheers.A:)

I've heard of this only once before. The hydraulics needed to be replaced. I think that van was under warranty so the whole lot was done.

Thanks Californiaman, I'll give them a call tomorrow and let them know. I think I can just about live with it at the moment although very annoying and slightly worrying. Do you think they'll be alright with me coming back in March to get it sorted? Wasn't planning on coming back before then.

Is it still under warranty?

If so then I imagine the dealers will replace the whole lot.

I don't know what attitude they'll have to a 5/6 month delay before fixing it. Don't really see why it should be a problem. You could always take it to a dealer over there - I don't see why they shouldn't be able to fix it.

If it is a hyraulics problem, I would imagine that you could jury rig up a clamp of some sort to keep the mechanism up once it is up...

We found lowering it in a force 10 caused extreme wonkiness. Luckily after one lowering where it didn't sit flat, I managed to raise it slightly then lower it again properly.

Damn tough those roofs!

Hope you sort this one out ashleaf - where in Portugal are you? Superb country!

Have had one that did something similar, but it would not raise itself back up. We ended up replacing the hydraulic ram on the side it was dropping. We would not replace the whole system. Can you measure how much it drops by?

cheers

Ours had a habit of doing the same; i've got into a habit of raising the roof, lowering it a tiny bit (a couple of seconds on the button), and raising it back up again each time I put it up. Then the problem does not occur.

Not sure why it works but it seems too.

Simon

Judging by eye it drops between 4-6 inches, i'll get the tape measure out later. I tried lowering it a little and then up again which does straighten it out but still after a few hours it starts dropping.

Luckily but actually quite boring compared to sleeping in the California we're staying in a villa that my family have booked for the next 2 weeks and then we're off to the local campsite.

We're in Sagres south PortugaI and I can't actually seem to find a european dealer using the VW website and I tried a quick google, I'll give VW a call in a bit to see if they can help. To be honest I'm not sure what to do...shall we just live with it until we get home? I do have a massive bell tent so either us or the children can sleep in there.

Love it here though, I think we'll stay for as long as possible and I may need a surfboard! :thumb

As far as I remember, the roof should self-adjust after 10 hours, then every 5 hours afterwards. Are you leaving it up all day or putting it down and then up again?

cheers

Yes it does self adjust as you said and although the first time it didn't actually drop again it has done every time since then. I've not had it constantly up for more than 18 hours at a time yet, we slept in it five nights last week. :sad

Could it be possible that when you put it up for a night it is not up for ten hours so not adjusting?

cheers

No because each night I have had it up for more than 10 hours and it has self adjusted but then dropped again within an hour or two. Surely this shouldn't happen anyway. :sad

Sounds just like mine was behaving.

Try my workaround of when putting it up, raise it, immediately lower it slightly, and immediately fully raise it again (letting it fully bleed when raising both times). It hasn't happened to me since adopting this routine (and before it was dropping significantly on one side after maybe 10 minutes...)

<sigh> Must add it to my own growing list of warranty items... some of which VW are failing to be able to sort out...

Simon

ashleaf said:
No because each night I have had it up for more than 10 hours and it has self adjusted but then dropped again within an hour or two. Surely this shouldn't happen anyway. :sad

Do you find the pump noisy at all?

See point in bold along with other problems.

We bought the new cali out of the wrapping in Dec and so far:
-Have had to have section above windscreen re-sprayed due to paint bubbling
-Sink tap replaced as fell off after never once being used
-Flexi roof light snapped, now replaced
-Roof console stopped working, now replaced
-Roof raising unevenly - under investigation-Water ingress on rear nearside – under investigation
-Cupboard under sink door handles both come off – under investigation

I am less than impressed to say the least.

Does anyone have the e-mail of Alex Smith, UK Director VW CV?

Simon tried your workaround but did not fix, still drops on the one side.

SMG I have not noticed the pumps being noisy.

I'm going to try and find a VW repair center in South of Portugal over the next few days.

Cheers
Ash

We had exactly the same problem.

It went into the dealership and they replaced the hydraulics on one side - it is fine now but we didn't use it once we had identified the problem in case it buckled the roof.

Think we have the same problem.

Put up roof, leave it for 10 mins and then the near side has dropped an inch and the tent bit has gone all saggy.

Is this a quick job to replace for the dealer, or do you have to wait weeks to diagnose, approve and fit??

Cheers

Tony

Yes it should be quick although not had mine sorted yet. I took it to the dealers they tested it (had it for a day), confirmed there was a problem with the hydraulics and then ordered the parts. Got mine booked in next Tuesday. I'm hoping that will be the last time I need to take it back.

Cheers
Ash

Yep
It's happening with us too. Started slipping in the Lakes over half term. :headbang

Been waiting for the new parts to arrive for 2 weeks and then got told yesterday by the dealer that it will be another week as he doesn't have a delivery date yet - also has another one in the workshop waiting for the parts. Is this becoming a common problem?

What worries me is that it will turn into one of those problems that will keep reoccurring and the van will forever be in and out of the dealers.Warranty covers the cost but not the inconvienience of not having the use of the vehicle, especially with holidays coming up!

Have those people who have had the problem fixed had any reoccurrences and do the dealers appear to know what they are doing when carrying out the repair?

Any other users experiences gratefully received.

Paul and Ceri

My fix was pretty quick - I was on holiday for a week (obviously not in the camper) so I left it with them before I left and was ready when I came back 8 days later. That included diagnostics and repair.

I think there are a few things that could go wrong - left hydralic ram, right, or pump - I think mine was the left Ram - although the warranty receipt is pretty non-specific.

Tony

Archie said:
Yep
It's happening with us too. Started slipping in the Lakes over half term. :headbang

Been waiting for the new parts to arrive for 2 weeks and then got told yesterday by the dealer that it will be another week as he doesn't have a delivery date yet - also has another one in the workshop waiting for the parts. Is this becoming a common problem?

What worries me is that it will turn into one of those problems that will keep reoccurring and the van will forever be in and out of the dealers.Warranty covers the cost but not the inconvienience of not having the use of the vehicle, especially with holidays coming up!

Have those people who have had the problem fixed had any reoccurrences and do the dealers appear to know what they are doing when carrying out the repair?

Any other users experiences gratefully received.

Paul and Ceri

I have seen this on mine on a few of my recent trips. It drops down by about 1 to 2 inches on the drivers side after 1 or 2 nights and I had to go to the control panel to "open" the roof fully again because the canvas was sagging quite a bit. I also noticed that when closing the roof it does not close evenly. I was going to take it into the local High Wycombe VW but the the other weekend away the one-sided sagging didn't occur. We have a 2.5 week holiday in France coming up so will probably take it into the VW garage after we get back depending on whether it's still occurring. My cali is still under warranty thankfully.

I think a bit of droop after a couple of nights is normal, in fact I think the pump should come one occasionally to counter that.

When we had the problem the drop was obvious after 10 mins

T

Hi,

We had this problem and our VW dealer replaced the hydrolics. However, the problem has recurred even after the fix. It seems to be one side only. If you close without raising the roof first then it doesn't close properly. I think this is a problem with over complicated electronics.

I may see if I can argue this problem occurred prior to warranty expiring.

I think it would be good to explore options about having a manual roof installed. Much easier!

I am sure there is a business oppourtunity converting ageing cali se roofs to manual!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4