Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wonky roof... one side drops slightly when up.

Hi,
My 2008 Cali would tend to drop on the offside when the roof had been up for a number of days. The first time it reset was in the small hours of the morning and near frightened me to death. It happened a couple more times during my ownership but was anticiapted as I could actually notice the `give` in the side panel.
My 61 plate has done it once and I have just come to accept the fact that it ocassionally happens. The loosening of the canvas has never been severe just noticeable is all and currently I am living with it. The slackening is also on the offside. I do wonder if being very level is critical but more likely is the fact that the wind might be from that direction and ultimately have it`s way with the hydraulics. Pretty sure if it happened every time I was out, it would be in for a repair in double quick time. Correction! I don`t do anything in double quick time anymore. Best of luck with it.

Bob

brother10 said:
The slackening is also on the offside. I do wonder if being very level is critical but more likely is the fact that the wind might be from

Hi, Bob

We've had one side come down quicker than the other when it's been the side facing the sun for a few days – not sure if that has an affect on the hydraulics or if it was just chance…

But when it's just lost a little tension that's usually on both sides.

Steve

We have just returned back from a trip in France, Sylvia (5.1 2012 180DSG) had the sagging problem after the second night, it would drop about 40mm in 1 hour. I pumped the roof back again and it was fine for the next night. the following had the same sagging and 3 times it was pumped back up before it finally stayed. the following night 10 times pumped up and then I just gave up. I cut a piece of timber the correct length on the following campsite and jammed it parallel to the hydraulic ram effectively taking the load off of the ram. No problem with sagging whilst on this campsite, funny thing was I never had the problem for the rest of the holiday again but will still take it in as it's under warranty to get it checked.

i had the same problem in the jungle in belize and guatemala, and when it was all raised i tied a rope to the metal fork that pops up the roof and the other side to the front wheel, so i couldnt get back.so u can sleep peacefuly.
u can do that until u get to a vw california dealer

I have the same intermittent wonky roof-raising problem with my California, which I bought new in July 2012. Happens every now and then, always driver's side, four inches or so down. Sometimes sorts itself out automatically (generally in the middle of the night, which is rather alarming).

I told my supplying dealer - Colbornes in Peasmarsh, south of Guildford - and they ordered a new set of hydraulics for when I took the van in: it sounded as though they'd had prior experience of the issue.

Then I hit a problem: the roof behaved impeccably while the van was in Colbornes' care, refusing to droop no matter how many times they raised and lowered it: as such they declined to do anything to help. I'm sending them some pictures of when the roof drooped on the five-week European tour I've just come back from, but they have intimated that if they don't see it happening while they have the van physically in their care, they won't do anything.

I'm not sure what else I can do, other than go and camp in their car park...

Was the temperature significantly different when you were abroad..? If so, you may need to try and replicate it. I wonder if you could get it into a heated spray booth with the roof up..??