Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you lend your Cali?

• Thread starter T5_Big_Blueberry
  • Start date
I am about to lend mine to my son and his girlfriend for a 4-Day trip.

It is fully insured and they also have 3rd party liability insurance, so if they break anything by accident/misuse they are also insured.

It's only a van at the end of the day - the relationship with my son will be there long after the Cali has been sold or landed on the scrap heap.
I would too be happy for my sons to use it as they do with our cars but they show no interest. One lives in London and no where to park and is happy with a tent the other does not like camping. I like your sentiment.

I am about to lend mine to my son and his girlfriend for a 4-Day trip.

It is fully insured and they also have 3rd party liability insurance, so if they break anything by accident/misuse they are also insured.
Can I ask where you/they got the 3rd party liability insurance from?

Can I ask where you/they got the 3rd party liability insurance from?
It's very common in Germany to take out private "Haftpflichtversicherung" which is liability insurance for a private person ... I also have it and it insures you against accidental damage to other peoples property. Don't know if there is an equivalent in the UK but his looks close ...

Could be you already have it in your home insurance, but I don't know enough about insurance in the U.K. to say for sure. I never had it until I came to Germany.

I’m not sure; they’re not big vehicles but for someone used to a car I’d imagine quite easy to scrape - I wouldn’t enjoy dealing with that with even a close family member given the probable repair costs, even if I had been up front about how much repairs cost. Perhaps not an issue if you’re not bothered about keeping a vehicle immaculate but I like to.

A couple of friends have asked us if they can borrow our beloved T5 Ocean, we said we'd have a think about it.

I'm not keen but don't really know how to say no without sounding like a stingy ar$e. There are just so many things to know/pass on, quirks and stuff that can get broken or damaged if you're not experienced. They have of course assured that they will sort out any problems and offered to even pay a fee but we wouldn't take any money and it isn't about that. It's just feels like a must bigger ask than they seem to think it is (they're not and have never been van owners).

Am I being unreasonable? Would you or have you lent your van? If not, how did you respond to requests? If so, how did it go?
No way. There are so many
I would too be happy for my sons to use it as they do with our cars but they show no interest. One lives in London and no where to park and is happy with a tent the other does not like camping. I like your sentiment.
No! No! trice No!

Too many idiosyncrasies to learn to with regards to camping out in the van, many at the risk of damaging your Cali and costing £££££s to put back to its pre-lend out condition.

No way. There are so many

No! No! trice No!

Too many idiosyncrasies to learn to with regards to camping out in the van, many at the risk of damaging your Cali and costing £££££s to put back to its pre-lend out condition.
I wonder if you’ve overestimated the brain size required to use a California.

I can use one, without damage, quite easily. Although my brain used to be huge, I promise you it’s not faired well over the years and still things are ok with the camper.

Never. :mad: NO. :headbang and Hell, No. :shocked:eek::Nailbiting

It's not about them paying for repairs if they damage something. If they cause a problem you still have to get it fixed, you are the one who will lose use of your beloved van whilst that happens, you will forever know where the problem was/is, you may well be the one with increased insurance premiums for five years if you have to make a claim.

And your friendship will never be the same.

As has already been said "do not lend anything, to anyone, unless you are OK with never seeing it in the same condition again".

A couple of friends have asked us if they can borrow our beloved T5 Ocean, we said we'd have a think about it.

I'm not keen but don't really know how to say no without sounding like a stingy ar$e. There are just so many things to know/pass on, quirks and stuff that can get broken or damaged if you're not experienced. They have of course assured that they will sort out any problems and offered to even pay a fee but we wouldn't take any money and it isn't about that. It's just feels like a must bigger ask than they seem to think it is (they're not and have never been van owners).

Am I being unreasonable? Would you or have you lent your van? If not, how did you respond to requests? If so, how did it go?
Everyone imagines that since they can drive a car they can drive a van, ergo they can handle your Cali. That's a big 'No!". There is - as you point out - so many things that need care and a delicate hand, that a casual user is bound to break.
I can guarantee that when they bring it back your relationship will never be the same. Leave it at this: If they can afford to fix yours - for anything, at whatever cost - then they can afford to rent one from a commercial enterprise set up for this reason.
It is simply not viable to lend to a friend. To do so you will end up hating yourself and them and it will come to a sad end.

Prior to the introduction of the T6 the models available were the Beach and the SE with hydraulic roof and built in kitchen etc.
The Ocean replaced the SE with the T6. There is no such model as a T5 or T5.1 ( known as the face-lift T5 ) Ocean.
In Germany the SE is called the Ocean. With the high end option package it is referred to as an Ocean Comfortline. I imported mine to Canada from Germany.

This is a really difficult one. Until you have your own Cali it’s hard to explain why we would be reluctant to share our ‘happy place’.
Every time I sit in mine, I’m transported - like Mr Ben - to another place with adventures racing round in my head.
Oh, and to comment on the earlier thread, why am I not surprised a rank commander came back with some superficial damage and a T5 SE especially with the 2.5 engine is way above a mere Ocean! (Light the fuse and stand well back!….)

I would just explain that much as I live it, it is very fiddly and a bit fragile. I would point them in the direction of a company that rents them out.

Absolutely no .. too complex. I make the excuse that it’s filled with all my ‘stuff’

Am I being unreasonable? Would you or have you lent your van? If not, how did you respond to requests? If so, how did Simple NO it go?

Nope, it's my daily drive and far too precious. I said to one of my four sons that I would sell it when I decided to stop driving. I was duly told I wasn't allowed to do that as he and his brothers already had plans for it. I asked if that included taking me anywhere. With a smile on his face he said no as it would be their turn by then.

I learnt my lesson some years ago when I lent a vehicle to a friend who then had an accident as he pulled out of my drive and seriously damaged the side of vehicle. He was covered on my insurance - big mistake!! Not only would I lose no claims on this vehicle but also my other family vehicles. No claim consequences would have gone on for 3/4 years on all my vehicle insurances costing me £1000s. He nobly paid for the repair himself.
Lesson learnt is by all means lend cali if you wish but it has to be insured properly by the borrower.

I have my son on the comp Insurance policy for my new Beach. First, I took him away for a weekend in it and let him drive whilst I was with him. Then he started taking the van with his family (including a 1 year old) away for the weekend. He once took it to mate‘s party to avoid hotel costs (agreed no drunken mates would go near). As he has gained experience, I’ve started to show him the awning, this year as his daughter gets older, I’ll show him the pop top. So it’s worked so far for us. He’s my son and therefore more important than my van.

Very interesting comments. My eldest son asked me about 12 years ago (my Cali is from 2008), if he could borrow it to go to a festival. I said "no!" and he has never asked again : I think he understands why! Having said that, I now - in my older years - feel very guilty about the Cali sitting on our drive for most of the time: holidays in it are very rare now, for various reasons. So maybe I should let others appreciate it. The roof is - as someone has posted - the biggest issue with inexperienced users. Mine now has 5 mended spilts. 2 of them were recently (although I can't prove it) caused by a great repair yard restoring a large area of seriously damaged bodywork. They did a great job, but admitted they were struggling with opening and closing the roof - done to establish whether the main frame had become twisted. I suppose the answer is to leave the bunjee on if lending the van to others.

I made the mistake of offering to lend our van to a good friend after drinking too much one night.

Immediately went into regret mode for months after and worried about it constantly as there are a lot of idiosyncrasities to learn about the van.

Nothing you can't learn over time but easy to make a mistake and cause huge damage, especially the roof.

I've found you need to operate everything in the van with a certain amount of knowledge and care and if you get it wrong you are going to pay for it.

Thankfully my friend couldn't borrow it on the agreed date and I never mentioned it again.

I felt so relieved.

If it does ever come up it will be a firm 'no', in the nicest possible way.

I would have lent mine to my daughters if they asked, which is unlikely. But they are in their 40s and 50s, one has her own converted Sprinter and the other drives a new Defender which I think is as big as my van. And I know they would make sure that any damage didn't come back on me.
It's not going to happen as it's my only vehicle now so maybe it's easy for me to say that.

Our Ocean was bought with the intention that it would also be used by our son's and daughter's families.
This arrangement has worked well to date with the families mainly using it during the summer school holidays, allowing my wife and I to go away during the less busy school term time.
The Ocean has lots of moving parts and no other friends or family members are allowed to borrow it.

This is a really difficult one. Until you have your own Cali it’s hard to explain why we would be reluctant to share our ‘happy place’.
Every time I sit in mine, I’m transported - like Mr Ben - to another place with adventures racing round in my head.
Oh, and to comment on the earlier thread, why am I not surprised a rank commander came back with some superficial damage and a T5 SE especially with the 2.5 engine is way above a mere Ocean! (Light the fuse and stand well back!….)
Haha! Totally agree with the last bit !

Back