Would you lend your Cali?

• Thread starter T5_Big_Blueberry
  • Start date
T

T5_Big_Blueberry

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
A couple of friends have asked us if they can borrow our beloved T5 Ocean, we said we'd have a think about it.

I'm not keen but don't really know how to say no without sounding like a stingy ar$e. There are just so many things to know/pass on, quirks and stuff that can get broken or damaged if you're not experienced. They have of course assured that they will sort out any problems and offered to even pay a fee but we wouldn't take any money and it isn't about that. It's just feels like a must bigger ask than they seem to think it is (they're not and have never been van owners).

Am I being unreasonable? Would you or have you lent your van? If not, how did you respond to requests? If so, how did it go?

Last edited:
A couple of friends have asked us if they can borrow our beloved T5 Ocean, we said we'd have a think about it.

I'm not keen but don't really know how to say no without sounding like a stingy ar$e. There are just so many things to know/pass on, quirks and stuff that can get broken or damaged if you're not experienced. They have of course assured that they will sort out any problems and offered to even pay a fee but we wouldn't take any money and it isn't about that. It's just feels like a must bigger ask than they seem to think it is (they're not and have never been van owners).

Am I being unreasonable? Would you or have you lent your van? If not, how did you respond to requests? If so, how did it go?
I’d say no. It’s an expensive and complex vehicle which can prove costly should they make a mistake. Not an easy one to give a flat no, but I think you should say “sorry, but no”.
Not sure you have an Ocean though ;)

I’d say no. It’s an expensive and complex vehicle which can prove costly should they make a mistake. Not an easy one to give a flat no, but I think you should say “sorry, but no”.
Not sure you have an Ocean though ;)
Ah, is Ocean just a T6 thing? I thought it just meant "has a kitchen" :D

I have no problem saying no. Not a double negative - just no.

I never lend the Cali. My wife knows. Our friends know.
The roof mechanism alone requires quite a lot of care. The Cali is robust but some people treat their cars in a different way. I would never get into a potential payment problem over breakages with friends. It would be a nightmare.

We even once stayed at a friends flat in Spain - whilst they were there - and I think there was some kind of ‘we owe them one’ suggestion. No way! Luckily the father of 3 knew his kids would likely destroy our van in minutes and he didn’t want to have to spend a weekend camping worrying about it.

What’s worse, them thinking you’re fussy about your van, or having to ask them for money to fix your California?? No comparison.

Ah, is Ocean just a T6 thing? I thought it just meant "has a kitchen" :D
If you’ve got a T5 California with a kitchen it’s an “SE“.
Your “vehicle“ shows T5 on order.
I‘d definitely say no to lending… far to many bits to break unless you are very careful.

Mates? No!
Friends ? Yes, absolutely.

What’s to gain is so much more precious than anything you can lose. Imagine the fun you can have together when they buy their own!

After everything is said and done it’s a bunch of metal and plastic that was thrown together in the name of fun. It’s not a sacrilegious scroll that must be preserved for humanity to make sense.

Last edited:
i don't lend mine, no. partly because i use it all the time, but partly because even though i have good insurance, i would still lose potentially tens of thousands of £ if it was written off. a lot of neighbours / friends ask because i am the sort of person who lends things, but not this. i really look after it, and i would be really irritated if things like the blinds came back twisted or bits were broken off through carelessness. it would indeed be a two hour initiation to borrow it. that said i guess there are one or two best friends who i might lend it to, because i know they are careful. (but they never asked)

NO - Never a borrower or lender be.

sadly not everyone treats things with the same care and respect that you do.

Yes, it’s a vehicle to be used. I have lent it to family but I offered it, they did not ask. Although I have a Beach so less to damage in way of kitchen wardrobe and sliding doors.

Our No1 son & then girlfriend (he's a Reserve Forces tank commander, she's a surgeon, now his wife) borrowed ours for a trip to Devon (Those lanes!). It returned with a nicely bandaged N/S wing mirror. Needed a new mirror pod, awkward but I fixed it myself. They have borrowed it since for their honeymoon and other adventures it has been returned unscathed, with added wine & other goodies.

You could start the reply with 'it would mean you taking out fully comprehensive Insurance to cover all aspects of the Cali for the loan period' etc.

If you’ve got a T5 California with a kitchen it’s an “SE“.
Your “vehicle“ shows T5 on order.
I‘d definitely say no to lending… far to many bits to break unless you are very careful.

Now I am very confused. I have a T5 Beach so why no T5 Ocean. Searching for T5s gives lots of adverts for T5 Ocean. Why call one a Beach and the other SE. Is it just a marketing thing?

Last edited:
Now I am very confused. I have a T5 Beach so why no T5 Ocean. Searching for T5s gives lots of adverts for T5 Ocean. Why call one a Beach and the other SE. Is it just a marketing thing?
Prior to the introduction of the T6 the models available were the Beach and the SE with hydraulic roof and built in kitchen etc.
The Ocean replaced the SE with the T6. There is no such model as a T5 or T5.1 ( known as the face-lift T5 ) Ocean.

Explain that they are complicated vehicles and suggest they hire one for the first trip. If that goes OK then you could consider lending it in future.

I'm a bit, some would say very, OCD about our Cali and friends or familiy all know about that. I make sure they knew this from day one of our purchase (Feb '17). So when they ask the question I just look at them and say "I think you can answer this for yourself. No offence". They don't ask again and we still, all, get on fine.

:cool: :Iamsorry :cheers

I own an apartment in Spain and although I am happy for close relatives to stay there (my parents did when I was still working but theses days most of my relatives prefer a hotel). I find it odd that complete strangers ask me if I would rent it out. It is my other home and I feel that way about my van. I have it set up as I want it if someone else used it I would have to take out a lot of things first.

If the van is your main vehicle what would you do if someone was using it? Would you drive their car and would they be happy with that?

The only people we lend the van to are my parents. It makes them so happy and I know my father is like me, he knows every detail and takes care of the van as if it was his own. (He has long wanted one, but my mum won't have it ;-) )

But keep in mind the insurance issues. You might be insured when they damage the van, but your montly insurance payments will go up and stay up. If serious damage occurs, it might be too expensive to let your friends/family pay for the damage. And ther'es no such thing as cheap reapirs when it comes to california's.

Must admit I would never lend it out to anyone else besides my parents. Can imagine it would be hard to say no.

I would have just laughed and said "not a chance".
I doubt most people would expect / like someone to borrow their car for a week, this is no different.

I am about to lend mine to my son and his girlfriend for a 4-Day trip.

It is fully insured and they also have 3rd party liability insurance, so if they break anything by accident/misuse they are also insured.

It's only a van at the end of the day - the relationship with my son will be there long after the Cali has been sold or landed on the scrap heap.

Back