Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you lend your Cali to your kids?

I tried to :mad:

Not just my kids, my two nephews, my three great nephews, my Brother in law, ......

"Oh yes Jen, we'd love to be part of a family consortium, especially with something a little bigger like an Ayers Rock in the mix"

and so we waffled through lockdown, until I came close to having both .... and both on my drive.... and then, an offer I could not refuse ....

So now I've pissed them all off and sold the Cali :shocked

They can borrow the California any time but definitely no to the Ferrari F40.

Since I last contributed to this thread 4+ years ago, we now have our own Cali. In the last year have spent about 40 nights in it in various UK places and - as you all said we would - love it to bits. It’s now a three-year old which has had a Covid year off sitting forlornly on the drive just like 000s of others in the world.

Would we lend it now? Sure we would - with sensible briefings etc. It would be great to see them go off in it. The thing we didn’t expect is that they seem a bit reluctant - maybe because they see what fun we have with it and the care we take over it’s preservation that they worry more than we do about damage.

When the inevitable phrase “Dad, can we possibly borrow….” is uttered, it will be “sure but there are a few things I need to show you first….

Everything in life is better when shared.

I tried to :mad:

Not just my kids, my two nephews, my three great nephews, my Brother in law, ......

"Oh yes Jen, we'd love to be part of a family consortium, especially with something a little bigger like an Ayers Rock in the mix"

and so we waffled through lockdown, until I came close to having both .... and both on my drive.... and then, an offer I could not refuse ....

So now I've pissed them all off and sold the Cali :shocked
Nooooo!!!!

Nooooo!!!!

It is temporary.

There will be one back in the drive next summer. I could not afford two campers in the drive, the cash offer was ridiculous and it was a no-brainer. The "consortium" is now focussed.

It is temporary.

There will be one back in the drive next summer. I could not afford two campers in the drive, the cash offer was ridiculous and it was a no-brainer. The "consortium" is now focussed.
I like the idea of extra space but all that chip board is frightening

I want to cry!

Yesterday I lent my 6 week old Cali to my son. He has a 10 year perfect driving record and has driven vans before. He called in at his grandparents on the way to Brecon for a few nights camping and scraped two panels on their gatepost. I’ve only seen the damage via a brief video call but I expect both panels will now need to be fully resprayed. Aaaggghhh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such a dilemma
My 22 year old son and his girlfriend have tonight just returned from three nights in Pembrokeshire in my new Cali, its a year old so my pride and joy, I’ve had it 2 months so as you can imagine it’s was a difficult decision to let him borrow it. I had a tracker added for insurance purposes along with having a bit more comfort and control knowing that I would be letting the kids use it.
Despite having a worrying weekend I’m relieved to say he returned without incident , I have checked it out and could only find some streaky marks on the front windscreen! It turns out he had too much to drink on Saturday night and ended being sick whilst sleeping in the the pop up……. He opened the front vent and pewked over the front screen and bonnet ☹️☹️ Little sing
His efforts at the car wash were not up to much so now he has now had 1 strike!

He loved the van and the whole camping thing, so despite the minor sick incident I’m sure I’d be happy to let him have it again.
To me the Van is there to be used, so give the kids a chance.

My kids are 28 and 34 ( not so much kids any more) should I offer up the California for them to holiday in next year as they both keep hinting! Both have been driving since 20 , I am just worried how I would deal with it if they caused any damage?
I've put my kids on the insurance (ages 25 and 26) Some bits have got broken... but I view it that it's great for them to have experience of van life. One is more careful than the other I must say...however I wouldn't change it

Well it happened!

Yesterday we had a family gathering and whilst the drink flowed our eldest son and daughter in law suggested that we all went to the "Latitude" Music festival next year. Four adults and three children. "You"ll have a great time". When we said that it wasn't our sort if thing, our daughter in law asked if they could borrow our Cali. :Nailbiting Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Frankly, hell would have to freeze over first. We love them all to bits but their car, which we sold to them in mint condition at a token price, now looks like a cross between a skip and a toilet inside and smells like one as well. Then there's their driving styles. Let's just say that neither of them "take prisoners" and their car's bodywork shows the scars of previous conflict.

So the long and short of it is that we have agreed to go. We will drive our van, set up and run base camp whilst they can go off and enjoy themselves. Rather that than hand them the keys.

Well it happened!
Similar here.

At a family gathering yesterday my darling cousin, Catherine, popped the question. "Can Alistair and I borrow your Cali for a trip to southern France?"

I don't know what to say... On the plus side, it would be just the two of them.

It's a tale of trust and faith I guess. Our doughter used the big blue and our previous cali 5 times now, with her boyfriend or friends from university. All well except the first time: next to lac de Serre she panicked in the evening reading a sign that camping was strictly forbidden. Though it was out of season and another van was planning to stay, they quickly put table and chairs inside, started and off they went. Alas... the pop up roof was still standing, and the parking had a gate at 2m10...

Woke up with 12 missed calls, 7 new messages and some SMS. Luckily, only the cloth was teared to pieces, no real structural damage.

Fingers crossed she'll remember for ever. Wouldn't like to see my high top after meeting a heigth limit o_O

It's a tale of trust and faith I guess. Our doughter used the big blue and our previous cali 5 times now, with her boyfriend or friends from university. All well except the first time: next to lac de Serre she panicked in the evening reading a sign that camping was strictly forbidden. Though it was out of season and another van was planning to stay, they quickly put table and chairs inside, started and off they went. Alas... the pop up roof was still standing, and the parking had a gate at 2m10...

Woke up with 12 missed calls, 7 new messages and some SMS. Luckily, only the cloth was teared to pieces, no real structural damage.

Fingers crossed she'll remember for ever. Wouldn't like to see my high top after meeting a heigth limit o_O
:talktothehand. Well, that was my first experience with a rented big white, aiming for the Black Forrest. In a swift optimistic move I crushed the bunk bed ànd the gate at the German border! I was 25 when I decided to never pass the 2m limit again, ever.
I'm slowly explaining to my son now that the world around him is way smaller than what he has in his mind. Let's see how far he gets at the age of 30,... ;-)

Reading the various tales of woe on this thread has only reinforced my view that lending out a California is a very risky business and therefore not to be contemplated.

If you run a hire business you expect things to happen and can therefore include a hefty deposit to cover any minor damage with insurance covering the more serious incidents. However, I suspect any friends or relations will be expecting a much more informal arrangement. I would think that when assessing any request to borrow your pride and joy, you'd have to take into account their attitude towards other people's possessions and motor vehicles in particular. To some people a car us just a tin box and therefore shrug off any minor damage as just part of life's rich tapestry. Others may realise the risk that you are taking and be extra careful with your very expensive campervan. Either way it will get very awkward when it comes back damaged.

This is where relationships are put under stress or even ended. Do you:
1. Ask the borrower to pay for the repairs however small they may be?
Or
2. Do you grit your teeth and say "never mind these things happen". Then pay for the repairs yourself.

We all ķnow how expensive bodywork repairs can be, even for the smallest of damage. So asking your inlaws or friends to stump up and pay often won't end well. So personally the answer to that dreaded question "Can we borrow your £65,000 camper van" always has to be a firm NO.

Tell them that you value your relationship and advise them to go and hire one instead.

I recently lent our eldest daughter and son in law my late father's sixteen year old Skoda Fabia. As it is very cheap to run we keep it as a sort of pool car for family members to borrow when they have car problems. We also use it for local day to day stuff as it already has a nice patina and can be left anywhere. Anyway when it was returned it had two square nearside wheels and now pulls to the left. I only had the tracking done recently!

Last edited:
Yes, Our daughter had a great weeks holiday in ours last month, a bit nerve racking though as it is a different experience to drive; but OK in the end!

Well it happened!

Yesterday we had a family gathering and whilst the drink flowed our eldest son and daughter in law suggested that we all went to the "Latitude" Music festival next year. Four adults and three children. "You"ll have a great time". When we said that it wasn't our sort if thing, our daughter in law asked if they could borrow our Cali. :Nailbiting Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Frankly, hell would have to freeze over first. We love them all to bits but their car, which we sold to them in mint condition at a token price, now looks like a cross between a skip and a toilet inside and smells like one as well. Then there's their driving styles. Let's just say that neither of them "take prisoners" and their car's bodywork shows the scars of previous conflict.

So the long and short of it is that we have agreed to go. We will drive our van, set up and run base camp whilst they can go off and enjoy themselves. Rather that than hand them the keys.
Not sure i’d let them in ‘base camp’ !! :)

Why would i not? This his him doing his day job…

Similar here.

At a family gathering yesterday my darling cousin, Catherine, popped the question. "Can Alistair and I borrow your Cali for a trip to southern France?"

I don't know what to say... On the plus side, it would be just the two of them.
My son hired a VW camper for the WOMAD festival a couple of years ago. When he returned it the guy was pleased and commented that it was normal to find damage after every period of hire.

Not going to lend mine for a good few years yet. Love my kids to bits BUT…………

Not sure i’d let them in ‘base camp’ !! :)
Yes my thoughts exactly.

We treated the five of them to an end of school holidays surprise outing yesterday. It involved a trip to an aqua sports park. One hour of family fun in wet suits clambering all over a waterbourne bouncy castle assault course following by fifteen minutes of being towed behind a speedboat on an inflatable raft. Something I had done several weeks ago with our grandson. Whilst the kids enjoyed it their father decided it wasn't for him, threw his toys all over the place and went off to sulk in the van. Deep joy. :headbang

He had recovered enough to drink beer in a pub later that evening though!

So the thought of a moody brood at a music festival with us acting as the skivvies doesn't exactly fill us with joy. My plan is to keep quiet and hope the idea gets forgotten.

Last edited:
Yep. Love my kids, love my California, love to see them enjoying the family asset. I hope they remember this when I need their help.......

My kids are 28 and 34 ( not so much kids any more) should I offer up the California for them to holiday in next year as they both keep hinting! Both have been driving since 20 , I am just worried how I would deal with it if they caused any damage?
Yes I would, all 3 of my kids know it’s my pride & joy, they would look after it the same as I do.
I love for them to get away in it & have agreat time like we do, put a big smile on there faces .

oh my God, the Cali is just a piece metall
Very true, But it's my piece of metal.
Having had 4 cars written off by the 4 boys , admittedly when they were a lot younger I'm disinclined if they should ask. I know how they used to drive.

Hi @paolino I’ve noticed when i’ve been in Italy that many many vehicles have minor dents and scrapes (Rome in particular). I think that maybe the Italians are much more laid back about such things than the British :)
In the grand scheme of things you’re attitude is probably the more healthy one, but I want to avoid damage by immediate family until i’m less obsessive about my £74k lump of metal. :)

Back