Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you use parking place with 2 meter restriction?

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
Had a small argument with my wife... She says that if this bus is only 1m95 high, there would be no problem parking in a place with 2 meter restrictions. Just simple logical mathematics. I dare not to do that, do you?

Mulltistory car parks... no... It's a little too close for me and I don't trust some of hanging signs/pipework.

Outdoor car parks with a restricted entrance... yes... all the time. Lot's of carparks at the coast in the UK have these type of restrictions.

The sign of many goes-under bars will say 2m but I've seen many with a visible sag in the middle. Especially those home made looking ones that protect excellent pullins in the country and where the ground is often far from level.
If you risk it, have some one monitor your slow progress both in and out.
Good luck!

Yes I do but always very slowly with whoever is not driving out of the van watching there is clearance. Manchester T1 multistorey has about 30 mm clearance, addition of roof bars takes the cali over 2 meters.

No way. Sad enough to have measured on a couple of occasions. One of my local stops has sloping road entry from left to right. Turns out that the 2m was actually measured at the centre with the left hand side of the bars lower than 1.95m! Many of these car parks have a sign saying park at own risk, so does this cover entry at your own risk? Either way I won't risk it...

Some of our local car parks say 6'6'' for the barrier but also have a speed bump directly underneath:shocked
WTF

I regularly park at a sports club with a 2m restriction, I just have to make sure the padlock joining the two bars in the middle is not hanging down too far as it has touched the awning on one occasion. Its another good reason to get the suspension lowered to give an extra 30mm clearance.

+1 for yes but exclude multistorey car parks

Yes, watch this video of a tunnel in paris that we drove through, 2metre high and 70 km per hour speed, and 10,000 metres long. Needless to say i went to the toilet at the end.

John
Would you do the same in your Cali :eek:

only had mine a week and as its my daily driver was faced with a 2m barrier a very thick piece of solid steel, got out and made sure that I could clear it but very glad that I had it lowered 30mm:) funny thing was I actually crouched down in the drivers seat as I went through and proceeded to do so whilst I drove around for a space, strange feeling knowing you only have a an inch or so of room. Bet it felt strange doing that for 10Km.

I use a number of multi story car parks that have a 2m height restriction. This should be for the lowest section in the Car Park, including ramps. They tend to err on the cautious side as they wouldn't want any claims, so I use them especially NCP/Council/Shopping centres etc:
I know for a fact that when the AA was using T5's they would use them to get to stranded vehicles.

Yes, watch this video of a tunnel in paris that we drove through, 2metre high and 70 km per hour speed, and 10,000 metres long. Needless to say i went to the toilet at the end.

John
.Wow we went through the same tunnel in Paris back in October. The tunnel takes you into Versailles and this was the scariest drive ever in our Cali! The signage/signals etc which hang down are the worst, as you approach one after the other you think it's going to be the next one that you hit. Was in too much shock to record it though.... Glad you made it through...

Unfortunately been caught out twice in France ,once in the Carpark under Orleans Cathedral-no height restriction stated (the no entry sign on the exit had dropped & damaged the awning which is fractionally HIGHER THAN1.95 m by the way)
Second time in Amiens-2 metres height restriction & metal bars hung by chains to check the height bounced along the roof!!!!! Never again,no french underground car parks again

Had a small argument with my wife... She says that if this bus is only 1m95 high, there would be no problem parking in a place with 2 meter restrictions. Just simple logical mathematics. I dare not to do that, do you?
It's even scarier. According to this diagram the actual height of the Cali is 1m99 so your margin of error is just 1 cm.
california_dimensions-2.gif

Last edited:
It's even scarier. According to this diagram the actual height of the Cali is 1m99 so your margin of error is just 1 cm.
View attachment 7409
i noticed that the 1990 measurement is qualified with an asterisk. I wonder what the footnote associated with this asterisk is.... Maybe this is the totally unladen weight height?

10km tunnel under Paris! Proper infrastructure that! No wonder the French civil engineering industry has the job category of tunnelier - lots of holes bored for the TGV too!

As for car parks I plan ahead and find the 2.10m ones (thank the internet, parkopedia etc). I've never had to go into a 2.00m car park except one of those coastal ones with a barrier at Camber which was actually about 2.3m high.

I went under the 2.05m height barrier at Skegness without problems.

The really good news was that I was also able to escape, both the car park and, more importantly, Skegness, without any problems.

Took these measurements last year to make sure we could fit at Manchester T1 multistory, with fuel but not packed we had 1.96 m front of awning and 1.98 m rear.

One of the reasons we are happy with our air suspension! It has a 'parking garage' pre-set that will lower the van 7 cm while you can still drive at up to 35 km/h :cool:

Back