WTO TARIFF PRICE PROTECTION PROMISE

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Has anyone seen anything in writing that VW will honour their Price Protection Promise for California's delivered after March 31st 2021?Screenshot_20201125-205828_Email.jpgScreenshot_20201125-205828_Email.jpg

Tried to get something from my dealer but they basically said that VW wouldn’t confirm what the situation would be if delivery was after March 31st. All they would say is that I can cancel if my order is subject to Brexit tariffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've failed to get anything so far from VW.
I'm baffled how they can suggest that you can place an order before 2nd December 2020, for delivery before 31st March 2021. When the delivery delay being quoted by dealers and DTD is 6 months plus.

I've failed to get anything so far from VW.
I'm baffled how they can suggest that you can place an order before 2nd December 2020, for delivery before 31st March 2021. When the delivery delay being quoted by dealers and DTD is 6 months plus.
Exactly. Makes no sense. I was told my wait could be about 10 months (ordered in the Netherlands).

So if on January 1st the new tax/duty is due, who decides that you don’t need to pay..Will it be VW or the Government. All I know is that when I’ve imported goods from overseas for my business I have to pay on arrival through my agent...No ifs or buts...I have to pay..Its my legal obligation.. I cannot take delivery until the taxes are paid..

I used to import new cars from Belgium in the 1980's. Buying them VAT free in Belgium, then paying UK VAT, which had to be paid at the point and time of entry. In my case Dover docks.

I know in this case I was doing it as a sole trader, and it was VAT, which is different to import taxes. If tax is lieved, someone has to pay it. I'm sure VW will prefer it to be me rather than them!

So if on January 1st the new tax/duty is due, who decides that you don’t need to pay..Will it be VW or the Government. All I know is that when I’ve imported goods from overseas for my business I have to pay on arrival through my agent...No ifs or buts...I have to pay..Its my legal obligation.. I cannot take delivery until the taxes are paid..
Have to assume, given VW’s guarantee, that VW would pay the tax on arrival?

Unfortunately not all dealers are confirming the 28 day thing. Mine won’t.
In that case I would put serious pressure on them to give you that assurance. You should say that if they don't, you will cancel your order and place an order with a dealer that will. In fact you shouldn't just say that, it's what you should definitely do if they refuse!
Just be aware that you only have a week to do this...

Having spoken to another dealer, he confirmed it is stated only on an "internal document " that the Price Protection " is valid for 28 days on vehicles being consigned to a customer after 31st March 2021. Nothing in writing for the customer! Nothing from VW!

We are really close to ordering a new T6.1 Ocean (and mega excited about it) but we are nervous about the risk of being charged a big import tariff. I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience of this. I know we just missed the 2nd Dec deadline but even that confused us as we couldn't quite work out who was underwrtiggint the commitment...Maybe we just wait until after brexit...Any help or advice would be super.

We are really close to ordering a new T6.1 Ocean (and mega excited about it) but we are nervous about the risk of being charged a big import tariff. I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience of this. I know we just missed the 2nd Dec deadline but even that confused us as we couldn't quite work out who was underwrtiggint the commitment...Maybe we just wait until after brexit...Any help or advice would be super.
Terrible uncertainty isn’t it? Fingers crossed we’ll have a deal, which is a roller coaster in itself. I think as you’ve missed the ‘guarantee’ VW will still say that should a tariff be forthcoming you may choose to cancel your order and have your deposit returned. So...nothing to lose? I’d suggest you get on the long waiting list!

I am more worried about the suggested VED changes from the 21st April. Suggested that Cali will have its first years RFL based on emissions again which could add a few quid to the OTR costs.

Have to assume, given VW’s guarantee, that VW would pay the tax on arrival?
And you think VW will take a £5 k hit and not try and recoup it in some way? That’s not the way VW operates.. We know that they are far from honest when it comes to selling their products so why change now?

And you think VW will take a £5 k hit and not try and recoup it in some way? That’s not the way VW operates.. We know that they are far from honest when it comes to selling their products so why change now?
So how can they offer a guarantee that the customer will not pay?

Nonsense. Why offer the guarantee in the first place if they aren’t going to honour it? Worst case is loss of £500 deposit to walk away, which in most cases is fully refundable by the dealer anyway. Terrible PR, doesn’t make sense. Would also make for an interesting conversation legally I suspect, given many have it in writing.

They offered the no tariff guarantee because they were pretty certain a deal of some form or another would be agreed.

Absolutely, and they’re probably right. But they’ll still have to cover it if it goes ’Pete Tong’. Drop in the Ocean for VW though.

Thanks everyone...I’m going to tread carefully. In any case, the dealer told me delivery would be 3-4 month wait from ordering but somehow I think it will take much longer judging from comments here.

Thanks everyone...I’m going to tread carefully. In any case, the dealer told me delivery would be 3-4 month wait from ordering but somehow I think it will take much longer judging from comments here.
Surely not a case of a dealer being slightly optimistic to secure an order? ;-)

What do you think the real wait is likely to be?

Budget for the tariff and you’ll only be a winner If there is none - more cash for accessories. 3-4 months sounds a little racy but not massively so once they get over the initial RDE2 hurdle. Deposit is only normally £500 (in my experience anyway, others have paid £1k so perhaps depends on dealer/negotiation) and is normally refundable so no harm in getting on the list; any potential loss by walking away really is limited.

Back