Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your hardest Cali decision?

Stuart

Stuart

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Having spent far far too many hours thinking about tailgate vs towbar bike racks I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's hardest Cali decision has been?

Diff lock and 204bhp

I can understand those as they are things you can't change ... and yet I found the transmissions decisions easy. Bike racks can be changed but still I found this choice so difficult!

I ended up ordering without difflock on my 204DSG, I had to draw the line somewhere. But it was the hardest decision her too.

Having spent far far too many hours thinking about tailgate vs towbar bike racks I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's hardest Cali decision has been?

Rear camera or no rear camera. We went for no rear camera.

Bike rack or tow bar rack. Went for the removable tow bar as more difficult to add afterwards.

Mike

2-seat or 3-seat rear bench in a Beach.

I knew it was going to be a Beach as we cook outside / eat out, but it was a toss-up on whether the extra seat would be used that often relative to the full-time extra 'spaciousness'. One day we'll have to change plans to all get somewhere, but all campers are a compromise one way or another.

Still thinking about it, as it wasn't one for the factory.
VB Air Suspension or not :)

My hardest decision was whether to almost immediately pick up an Ocean T6 from a dealers stock which did not have all the options I wanted (and some unnecessary stuff), or to order exactly the Cali I wanted and wait 3-6 months. I decided to order exactly what I wanted. Delivery is about a week from now, exactly three months from order.
I made the right decision :).

Colour . Not a great choice for the ocean in January. Changed after we ordered from mojave beige to indium grey. Simon was very keen on the yellow ......shame not available on the ocean :)

What bottles of wine to christen Albert with,

He was a demo, exactly the spec I wanted when I went into the dealers to make a tentative enquiry, so no decisions whatsoever on what to have or not have.

Should i go and pay or am i going in wearing a forage cap....

I chose to buy a showroommodel so not much to decide for.

Cool! http://www.vbairsuspension.com/upload/files/00001946.pdf

Is that for off-roading or for on-road ride comfort?
Hi Hirsty,
It's to help me with my wild camping. I really like the idea of the adjustable air suspension to help me get to the remotest & daftest parts possible.
I've gone for heavy duty anti-roll bars, 4motion & the diff-lock too, so definitely going to try & push my luck with it where I can :)
The self-levelling is also a winner. No ramps needed! Any extra on-road comfort will be a bonus. There are a couple of forum members @briwy & @greenfintry who have given good reviews & posted some excellent pics of it in action.

Cheers
Tom

To loo or not to loo...that is, to carry a porta potti or not. Decided against wild camping, so the answer is not to...but I have an idea...................

Roof rack. Thule aerobars or slidebars, or Karitech, or........

No doubt I will procrastinate until a couple of days before I need a rack and then have to buy what is readily available.

Roof rack. Thule aerobars or slidebars, or Karitech, or........

No doubt I will procrastinate until a couple of days before I need a rack and then have to buy what is readily available.
Thule low profile all day long

Colour, I wanted yellow but couldn't get it on the Ocean. Still wonder whether I should have ordered 4motion but hopefully someone else will have it and tow me out.

No hard decisions, was a 2nd/3rd hand and had everything i could afford (no 4M), colour is great and I switched from looking for a Pössl to a Cali and I'm happy. All the upcoming decisions are "cosmetic" ones (wheels, decals, window tint). Love it the way it is!

I'm waiting for delivery but toughest decisions were colour (seem to prefer a different one each time I look), satnav (added it but expensive for what it is) and loo ... I've still not decided on this! Easier decisions were 4Motion, 204, DSG, LED headlights and a wide range of options. It's ludicriously expensive, no doubt, but I previously owned a T5 Caravelle and Westfalia James Cook v2 and thought I would keep my favourite items and fill in the gaps on what was lacking. Simple things like mud flaps were a pain to after-market fit on the Caravelle and didn't look as nice as factory, so I added those. I didn't need a towbar at the start but when I needed one later on the Caravelle it didn't integrate particularly well, so I've added that from factory. I'm happy with parking sensors but when I started towing I wished I had a camera for hitching, so I've added that too. There's a danger that I might spec a vehicle as if I'm going to own it for the rest of my life but it's rarely the case that they are around for more than a few years. Like buying new, adding a lot of options is a quick way to burn through a lot of money so it depends upon priorities ... I don't think it's sensible. I'm sure I would be happy with any vehicle that can get me to a beach and keep me warm for the night but since I'm not particularly sensible, this is what I have done. But damn ... the wait is long!

Deciding to buy a Cali in the first place. Such a big lump sum of money ,very scary. :Nailbiting .Had Mazda Bongo in the past. Hired Motorhome & T5 Cali twice .
Finally ordered after hiring Martin( Admin Staff) Ruby T5 . The kitchen was well packed,good use of space. Tried out the zone sleep & bike rack etc.
Extensive reading of this forum also a big factor in helping taking the final plunge.

Back