Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do Cali's get stolen without the keys?

Confirmed last night that the safe lock (deadlock) is activated when I lock as normal, closing drivers door, locking with the lock button on the key and NOT pressing the alarm sensor button on the B-pillar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we know what ‘safelock / deadlock’ actually means? Is it a real increase in physical security?

If it is, why does it need to be disabled when I activate the button on the B pillar because I’ve left the dog in the van at Tesco’s?

Do we know what ‘safelock / deadlock’ actually means? Is it a real increase in physical security?

If it is, why does it need to be disabled when I activate the button on the B pillar because I’ve left the dog in the van at Tesco’s?
When Safelock ON, then Deadlock activated and Imternal Motion Sensor On. Vehicle doors will Not open from inside..
Movement inside vehicle will sound alarm.

We did debate this a couple of years ago, IMO the B pillar button should work independently of the double key press.
For example the control of the deadlocking should only be on the double press of the key and the sensors should only be on the B pillar button.
That way when we lock up the cali with the roof up and the windows slightly open deadlocks would still be enforced and therefore harder to reach into the van and open the doors.

We did debate this a couple of years ago, IMO the B pillar button should work independently of the double key press.
For example the control of the deadlocking should only be on the double press of the key and the sensors should only be on the B pillar button.
That way when we lock up the cali with the roof up and the windows slightly open deadlocks would still be enforced and therefore harder to reach into the van and open the doors.
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Lock the van with a single press of the fob or a single turn in the lock barrel and the alarm and deadlock are set.

Lock the van with the fob or the key in the barrel while the B pillar button is orange, or with the driver's door rocker switch, or with a double click of the fob, or with a double turn of the key in the barrel and the van is locked without the deadlock and without the movement sensors being set.

It is not possible to deadlock the van without the motion sensors*.

It is not possible to set the motion sensors without deadlocking the van*.

*I do not know if this can be altered by Carista or similar.

Last edited:
Original Post corrected. My mistake. Why they can't use Red and Green I don't know.
It is confusing, I remember red as normal
The red is only the switch illumination, so technically, it is either Orange(Activated) or off, just like the others on the dash. (Park assist, Start stop etc)
No, Orange means you have isolated/turned off, red is normal operational mode.

So dead kicking / safelocking means simply that the doors can not be opened by (for eg) smashing a window and reaching through to use the handle to unlock the door...and gain entry?

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Lock the van with a single press of the fob or a single turn in the lock barrel and the alarm and deadlock are set.

Lock the van with the fob or the key in the barrel while the B pillar button is orange, or with the driver's door rocker switch, or with a double click of the fob, or with a double turn of the key in the barrel and the van is locked without the deadlock and without the movement sensors being set.

It is not possible to deadlock the van without the motion sensors*.

It is not possible to set the motion sensors without deadlocking the van*.

*I do not know if this can be altered by Carista or similar.
YES that is what I said :headbang

It is confusing, I remember red as normal

No, Orange means you have isolated/turned off, red is normal operational mode.
That is what I said, is no one reading properly this morning?

Orange = Activated (activation of the deactivation feature) :)

That is what I said, is no one reading properly this morning?

Orange = Activated (activation of the deactivation feature) :)
Activated =deactivated lol, think it was your confusing choice of words not my reading.

Activated =deactivated lol, think it was your confusing choice of words not my reading.
:) yea, I work in software so you get used to it.. you are effectively activating a feature, like the deactivation of stop start that is normally activated. :)

But seriously, VW dropped the ball on the b Piller/double press.
By deactivating the deadlock with the B Pillar button we have lost the selectability.

Mine flashes when alarmed, but there is a 30-second delay if the B pillar button has been pushed

:) yea, I work in software so you get used to it.. you are effectively activating a feature, like the deactivation of stop start that is normally activated. :)

But seriously, VW dropped the ball on the b Piller/double press.
By deactivating the deadlock with the B Pillar button we have lost the selectability.
I think VW are mitigating the risk of people deadlocking themselves in the van and then getting trapped in a fire. For that very same reason we don't lock our windows or deadlock our front door at night: I'd rather be burgled than be incinerated in my pajamas.

Oh no! Not the deadlock debate again! You just get your head around the concept then it all starts again

I think VW are mitigating the risk of people deadlocking themselves in the van and then getting trapped in a fire. For that very same reason we don't lock our windows or deadlock our front door at night: I'd rather be burgled than be incinerated in my pajamas.
Agreed, but you get the option to leave your house deadlocked with a window open if you want to.

But this won't happen if you get into the habit of locking with the inside door button instead of the remote which is a bad idea as you risk locking yourself outside.

Last edited:
So dead kicking / safelocking means simply that the doors can not be opened by (for eg) smashing a window and reaching through to use the handle to unlock the door...and gain entry?
Yes.

No. safelocking means simply that the doors can not be opened by (for eg) smashing a window and reaching through to use the handle to unlock the door...and gain entry and if you try to do so the alarm will sound.

The distinction is significant because if you lock but don't safelock someone can smash a window to gain entry through a door and the alarm will not sound.

No. safelocking means simply that the doors can not be opened by (for eg) smashing a window and reaching through to use the handle to unlock the door...and gain entry and if you try to do so the alarm will sound.
Safelock is just a bad translation for deadlock so yes it is the same, are you just being argumentative today :)

Just to clarify!
Unless my Cali is different to the norm...
With Deadlock/safelock on and motion detector off (B pillar switch). If window is smashed the villain can climb through window but cannot open doors and alarm will not sound.

Point four from the vehicle manual below confuses me:

Is the anti-theft alarm just the door alarm, or is it the door alarm, the volumetric sensor and the tilt (anti-tow alarm).