Do Cali's get stolen without the keys?

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
We often see reports of stolen Cali's being shared, but rarely get to find out the 'how'.
If I can stop any thief getting my keys (I've various plans), will I stop them pinching my Cali? (without turning the seat, putting security locks on the steering wheel or pedals.... The keys to those might be on the same key ring as the Cali Key).

We often see reports of stolen Cali's being shared, but rarely get to find out the 'how'.
If I can stop any thief getting my keys (I've various plans), will I stop them pinching my Cali? (without turning the seat, putting security locks on the steering wheel or pedals.... The keys to those might be on the same key ring as the Cali Key).
Interesting question.
I’ve assumed that it was the keyless systems, like the Range Rovers that were the most vulnerable and the more basic key systems were more secure.
I guess the only people who know “how” will be the thieves!

I have a surf key that is just the blade.

Although you can mechanically unlock the doors and insert the key in the ignition and turn it, the van will not start. The computer needs to talk to the key fob to allow that.

So my guess is that a thief must have either the keys or a system of capturing the transmission signal remotely and then re-transmitting that signal to the van later. Once unlocked, it is a simple job of hot-wiring the ignition.

Alan

Although you can mechanically unlock the doors and insert the key in the ignition and turn it, the van will not start. The computer needs to talk to the key fob to allow that.

So my guess is that a thief must have either the keys or a system of capturing the transmission signal remotely and then re-transmitting that signal to the van later. Once unlocked, it is a simple job of hot-wiring the ignition.

Alan
I think the fob needs to be pretty close to the ignition switch to work so any device used to capture the signal would need to be a matter of inches away, I may be wrong!

It wouldn't start when the fob was in my trouser pocket.

When I get a mo I plan to see if the engine will start with the fob sitting on the steering column and then how far away it can be moved.

Alan

Alan
According to Wikipedia... if the fob isn’t present the ECU will not allow you to hot wire, so looks like it’s pretty secure.

Around the ignition there is a coil. That sends and reads signals to and from the transponder (not transporter) in the key near the blade. So you really need to hold the blade side of the key in or very near the ignition as the coil won't send a signal for more than 0.5 cm. (or something like that).

As for the remote control: that signal goes up to 50 meters and more. This you can check out how far you can stand away from your California and see from what distance it doesn't react anymore.

The remote signal can easily picked up when closing your California (or opening it) by a device from people with bad meaning.
In crowdy places I try to remember to close my California with the key in the lock in the door. Then they can't read a signal from the remote.

As for starting it, I think there must also be devices to bypass the transponder code, otherwise they can't be stolen without the key.

Unfortunately we drive a car from a manufacturer that is still very wanted to steal. VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, are from the same family, so once they crack the code, all those vehicles are near to similar to open and drive away without the proper key.

You can't do more than hoping for the best, or try to install anti theft, but whey they really want your vehicle, they will take it, no matter what, unless it really takes too much time, or they are disturbed when trying to.

But, after 9 years, mine has never been stolen (lucky), even with the least effort to really secure it. The only thing I have lying around in the trunk is a stoplock steering wheel lock, but then they would only need to cut the steering wheel, pinch it open and remove that lock.

OK, enough of that negativism. Don't let the thought of one stealing your van spoil your lovely trips and holidays!!

Do we know (personally, or confidently through the forum) where a Cali has been stolen without the key?

The T5 has a known weakness that it can be started with a device in the OBD port, this is why people move their OBD ports or disable them.

The T5 has a known weakness that it can be started with a device in the OBD port, this is why people move their OBD ports or disable them.
Still have to overcome the Deadlocks and Steering Lock on the California. Some T5 vans have simpler anti-theft systems than the California has, provided it has been properly locked in the first instance.

Still have to overcome the Deadlocks and Steering Lock on the California. Some T5 vans have simpler anti-theft systems than the California has, provided it has been properly locked in the first instance.

Stupid question probably, but how does one properly lock it? I presume a longer click on the lock button I think that’s how my Golf works. Neighbour of mine told me last night he spotted someone taking pictures of what appeared to be the street and the postman but that he felt this person looked out of place and thought he might have been taking photos of our new van. So it’s got me thinking about security. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupid question probably, but how does one properly lock it? I presume a longer click on the lock button I think that’s how my Golf works. Neighbour of mine told me last night he spotted someone taking pictures of what appeared to be the street and the postman but that he felt this person looked out of place and thought he might have been taking photos of our new van. So it’s got me thinking about security. Thanks

Regarding the locking, I discovered to my horror the other day that, after spending the last few years locking it with a gap in the sliding window of the sliding door (for ventilation) that you could reach in and double pull the door handle to open it. I'd assumed it was deadlocked and couldn't be opened. Is there a locking procedure for deadlocking?

Regarding the locking, I discovered to my horror the other day that, after spending the last few years locking it with a gap in the sliding window of the sliding door (for ventilation) that you could reach in and double pull the door handle to open it. I'd assumed it was deadlocked and couldn't be opened. Is there a locking procedure for deadlocking?
Usually a single short click, or a single turn of the key in the barrel will lock and deadlock the doors.

To lock the doors without the deadlock and without the alarm:
  • double click
  • double turn the key in the barrel
  • click with the alarm button glowing orange
  • lock with the driver's door button

It is not possible to deadlock the van with someone or a dog inside. Any attempt to do so will result in the alarm going off at the first movement.

1 Press of the Remote, BUT ALL doors etc: should be locked. You should have a message on the Dashboard MFD when switching off the Ignition " Safelock Enabled _ see Handbook." this means that the Deadlocks will be engaged . If you DON'T see this message, open the Drivers Door, only - all others shut, and check the Alarm Button on the Drivers Door B Pillar - RHD only - it should be Red in colour. If Amber then Deadlock and internal alarms are disabled. Press the button to show the Red colour.

Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:

Make sure the keys are safe in the house.

My neighbors son had a focus st stolen off his drive and when he asked his neighbors if they saw anything they reported someone taking photos of it 2 days before.

Another reason we have an Autowatch Ghost fitted so even if they get the keys its not going anywhere.

Thanks all, I don’t remember seeing the safelock message on the MFD. I’ll have a look later on. I’ll also look into the Ghost immobiliser. Cheers

Usually a single short click, or a single turn of the key in the barrel will lock and deadlock the doors.

To lock the doors without the deadlock and without the alarm:
  • double click
  • double turn the key in the barrel
  • click with the alarm button glowing orange
  • lock with the driver's door button
It is not possible to deadlock the van with someone or a dog inside. Any attempt to do so will result in the alarm going off at the first movement.

I see - so because I have the internal movement sensor disabled, it won't deadlock?

I see - so because I have the internal movement sensor disabled, it won't deadlock?
Correct. I suppose that the assumption is that if the van is left without the alarm being set there is either a person or animal inside the vehicle, and there is a chance that the person or animal will need removing from the van in an emergency. It is annoying as I sometimes leave our dog in the van with the front windows partially open, and I cannot deadlock. I had mistaken believed that I could override this by double clicking to lock the van without the alarm, then setting the deadlock by turning the key in the barrel. Alas no, while leaving the van in this manner on the Brindisi to Igoumenitsa ferry the alarm went off and all eyes turned on me and the sound of tutting could briefly be heard over the din of the alarm in a confined metal space.

Last edited:
Make sure the keys are safe in the house.

My neighbors son had a focus st stolen off his drive and when he asked his neighbors if they saw anything they reported someone taking photos of it 2 days before.

Another reason we have an Autowatch Ghost fitted so even if they get the keys its not going anywhere.
Plus one for Ghost I also had there Thatcham 5 tracker fitted at same time for £150 instead of £250 as it was fitted as the same time as Imobiliser- now its monitored if it’s moving without key in ignition and police called with its location.

Insurers insisted upon a tracker for ours and I was happy to oblige. I have had a car with a tracker fitted stolen once before and the West Sussex police response was huge. It included seven normal units, two armed response units, two dog units and a helicopter. The local police had been trying to catch our car thief for a while and saw this theft of a tracked car as an opportunity. The car was recovered within four hours, unharmed and the thief, also unharmed, was apprehended. We have a fob for our Cali tracker and have been advised not to keep it on the van key ring.

check the Alarm Button on the Drivers Door B Pillar - RHD only - it should be Amber in colour. If Red then Deadlock and internal alarms are disabled. Press the button to show the Amber colour.
It's the opposite of this, red B pillar light means the alarm motion sensors are active, amber light to disable the sensors. :thumb

It's the opposite of this, red B pillar light means the alarm motion sensors are active, amber light to disable the sensors. :thumb
The red B pillar light means the alarm motion sensors and deadlock are active, amber light to disable the sensors and deadlock.
Original Post corrected. My mistake. Why they can't use Red and Green I don't know.

The red is only the switch illumination, so technically, it is either Orange(Activated) or off, just like the others on the dash. (Park assist, Start stop etc)