Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do Cali's get stolen without the keys?

That whole section is confusing as its entitled when safelock is deactivated and then the points contradict it..

I tested the “door locked as soon as I closed it and locked me out” issue some have fallen foul of this afternoon. I opened the slider, locked the van with the fob and went back into the house. Came out an hour later, closed the slider and it deadlocked straight away. So another reason to use the door button when camping and not the fob.

That whole section is confusing as its entitled when safelock is deactivated and then the points contradict it.
It was that which got me into trouble on the ferry. I deactivated Safelock with a double click of the key fob, then tried to activate Safelock without the anti-theft alarm by turning the key in the door lock cylinder, yet the vehicle alarm sounded.

But, perhaps I hadn't waited sufficiently long after deactivating Safelock before deadlocking without the alarm.

I tested the “door locked as soon as I closed it and locked me out” issue some have fallen foul of this afternoon. I opened the slider, locked the van with the fob and went back into the house. Came out an hour later, closed the slider and it deadlocked straight away. So another reason to use the door button when camping and not the fob.
Having tried many times to recreate this situation, and failed, I managed to do this when we were wild camping somewhere near Boscombe Down. I'd locked ourselves into the van with the driver's door button. At 4am I got up to have a pee, out of the passenger door, closed it and clunk - vehicle locked.

The whole point of me asking this (which has me totally confused) was to establish if I'm better parking my van a little away from my house....rather than on my drive... The logic being that unless they saw me enter my house (which is away from prying eyes), they wouldn't know which house to break into to find my keys.
If anyone has understood the manual, they probably deserve a free Cali.

The whole point of me asking this (which has me totally confused) was to establish if I'm better parking my van a little away from my house....rather than on my drive... The logic being that unless they saw me enter my house (which is away from prying eyes), they wouldn't know which house to break into to find my keys.
I like your logic, but it might depend on where you told your insurance?

I like your logic, but it might depend on where you told your insurance?
Whilst obviously some California's are pinched it cannot be a common event, that the insurance rates are so low for what is a very expensive vehicle suggests it is not a major problem.
I will not be putting large steel frames anywhere near my steering wheel, famous last words?

That sounds crazy.
I have a vision of you wearing a hat and a mack and some dark
glasses sneaking into your back garden making sure you weren't followed.

Original Post corrected. My mistake. Why they can't use Red and Green I don't know.
Neither colour helps someone who is colour blind, males are commonly red-green deficient. Separate lights are the only way for me.

Alan

Not totally related but still 'security theme'....we were considering a wheel clamp, specifically the Bulldog Euro which it appears have two sizes: the standard and the 4x4. I'm sure I read on this site that someone had purchased a Bulldog Euro 4x4 for their T5 , but can't find the posting. Our Cali has 235/155/17 tyres but the BE sizing advise is confusing...anyone help !

Not totally related but still 'security theme'....we were considering a wheel clamp, specifically the Bulldog Euro which it appears have two sizes: the standard and the 4x4. I'm sure I read on this site that someone had purchased a Bulldog Euro 4x4 for their T5 , but can't find the posting. Our Cali has 235/155/17 tyres but the BE sizing advise is confusing...anyone help !
We use both the Maypole wheel clamp & Maypole steering wheel lock

Few years ago some low profile thieves picked the signal from my BMW keyless key and they opened the car and just stole what was inside.

Since then, I keep the keys in this little wallet on a carabiner:

Arclit 2 x Car Key Signal Blocker Case 2 x Card Signal Blocker 4 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078ZJH32B/?tag=eliteelect-21

Hey @Loz , but someone can still pick a signal from my key and open the doors or do you mean that's not possible at all with Cali's?