Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4D number plates

White/silver letters/numbers on a black background can be legally used on any car registered prior to January 1973, i.e. up to end Dec 1972. They are reputed to confuse number recognition cameras.

I have just been talking to a friend who has a classic car who told me that since 2015, cars over 40 years old which are registered as historic vehicles can use the old style white on black number plates.The DVLA website confirms.
You are correct. This is my 1966. The plates are pressed silver on black. DVLA legal.

11404AD8-C933-43BF-A386-2F7A7A3DFB98.jpeg

EAA90FC5-EA30-4ACD-854A-2BEEA7DB1C10.jpeg

The purist might say that typeface isn't quite per those used on original British plates. (Although in the earliest days ie 1920s and before, the numbers were usually just painted it white on a black plate and the actual style depended on the whim of the coach painter).

Nice 'Stang by the way.

The purist might say that typeface isn't quite per those used on original British plates. (Although in the earliest days ie 1920s and before, the numbers were usually just painted it white on a black plate and the actual style depended on the whim of the coach painter).

Nice 'Stang by the way.
Thanks. Out today in the glorious sunshine. Yes I agree that pressed aluminium is not authentic, but more practical than the painted ones

Glorious! Is the lower one a De Dion?
No. It's a 1909 Renault AX. It's the automotive equivalent of an engine driven concrete mixer. Once started it will keep thumping along all day long. They are very rugged vehicles.

The same type of vehicle but in taxi form, were used to carry troops from Paris to the Battle if the Marne. French commander in chief Joseph Joffre famously employed around 350 Parisian Renault AX taxis to carry 6000 troops to the battle.

I wonder if they left the meters running until it was all over?

20200712_220449.jpg

Our particular car was imported to the UK new as a chassis, registered in Manchester with the first owner being the Head Chef at the Royal Railway Hotel in York. The lightweight two seater coachwork is by Gibbs, a long since defunct garage in York. It (the bodywork), is unique.

Last edited:
I like the 1956 style but I don’t think they comply anymore ? Does anyone know if that’s true ?
Modern number plates from 2001 (AB51 CDE) are specific by law, type face (font) and size, spacing, reflectivity, and manufacturers details. They have to be made by DVSA registered dealers.
If purchased elsewhere, they will not be legal even if they conform.
Any other additions such as mis spacing to produce a word, wrong font, words other than the manufacturer and postcode in the small print along the bottom, not stamped with the appropriate BS marking or any other thing make them illegal.

Previously prior to 2001 from 1972 - ( ABC 123 D and A 123 BCD) only the letter height was specified (not the type face/font), the spacing, and the reflectivity as they changed from white on black to black on white/ and yellow. So you could have 3D or raised profile letters, or italic font because it was "not wrong". These rules still apply to "historic vehicles" so if you restore a vehicle made prior to 1972 it can have white/silver numbers and letters on black.

It's down to the police to enforce on behalf of DVSA.

Looks good and you're right, it won't be long before we see lots more.Did the Newcastle registration come with the Cali?
Edit: Answer my own question; no, it's Birmingham. Used to be Newcastle under the old allocation system.

Last edited:
To be fair, I was looking at doing this myself - but was struggling to justify the price. (Cira £60 to get it done properly).

My old plates (previously affixed to a curved Lotus bumper) started to come away where they refused to lay flat even with copious amounts of sticky tape. I took it as devine guidance, and ordered some replacement plates.

I must confess - they look very crisp and clean.

And before anyone worries about my plate - dont worry, it's edited. ;)

118806538_639982170279598_4010371425685001055_n.jpg

To be fair, I was looking at doing this myself - but was struggling to justify the price. (Cira £60 to get it done properly).

My old plates (previously affixed to a curved Lotus bumper) started to come away where they refused to lay flat even with copious amounts of sticky tape. I took it as devine guidance, and ordered some replacement plates.

I must confess - they look very crisp and clean.

And before anyone worries about my plate - dont worry, it's edited. ;)

View attachment 65652
That is one hell of a shiny van, but i'm a bit worried
that your plate isn't conforming to the law :)

Should have EU in blue on the left :D

That is one hell of a shiny van, but i'm a bit worried
that your plate isn't conforming to the law :)

Should have EU in blue on the left :D

Technically that isn't legally required, and displaying 'EU' isn't worth anything - the only valuable 'flag' is one that states 'UK', which can be overcome with a simple 'UK' sticker that you can affix at a later stage temporarily. The only legal requirements of the plates are:

Correct Font
Correct Sizing
Correct Spacing
Correct Material

The plate also contains all the appropriate referencingregarding manufacturer and standards on the bottom

Just incase anyone else is wondering ;)

I was tempted to run without the space between the 9 and T as I have done for the past 5-6 years (never had any issues with the popo), but given the additional 'attraction/confusion' from authorities, I thought i'd make sure my nose is completely clean ;)