Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4moition.....no more?

babble

babble

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Thread to discuss the recent disappearance of all 4 motion options from California configurators in Belgium, France, Germany and now the UK. Is it:

(a) something to do with the supply of 4 motion parts
(b) the phasing out of the 4 motion T6.1 cali altogether? (as part of some bigger changes ahead)?

who knows?

Emissions targets mean that the 4mo is harder to get through the ever increasing requirement, there is more load on the 4mo engine having to power a 4 wheel drive powertrain rather than two.

Still available on the Polish configurator yesterday.

Well, what I learned this week:

4motion is not available to order.
I unofficially was told by 2 individual sources at Belgian dealers that the Cali production line will cease to exists end 2024; so if you want one, don't waste time.

Well, what I learned this week:

4motion is not available to order.
I unofficially was told by 2 individual sources at Belgian dealers that the Cali production line will cease to exists end 2024; so if you want one, don't waste time.
Which means last orders may be first half of 2024. This makes sense given the 10-15 year model cycles for the Cali. The move to EV or hybrid, emissions etc, shortening the T6 run.

Which means last orders may be first half of 2024. This makes sense given the 10-15 year model cycles for the Cali. The move to EV or hybrid, emissions etc, shortening the T6 run.
Dual motor / Long range E-van's would be 4WD anyway, so maybe this is the thinking behind it.

(Our EV has been great in the recent snow / ice even with worn summer tyres.)

Dual motor / Long range E-van's would be 4WD anyway, so maybe this is the thinking behind it.

(Our EV has been great in the recent snow / ice even with worn summer tyres.)
Although we only got our Cali Ocean in Sept, we really want an electric version. So if these changes take us there more quickly we will be very pleased.

What we've read in the German motor press is that the whole transporter production will cease in Hannover. The next generation vans will be a joint development with Ford, based on the platform of the Tourneo. There will be an electric, a petrol and a diesel variant. The stronger motor variants will still come with all-wheel drive.
Production of the Tourneo-based vehicles (Ford and VW Transporter variants) will move to Turkey. VW said there will be a campervan on that platform, eventually.

See this article:
Außerdem bringt Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge auf der gleichen Basis 2024 den Nachfolger des VW T6.1 (Transporter, Caravelle, California).

Or this video (0:26):

Last edited:
4WD Crafter & MAN TGE not available and orders in the pipeline being cancelled see...

One poor guy waited 18 months before being told the order was cancelled. I can only imagine how bad that feels......:rage

One poor guy waited 18 months before being told the order was cancelled. I can only imagine how bad that feels......:rage
Devastating -
and will feel the same if our order cancelled for 680 4motion, hope can get 2wd alternative if that’s the case

I wonder if VW’s decision to discontinue the 4Motion is in some way linked to the fact that there seems to have been a rush to fulfil 4Motion orders recently. In common with some others on this forum, my wait time for a 4Motion was only 4 months from order to delivery. Eurovans in Crawley was awash with 4Motions!

It seems that all VW commercial vans transporter and crafter will be built in Turkey by Ford. We are seeing the last of a generation and from now on VW will build only the car range including the Buzz and Multivan. My concern is the Buzz even in long wheelbase cannot carry the weight of a California as we recognise therefor the future is Ford based. :(

It seems that all VW commercial vans transporter and crafter will be built in Turkey by Ford. We are seeing the last of a generation and from now on VW will build only the car range including the Buzz and Multivan. My concern is the Buzz even in long wheelbase cannot carry the weight of a California as we recognise therefor the future is Ford based. :(
Yes the payload on the Buzz Cargo is a huge hurdle. Only 607kg vs 858kg for the T6.1 Transporter. Can't see the Buzz getting the full fat California treatment with kitchen, fridge, poptop even if the internal dimensions were equivalent, which they're not. Smart money will be on a VW/Ford collaboration, after all the Cali is a really niche product in the VW range so I'm sure it makes financial sense.

Will the VW Transporter (ford base ) be cheaper or the Ford offering be more expensive I wonder ?
one of these next westfalia-nugget-plus-hochdach_en_copy.php high roof

I wonder if VW’s decision to discontinue the 4Motion is in some way linked to the fact that there seems to have been a rush to fulfil 4Motion orders recently. In common with some others on this forum, my wait time for a 4Motion was only 4 months from order to delivery. Eurovans in Crawley was awash with 4Motions!
Yep mine was a 4motion from Crawley, picked up in November

I agree with Digger. I think that the future is Ford based. The Buzz is simply too small. Furthermore, to make an electric camper van will probably necessitate the fitting of 100kWa batteries which would probably make the battery and fit out elements too heavy for the car-based Buzz platform. The new Electric Transit probably points to the way ahead for those looking for an electric solution.

My thoughts on how to make the Buzz California viable, after all VW have indicated it is their intention to produce one: Make only a two berth version, the upper bed base alone is very heavy. Do away with that ridiculously heavy bench seat lounger thingy. No heavy gas bottle, pipework and fittings. Reduce the weight of the seats, there must be scope for doing this. General odd bits of weight saving here and there, and if things get desperate, only produce it in a single colour to save the weight of paint over spraying the second colour.

Surely a Buzz California will be like a Beach with limited cooker / storage. Sensible money will be a Transporter/Transit electric conversion as that will fit the bill.

I think that the problem with a Buzz California might be slightly deeper rooted. The 77kWh battery of the Buzz offers a range of around 250 miles. If you add the weight of a fit out (even if you're careful) you're going to probably knock 10% off the range. If you then factor in motorway speeds and cold weather you are probably going to end up with a winter range of around 180 miles before even considering the drain from fridge etc. Obviously, you will also lose the diesel heater, so I think you would end up with a fairly poor camper van experience and the platform won't allow much latitude in the fitting of a larger battery to compensate.

So, I suspect the most viable proposition will be to base the next California on the new Transit/Transporter platform.

I agree with Digger. I think that the future is Ford based. The Buzz is simply too small. Furthermore, to make an electric camper van will probably necessitate the fitting of 100kWa batteries which would probably make the battery and fit out elements too heavy for the car-based Buzz platform. The new Electric Transit probably points to the way ahead for those looking for an electric solution.

I’ve read the Cali Buzz with the extra length, will have a new Volkswagen 110kWa battery. Fingers crossed the Cali Buzz will look complete different to the current California. Let’s be honest, it’s getting a bit long in the tooth.
It’s time to move on and embrace the new technology that could be offered with this van.

The Buzz Cali could be a complete and utter game changer.
Fingers crossed…

Let’s hope !
hoping isn’t doing it for me