Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue - where are fellow T6 owners getting topped up

If you have a commercial vehicle motor factors near you (e.g. Dingbro or Fleet Factors) they will sell the 10L container to you as a cash sale. This comes with its own special nozzle sized tube. The ad blu tank is vented to atmosphere so it doesn't matter if some air goes in the tank along with the product Since euro 5 and recently 6 engines have been the norm in commercial vehicles over the past 10 years, selective catalytic reduction (SCR) i.e. the injection of ad blu into the exhaust system has been the main means to reduce harmful nitrogen oxides exiting a diesel engine's exhaust. In those 10 years I was horrified at the frequency of very expensive damage caused to fuel injection systems and ad blu dosing systems by 'drivers' managing to mis-fill ad blu tanks with diesel and vice versa. Be very careful filling up your ad blu and diesel tanks!
Retired fleet engineer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome, thanks for that!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

have a look at mailto:sales@distribution365.co.uk

use code. ADBLUE25 for 25% off

go to vehicle fluids section

I have filled up having bought the stuff on amazon - i checked it had the correct standards and it was a branded product. Filled up very easy the plastic can was supplied with a correctly speccd nozzel. I put in 10 lts as suggested by the gauge and it provided 5000 miles range - all seems to be fine down to 4000 miles now.

I have filled up having bought the stuff on amazon - i checked it had the correct standards and it was a branded product. Filled up very easy the plastic can was supplied with a correctly speccd nozzel. I put in 10 lts as suggested by the gauge and it provided 5000 miles range - all seems to be fine down to 4000 miles now.

Which one did you buy? I need to get some soon

When I picked up my Cali the dealer (eurovans) mentioned that I could buy adblue from them at £14 for 10 litres. I think that's reasonable and there shouldn't be any issues with the quality.

interesting to note that my first warning light on the T6 Beach came on at c2000 miles after a month - I topped it up (don't let it run over your drive as it oxidises and takes some washing off) and got myself 4500 miles more like other posts. However this must mean that the factory put as little in as they can to get the vehicle delivered - its like putting a £1 of fuel in or skimping on the engine oil - a proper fill would have been good on my £50K vehicle. My 4.0D X5 lasted 12000 miles before a top up needed, so I guess they put more in as standard - glad I didn't pay the BMW dealer top up costs though as its a fortune - best bought from the local garage.
I can confirm that if you ignore the warnings and run it low on AdBlu, the vehicle will not allow you to restart it (once youve stopped) to avoid additional pollution or clogging of the exhaust/cat conv system.

Update - I put in 10 ltrs of Adblue (bought from Amazon - might be dodgy supply according to Duncan) after 3500 miles - having driven another 3000 miles since top-up the computer is asking for more - 800 miles left. It wants another 10 litres. So by my reckoning a top up will last around 4000 miles which is far short of the 8000 that i was expecting.

What are others experience ?

How much did VW put in when purchased new ?

Where are you guys buying it from ?.

If my last fill was dodgy, does that account for faster consumption. Bearing in mind it is squirted into the exhaust system i cant see how that might be the case

We haven't filled up yet but I noticed it was £13.50 for 10 litres on a shell forecourt the other day for what I think was a shell branded product.
It strikes me that for the sake of possibly saving a couple of quid at best on an unknown internet product a few times a year it really isn't worth the hassle and risk. We'll be buying from a reputable source.
We were told to expect about 4000 miles from 10 litres by the dealer.
He also said that some filling stations have ad blue pumps but I haven't seen any yet. It will be interesting to see what they charge if I eventually find one, but I suspect they may only be for use by hgv's, supplying 50 litres in about 2 seconds flat!
Does anyone know if the nozzles for filling are standard diameter on all vehicles?

Used this site to find an adblue pump http://www.findadblue.com/ then used the HGV adblue pump at Wooley edge services this morning with no problems. It was 84.9p/ltr, the van was showing 1300 miles range with a max fill of 2.25 gal. It hit fill stop on the pump after 8.52 Ltrs (so max fill reading a bit out). Left ignition on for 30 secs as in instruction manual, display reset to 4000 mile range and min/max fill figures disappeared. After this experience I won't be faffing about buying a drum and filling with a funnel. :thumb

Used this site to find an adblue pump http://www.findadblue.com/ then used the HGV adblue pump at Wooley edge services this morning with no problems. It was 84.9p/ltr, the van was showing 1300 miles range with a max fill of 2.25 gal. It hit fill stop on the pump after 8.52 Ltrs (so max fill reading a bit out). Left ignition on for 30 secs as in instruction manual, display reset to 4000 mile range and min/max fill figures disappeared. After this experience I won't be faffing about buying a drum and filling with a funnel. :thumb
Thanks. Got one near me for the future and link in my contacts for the future

Forgot to mention I had to leave a payment method (£20 cash) with the cashier before I could use the pump. Not sure this is all stations or just for the HGV pumps?

Are these pumps in the HGV areas only and are they stand alone or a particular colour?? It won't be too long before I will need AdBlue if the new Cali is not full at delivery. :(

Are these pumps in the HGV areas only and are they stand alone or a particular colour?? It won't be too long before I will need AdBlue if the new Cali is not full at delivery. :(
I'm that sad I took a pic. Should answer your Q's

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Many thanks for the photos, I now know what they look like. As I don't recall seeing them before, I assume they are located in the HGV area, not a place I have been to.

You may be sad but informative! :thumb

Many thanks for the photos, I now know what they look like. As I don't recall seeing them before, I assume they are located in the HGV area, not a place I have been to.

You may be sad but informative! :thumb
Yes El Greco this was in the HGV section but I can see these coming on to the main forecourt anytime soon when demand increases. It really was easy, I just parked up next to where the air lines, vac etc were and went in and asked if I could use the HGV adblue pump to fill up the van, to which the cashier said yes go ahead but I need a payment method first. Then it's just like a normal fill up ie pump design, connection, fill speed etc. Then went in and he gave me the change from the £20 I left with him. If anything it was leaving payment with him before use that I found odd!

Pre payment is normal on hgv pumps. Can cost them a lot if someone does not pay. 500 littes is not unusual.
How much adblue you use is dependant on how hard engine is working, or at least thats how it works on trucks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Even though I read this thread I foolishly purchased a 1.5 L container as that was all the petrol station had. Ouch £7.50.

Feeling daft I then searched for Adblue outlets. As Dave mentioned earlier in the thread, Shell Garage by VW Lancs sells it,£0.59 per litre. I don't think I'll be buying in any form of container again. I think I can manage a return visit in the next 5k miles.

We don't need AdBlue for our 2013 Cali but I have just filled up the School minibus - Ford Transit. Got 10L from the local BP garage which came with a filler tube, cost £14.96 and easy to do. Actually took 14.5L to fill the minibus up enough to get the warning light off - initially tried the 1.5L bottles the garage sells :headbang

We don't need AdBlue for our 2013 Cali but I have just filled up the School minibus - Ford Transit. Got 10L from the local BP garage which came with a filler tube, cost £14.96 and easy to do. Actually took 14.5L to fill the minibus up enough to get the warning light off - initially tried the 1.5L bottles the garage sells :headbang
£5.90 for 10 litres seemed a decent deal. :)

If you do get very low (second warning) then keep your engine running as the lock down only happens when you stop and restart aparently. At least that is a chance to get some local expensive 1l bottle in there and get out of trouble.

If you do get very low (second warning) then keep your engine running as the lock down only happens when you stop and restart aparently. At least that is a chance to get some local expensive 1l bottle in there and get out of trouble.
Good to know and as a reminder

http://findadblue.mobi/

I've stuck it in my contacts

Mike

£5.90 for 10 litres seemed a decent deal. :)
Just filled up my adblue at shell. Felt a little small alongside the HGV's! Half price of containers from Internet though! Beautiful!

Last edited:
Back