Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue - where are fellow T6 owners getting topped up

£5.90 for 10 litres seemed a decent deal. :)

The 10L cost £14.96; 1.5L was £6.50 - used 3 of those before buying the 10L and it took all of them. Thank goodness it's the work vehicle and not mine.

The Shell station was good just filled up at pump and walked across and paid. I checked with the cashier beforehand where everything was and when I went back in he was surprised how little I put in, I think the HGV's take a bit more than 9 litres! With the 5000 mile range it should be a simple task to call in every couple of months for a cheap top up.

The Shell station was good just filled up at pump and walked across and paid. I checked with the cashier beforehand where everything was and when I went back in he was surprised how little I put in, I think the HGV's take a bit more than 9 litres! With the 5000 mile range it should be a simple task to call in every couple of months for a cheap top up.
A farmer friend has just got a new Case Quadtrc 580 tractor, the adblue tank on that is 322 litres ! Mind you the diesel tank takes 1880 litres. Needles to say he doesn't buy adblue in 5 L bottles from Amazon.

Might have got myself in a mess over Ad Blu. Didn't realise that not all petrol stations sell it. Several petrol stations on the west coast of Scotland have never even heard of it! I'm now in Edinburgh with a range of 400 miles. The only source I've found here so far is a petrol station that only sells 1.5l bottles for £9.99 !!!!!!!!!! (Is that a record). Since it wants upto 3 gallons that would cost £90...............

How far is it safe to drive? It's 350 miles home on Sunday. Can I risk that or am I likely to end up stranded? Will the engine refuse to restart at some point before the 400 mile range?

Can anyone clarify what the warnings are? I have a yellow symbol showing in the mfd. I think it has flashed up one full warning. When will I get the second one that is referred to above?

Are these any issues with just putting in a small amount to get me home and then filling up properly? Or there seems to be a pump at Southwaites services which is 150 miles away. Would that be too risky?

Might have got myself in a mess over Ad Blu. Didn't realise that not all petrol stations sell it. Several petrol stations on the west coast of Scotland have never even heard of it! I'm now in Edinburgh with a range of 400 miles. The only source I've found here so far is a petrol station that only sells 1.5l bottles for £9.99 !!!!!!!!!! (Is that a record). Since it wants upto 3 gallons that would cost £90...............

How far is it safe to drive? It's 350 miles home on Sunday. Can I risk that or am I likely to end up stranded? Will the engine refuse to restart at some point before the 400 mile range?

Can anyone clarify what the warnings are? I have a yellow symbol showing in the mfd. I think it has flashed up one full warning. When will I get the second one that is referred to above?

Are these any issues with just putting in a small amount to get me home and then filling up properly? Or there seems to be a pump at Southwaites services which is 150 miles away. Would that be too risky?
The pump 150 miles away would be fine I reckon but I'd rather just order some from Amazon or something. Slightly more expensive than pump but not the 1.5 litres for 9.99! I think it was 10l for £15ish last time I checked.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM

Any VW car dealer can fill this for you as all the new cars have it as well.

• Thanks
Moral of this tale-make sure it's topped up before you set off on a trip-and always carry a couple of litres stashed somewhere in the Cali.

Not being critical of you in any way but a lesson for us all:thumb

• Thanks

Here is a list of VW dealerships near Edinburgh, they should all sell 1ltr and 10ltr bottles of Adblue, not the cheapest but each 1ltr bottle will give approx 500miles of adblue usage
upload_2016-8-11_12-40-27.png

• Thanks
Appreciate it's from VW retail website and not commercial but they state they'll top up your Adblue for you (£1.50 per litre) as part of their service promise. As Loz said it might be worth trying them for ease if local.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/service-promise

upload_2016-8-11_13-42-57.png

• Thanks
Thanks all. A little bit more searching found a petrol station selling 10l for £12.99. A bit more acceptable.

As Snowy says the moral is to make sure I have enough for my whole trip before leaving home - lesson learned :) .

Adblue ----in practice
  • where do you add it
  • how long before top up
  • how much per mile does it add to running costs (from 1st post looks like not too much)
  • what happen's if it runs out

• Read manual
  • Read manual
  • Read manual
  • Read manual

;-)

• Read manual
  • Read manual
  • Read manual
  • Read manual

Many thanks I have read my manual and being a happy T5 owner and not a T6 owner wondered what Adblue involved others answered and were most helpful unlike your reply

Appreciate it's from VW retail website and not commercial but they state they'll top up your Adblue for you (£1.50 per litre) as part of their service promise. As Loz said it might be worth trying them for ease if local.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/service-promise

View attachment 15740
Does this apply to VW commercial dealerships aswell?
Only a few weeks ago I was quoted £18 plus the cost of the adblue by a VW commercial dealer, while some VW car dealers offer to refill for the cost of the adblue only

Many thanks I have read my manual and being a happy T5 owner and not a T6 owner wondered what Adblue involved others answered and were most helpful unlike your reply

Accept my apologies … I was not aware that you did not own a T6. Then I would not have made fun of your questions. But some, tend to ask before they read the manual · therefore I just found it fun to poke – with a smiley ;-)

Accept my apologies … I was not aware that you did not own a T6. Then I would not have made fun of your questions. But some, tend to ask before they read the manual · therefore I just found it fun to poke – with a smiley ;-)
acepted

Just a quick note to say vw will sell you 10l for about £10. Easy and quality will be fine.

I have filled up Adblue 5 times - it averages around 4000 miles per fill. The cost seems to be around £12 for 10 litres. I did consider larger quantities, but the tank holds 10 lts so it would mean storing it in the garage - not pleasant stuff. Last fill was in Italy and was available at larger petrol stations. In the UK i tend to buy from Shell petrol station when getting low - seems good value. Its worth keeping a funnel in the van as some of the containers dont include one. You should wash the funnel after use as when it drys it goes crispy and you dont want bits of crispy pig pee in your tank.

I have filled up Adblue 5 times - it averages around 4000 miles per fill. The cost seems to be around £12 for 10 litres. I did consider larger quantities, but the tank holds 10 lts so it would mean storing it in the garage - not pleasant stuff. Last fill was in Italy and was available at larger petrol stations. In the UK i tend to buy from Shell petrol station when getting low - seems good value. Its worth keeping a funnel in the van as some of the containers dont include one. You should wash the funnel after use as when it drys it goes crispy and you dont want bits of crispy pig pee in your tank.
Through the find adblue link on this thread I found a local company with an adblue pump "Thompsons commercial" if I remember correctly. They have a pump and charge 46p per litre plus VAT. I will do my best to avoid the need to buy more expensive bottled adblue.

Through the find adblue link on this thread I found a local company with an adblue pump "Thompsons commercial" if I remember correctly. They have a pump and charge 46p per litre plus VAT. I will do my best to avoid the need to buy more expensive bottled adblue.
wow - thats def the way to go

Got 10 gallons from halfords when on special. Also got an adapter from VW to attach to bottle.

Wife arranged for the Adblue to be topped up at local VW commercial (VW retail wouldn't do it). The VW Van Centre in Canterbury advised £70 :mad: but JCB Ashford (near to wife's work) was £26 (10 litres). They told her just to pop in and they'd do it straight away.. which they did and all sorted in under 15 mins. :thumb

A bit more expensive but for ease/convenience probably reasonable. (Invoice just showed the price of the Adblue no labour charge added)

Wife arranged for the Adblue to be topped up at local VW commercial (VW retail wouldn't do it). The VW Van Centre in Canterbury advised £70 :mad: but JCB Ashford (near to wife's work) was £26 (10 litres). They told her just to pop in and they'd do it straight away.. which they did and all sorted in under 15 mins. :thumb

A bit more expensive but for ease/convenience probably reasonable. (Invoice just showed the price of the Adblue no labour charge added)
But adblu is about £6.50 for 10 litres at a petrol station and it's no harder than filling up your diesel.
How much would it have been if they'd charged labour!?
Just search for your nearest adblu pump and save yourself £20 each time.

Wife couldn't find one or with Google search - will use when they appear close to us.

Got 10 gallons from halfords when on special. Also got an adapter from VW to attach to bottle.

I have been looking for a adapter (screw-on and push), so I would be happy to hear more about what you bought. I Bought a 10 L canister, and a 2 liter refill with the adapter on it. With the small bottle I can top up, without spilling (screw-on and push), but it is a hazel. It would be nice to have a similar adapter for the 10 L canister.

I was told to handle AdBlue with care, it is not very healthy and will damage the paintwork if spilled … any one heard of that? Two days ago they told on the radio it was similar to urin … really strange stuff ;-)

img_20160205_110053267_hdr.jpg

Back