Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue - where are fellow T6 owners getting topped up

Yep! Hopefully the demand and supply will kick in with the amount of Cali's hitting the road

Mike

Hi - my adblue tank is needing topping up and wondered where fellow owners are getting topped up. I have just ordered 20 litres via Amazon for £28.00 - which i calculate will last around 12000 miles. It all seems the same kit, but the price varies quite a bit. Its all new to me so wondered what everyone else is doing - i assume in time we will be able to top up at the petrol station
As you will now know it is available from most Fuel Stations now. White plastic cans that have a filling flexi pipe attached, looks like a can of water. Be careful as it is very corrosive so wash any spill off. Euro 5 Trucks have had it for a few years now and is injected into the exhaust to clean out the soot. More bits to go wrong. Trucks go into 'limp' mode if Adblue tank empty, to stop emission system not being used, but I haven't seen if VW's do that as well.

Contact your local Scania dealer. Mine in Poole charges around £7+vat for 10l. My local Mercedes truck dealership charges £12.50+vat for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you will now know it is available from most Fuel Stations now. White plastic cans that have a filling flexi pipe attached, looks like a can of water. Be careful as it is very corrosive so wash any spill off. Euro 5 Trucks have had it for a few years now and is injected into the exhaust to clean out the soot. More bits to go wrong. Trucks go into 'limp' mode if Adblue tank empty, to stop emission system not being used, but I haven't seen if VW's do that as well.
Something similar, VW's will not re-start if Adblue level drops below a certain minimum level and I'm not sure but you may not be able to restart despite filling the Adblue tank without being hooked upto the VAG computer system. Maybe a T6 owner can advise if this is the case.

I've just filled mine up at the new Gloucester services on the M5. Both north and southbound have pumps at the HGV end of the fuel station. 11.96 litres + 69p/l. Van was reporting 500 miles before I ran out.
Works just like a fuel pump, stops when full, so no spillage.

Last edited:
Something similar, VW's will not re-start if Adblue level drops below a certain minimum level and I'm not sure but you may not be able to restart despite filling the Adblue tank without being hooked upto the VAG computer system. Maybe a T6 owner can advise if this is the case.
I have an Audi Q3 company car which recently ran out of ad blue - I saw all the warnings but thought I had enough to get home and be able to restart the following morning. Unfortunately it ran out of ad blue 1 mile from home and the ad blue 'no start until re-fill' warning went red. Never-the-less I naively didn't expect it not to start the following morning :) but it of course wouldn't. I read the manual at this point and apparently it won't start without a refill of at least 5.7 litres so I then had to bob off to get some. I live in the sticks and as expected our nearest garage in Settle, 6 miles away, didn't stock ad blue. Neither did the next nearest garage 20 miles away in Skipton. I knew that there was a VW dealership half way to Keighley so I waited for them to open and bought a 10 litre jerry can of ad blue and added it myself (with difficulty as the valve contraption that came with the jerry can wasn't working correctly).

The moral of the story is a) don't run out and b) get a spare jerry can of ad blue.

You should be able to pop into any VW (or Audi) dealership and get it topped up for you though and they'll most as likely do it while you wait

I have an Audi Q3 company car which recently ran out of ad blue - I saw all the warnings but thought I had enough to get home and be able to restart the following morning. Unfortunately it ran out of ad blue 1 mile from home and the ad blue 'no start until re-fill' warning went red. Never-the-less I naively didn't expect it not to start the following morning :) but it of course wouldn't. I read the manual at this point and apparently it won't start without a refill of at least 5.7 litres so I then had to bob off to get some. I live in the sticks and as expected our nearest garage in Settle, 6 miles away, didn't stock ad blue. Neither did the next nearest garage 20 miles away in Skipton. I knew that there was a VW dealership half way to Keighley so I waited for them to open and bought a 10 litre jerry can of ad blue and added it myself (with difficulty as the valve contraption that came with the jerry can wasn't working correctly).

The moral of the story is a) don't run out and b) get a spare jerry can of ad blue.

You should be able to pop into any VW (or Audi) dealership and get it topped up for you though and they'll most as likely do it while you wait

Not a bad deal at euro carparts at the moment. 10L container of Greenchem Adblue £13.99 with a 30% discount to the end of September brings the price down to £9.79 with free delivery. You just need to add voucher code "Sale30" at the checkout. The same 10L Adblue at Halfords is £20.
Not as cheap as buying it per litre from a pump, but bought one to leave in the garage as you always seem to get the notification at the most inconvenient time and there are no garages with Adblue pumps local to us. Free delivery also wins it for me, as I don't have to waste my time driving around trying to find some..

I've just filled mine up at the new Gloucester services on the M5. Both north and southbound have pumps at the HGV end of the fuel station. 11.96 litres + 69p/l. Van was reporting 500 miles before I ran out.
Good tip thanks

The filler is below the diesel filler.
4500 miles which is displayed on the MFD and seems to drop in 500 mile increments.
It also tells you what the max and min you can fill it up, although both reading the same at the mo, will see if these alter with use.

Not sure I have 3500 left so haven't given it much though until this post.
It stops working and has to be taken to a garage to have its software reset and a refill. But it does put at least 2 warnings up before this happens according to the dealer. Pic of warning light info.
b5be0e1c8226e66ad67193e2baca636c.jpg

(Off to have a look to see where best to get it from).

I see something interesting on this page from the manual. '...and text messages...'
Is there some way in which your T6 will send reminders via text to your phone? This could be very useful (or annoying if you don't like tech).

I hope you didn't buy any diesel it's 1.27/L at Gloucester that would have wiped out your saving :)

I filled up at a regular truck fuel station. It was more or less the same procedure as filling up with diesel, but the price was less than half per liter.

I see something interesting on this page from the manual. '...and text messages...'
Is there some way in which your T6 will send reminders via text to your phone? This could be very useful (or annoying if you don't like tech).
Hi old Sid, not 100% but think it means 'text message' as in the text displayed on your MFD and not as in SMS.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Just out of interest what happens if you don't fill it up? Does the van throw a wobbly and stop or what?

I hope you didn't buy any diesel it's 1.27/L at Gloucester that would have wiped out your saving :)
I filled up the adBlue then drove to my local fuel station to get the diesel!

Definitely, the engine would not start anymore!

I drove my 6month old Merc to the dealer to get the adblue topped up when the warning light came on. I had to wait around 1.1/2 hours while they topped it up, did a health check video and washed the car...few! Do it yourself if you can.

I bought some from the local car parts store the other day and the man behind the counter informed me that every time you refuel the vehicle more adblue is injected into where ever it goes (exhaust system????). By that he means if you put in 5 x £10 worth of diesel in the tank you are using 5 times as much as if you put in 1 x £50 worth of diesel in. How true this is i don't know, but it might be something worth monitoring.

It also has a shelf life so don't be tempted to bulk buy......like i did.

I bought some from the local car parts store the other day and the man behind the counter informed me that every time you refuel the vehicle more adblue is injected into where ever it goes (exhaust system????). By that he means if you put in 5 x £10 worth of diesel in the tank you are using 5 times as much as if you put in 1 x £50 worth of diesel in. How true this is i don't know, but it might be something worth monitoring.
He is talking Bo***x

He is talking Bo***x

To be truthful i thought as much. Otherwise you would only see the gauge go down every time you refueled the van, but i wasn't 100% sure.
But just for my own piece of mind could you / would you please state why you feel this is the case.

To be truthful i thought as much. Otherwise you would only see the gauge go down every time you refueled the van, but i wasn't 100% sure.
But just for my own piece of mind could you / would you please state why you feel this is the case.
Its a metered system based on the amount the engine is driven. This video gives a good overview, the layout is different but the method is the same.

Back