Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adding the 3M tape to roof edges

Loz

Loz

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I checked my roof last summer at 1 year old and all was good.
Earlier this year I ordered the 3M protection tape to do the edges myself before the corrosion starts but today was the first Hot day I got to fit the tape.

So I removed the side and rear parts of the roof seal and used some detailer to wipe off the build up of dirt.
IMG_0373.jpg

After cleaning I examined the area along the edges and found 2 issues, 1 where the soft paint was crimped when the seal was first applied;
IMG_0374.jpg
And the second is a paint bubble right at the front. (Sorry, the photo is not in focus as I couldn't see in the bright sunlight)
IMG_0375.jpg

I then cleaned it all up with Isopropanol and applied the tape.
IMG_0378.jpg
Folded the bottom up inside.
IMG_0379.jpg

Sprayed the seal and tape with silicone spray and refitted the seal.
IMG_0380.jpg

Job done in 1 hour.
I was disappointed to see the bubble at the front that was not there when I first checked, hopefully being sealed no more moisture will get in and make it any worse.

Earlier this year I ordered the 3M protection tape to do the edges myself before the corrosion starts but today was the first Hot day I got to fit the tape.

So I removed the side and rear parts of the roof seal and used some detailer to wipe off the build up of dirt.
View attachment 33192

After cleaning I examined the area along the edges and found 2 issues, 1 where the soft paint was crimped when the seal was first applied;
View attachment 33191
And the second is a paint bubble right at the front. (Sorry, the photo is not in focus as I couldn't see in the bright sunlight)
View attachment 33190

I then cleaned it all up with Isopropanol and applied the tape.
View attachment 33189
Folded the bottom up inside.
View attachment 33193

Sprayed the seal and tape with silicone spray and refitted the seal.
View attachment 33194

Job done in 1 hour.
I was disappointed to see the bubble at the front that was not there when I first checked, hopefully being sealed no more moisture will get in and make it any worse.

I can remember a comment in the main thread on this issue which stated that a suspect contributing factor to the paint bubbling issue was the rubber seal being applied and crimped before the paint had fully cured and the marks which you describe as "where the soft paint was crimped" appears to be evidence of this.

I am tempted to do this as well, is the radius on the roof corners large enough to avoid the tape crinkling when applying across the curvature?

I can remember a comment in the main thread on this issue which stated that a suspect contributing factor to the paint bubbling issue was the rubber seal being applied and crimped before the paint had fully cured and the marks which you describe as "where the soft paint was crimped" appears to be evidence of this.

I am tempted to do this as well, is the radius on the roof corners large enough to avoid the tape crinkling when applying across the curvature?
very hot today and the tape just stretches around the radius.

I have purchased/used 2 rolls but there is 400mm gap still to do on the rear section so 3 needed. Yes, that viking link..

Thanks Loz. I’ll order some in and give it a go.

Mike

Job done in 1 hour.
Looks a good job. Agree about the seal and no more moisture. Fingers crossed and a couple of "Thank you Fathers"! :thumb

• Agree
Reactions: Ted
Good write up Loz. Thanks for that :thumb. From the photo of the bubble, there doesn't seem to be any paint damage that would've caused it. As in damage from the metal retainer in the seal, which would then contact the aluminium. Did you notice any or does it seem that the corrosion is really from under the paint?

Good write up Loz. Thanks for that :thumb. From the photo of the bubble, there doesn't seem to be any paint damage that would've caused it. As in damage from the metal retainer in the seal, which would then contact the aluminium. Did you notice any or does it seem that the corrosion is really from under the paint?
What I might do tomorrow is take a better photo of it with Mrs Loz’s proper camer with macro. Its 30MP so should zoom in enough for a good look.

The way i understood the roof corrosion issue (years ago) was that
the corrosion came from the inside out.
If that is the case, then the tape won´t help, or will it ?

That´s a tidy job you did there Loz and i´m tempted to do
the same.
Different corrosion area. Older problem was on lower roof edge whereas this is on the elevating roof and due to the rubber outer seal having metal interior grippers that cut through the paint . Tape helps protect the paint from any gripper damage. Factory fit from Dec 2016.

Loz
What year is your van...?
This is disappointing to see if it’s a T6.

October 2016 T6

So Volkswagen still haven’t fully fixed RC issues :headbang

I hope your fix works.
Might be worth opening a case with regards to the bubble. Although now you have fitted the 3m tape, will they argue warranty void...?
Personally, I think it’s a good simple idea.

So Volkswagen still haven’t fully fixed RC issues :headbang
I think they have fixed the panel above the windscreen on MY17 (ours) but the construction of the roof remained the same until the tape was added to production December 2016.
I hope your fix works.
Might be worth opening a case with regards to the bubble. Although now you have fitted the 3m tape, will they argue warranty void...?
Can also be removed ;):thumb

the paint has not fully covered

It might be a good idea to treat that bottom edge with something before putting the tape on. Maybe alodine first with a thin coat of aluminium boat bottom paint over it. If any moisture manages to find it's way under the tape, condensation etc, the tape could actually make the problem worse. I'll pull the seal off of mine this weekend to see if that edge is coated. I'm also curious to see what kind of a tape job the guys at the factory do, I doubt they take the care that you did @Loz.

Edit for typo

Last edited:
It might be a good idea to treat that bottom edge with something before putting the tape on. Maybe alodine first with a thin coat of aluminium boat bottom paint over it. If any moisture manages to find it's way under the tape, condensation etc, the tape could actually make the problem worse.

I was thinking the same, ...
<thinks out loud> do I really want to start the warranty roof repair saga? take too long, they mess it up, have to do the whole area? bugger-up the bellows? or maybe I just treat the locals myself and maybe in the long term it will be better?

Last edited:
I think they have fixed the panel above the windscreen on MY17 (ours) but the construction of the roof remained the same until the tape was added to production December 2016.
Front panel mod was sorted in the last of the T5's around 2014/15

Front panel mod was sorted in the last of the T5's around 2014/15
Not quite- mine is May’15 and it had to have the dreaded “cap” repair last November because of corrosion to the front panel. VWCS said that this was the only T5 of that age where the problem has recurred.

I was thinking the same, ...
<thinks out loud> do I really want to start the warranty roof repair saga? take too long, they mess it up, have to do the whole area? bugger-up the bellows? or maybe I just treat the locals myself and maybe in the long term it will be better?

It will have to be really bad before I would start a warranty claim. Prevention is a much more attractive option for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite- mine is May’15 and it had to have the dreaded “cap” repair last November because of corrosion to the front panel. VWCS said that this was the only T5 of that age where the problem has recurred.
Shame, looks like one got through the net. As far as I know it is the same mod on the late T5's and T6's to the front panel. Obviously not 100% successful but looks like it has had a huge impact on front panel corrosion. Hope yours is sorted for good now.

Game on … just ordered the tape ;-)