Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ascot Grey

Yes it does look very smart just not sure Id want to pay the almost £3k for 2 tone option.
Does seem somewhat outrageous when the Ascot is "no cost" and the Candy White is £300, that a combination of the two comes in at circa £3k eh?

Does seem somewhat outrageous when the Ascot is "no cost" and the Candy White is £300, that a combination of the two comes in at circa £3k eh?
Hi Stuart - how are you getting on with your research!? It looks like my Coast wont be built prior to the import duty in which case I will pull the plug & wait it out!

That video clearly shows Ascot Grey is certainly Grey when put next to white, rather than the cream colour it looks in isolation in the photos we’ve seen.

Hi Stuart - how are you getting on with your research!? It looks like my Coast wont be built prior to the import duty in which case I will pull the plug & wait it out!
Hi Jenny, its fair to say that I am still faffing ! Spent a few hours at SMG on Saturday, where I was able to see a few Coasts in different colours (only externally as they orders that were awaiting collection). Most looked to be have been spec'ed fairly lightly, but all had opted for the privacy glass, which made all the difference to the overall aesthetic in my opinion. Shame that none of them had the flooring upgrade, as I would really liked to have seen that in the flesh. The 2 tone Ocean that Martin had in the showroom was gorgeous. It had the flooring upgrade which looked stunning, but obviously in Ocean "slate" rather than Coast "oak". So research takeaways included..........a few colours that I could certainly rule out. I was able to see the bellows upgrade open, and concluded that would go on the list, along with the privacy glass, for sure. And I was able to see the new Ocean that is due to replace the 2 tone in the showroom, that was Ascot and was really taken with it. Martin advises that prices were probably due to rise again 1st Nov, as that is the norm apparently. Suggested that an order today would be looking at March delivery and that we could pull the order at no cost, should the import duty add costs that we hadn't signed up for.

Hi Jenny, its fair to say that I am still faffing ! Spent a few hours at SMG on Saturday, where I was able to see a few Coasts in different colours (only externally as they orders that were awaiting collection). Most looked to be have been spec'ed fairly lightly, but all had opted for the privacy glass, which made all the difference to the overall aesthetic in my opinion. Shame that none of them had the flooring upgrade, as I would really liked to have seen that in the flesh. The 2 tone Ocean that Martin had in the showroom was gorgeous. It had the flooring upgrade which looked stunning, but obviously in Ocean "slate" rather than Coast "oak". So research takeaways included..........a few colours that I could certainly rule out. I was able to see the bellows upgrade open, and concluded that would go on the list, along with the privacy glass, for sure. And I was able to see the new Ocean that is due to replace the 2 tone in the showroom, that was Ascot and was really taken with it. Martin advises that prices were probably due to rise again 1st Nov, as that is the norm apparently. Suggested that an order today would be looking at March delivery and that we could pull the order at no cost, should the import duty add costs that we hadn't signed up for.
Haha Im sure you'll get there in the end Stuart but its a huge amount of money so need to be as sure as you can be - sounds like a fun Saturday was spent at SMG - yes Ive specd the open bellows, privacy, & floor, in Mojave, but was tempted by Ascot 2 tone but not the price! - cant believe another price increase! I check out the 2nd hand ones on autotrader & they seem to be heading down - whats your plan now?

Haha Im sure you'll get there in the end Stuart but its a huge amount of money so need to be as sure as you can be - sounds like a fun Saturday was spent at SMG - yes Ive specd the open bellows, privacy, & floor, in Mojave, but was tempted by Ascot 2 tone but not the price! - cant believe another price increase! I check out the 2nd hand ones on autotrader & they seem to be heading down - whats your plan now?
I'm just trying to get a handle on the total cost of ownership. Confused totally by the new RDE updates - I understand that the 199 moves back to 204 and that isn't an issue for Coast orders, but see that the 150 has 2 options too. Does that have implications on the road tax? Spoke extended warranties with Martin too, as I understand the 80K miles / 2 year extension is about £300 and something +VAT, which seems like a "no-brainer" . Completely forgot to ask about servicing costs and / or maintenance plans. So will drop him an email to ask. I know there will be folk reading this, that will be asking what the fuss is all about, but its a huuuuuuuuge investment for us, so I need to be fully informed before I will be brave enough to pull the trigger.

I'm just trying to get a handle on the total cost of ownership. Confused totally by the new RDE updates - I understand that the 199 moves back to 204 and that isn't an issue for Coast orders, but see that the 150 has 2 options too. Does that have implications on the road tax? Spoke extended warranties with Martin too, as I understand the 80K miles / 2 year extension is about £300 and something +VAT, which seems like a "no-brainer" . Completely forgot to ask about servicing costs and / or maintenance plans. So will drop him an email to ask. I know there will be folk reading this, that will be asking what the fuss is all about, but its a huuuuuuuuge investment for us, so I need to be fully informed before I will be brave enough to pull the trigger.
I know Im totally confused by it all but guess that's where the whole world sits at the moment!!!!
I am going to be using mine as my main vehicle so not too worried about ongoing costs & have a trade friend to help keep costs down but was definitely taking up the extended warranty option.
Cant remember if you hired one previously or not, as thats always a great help with decisions of which there are far too many but I find that as with most things there is far too much choice!!

I know Im totally confused by it all but guess that's where the whole world sits at the moment!!!!
I am going to be using mine as my main vehicle so not too worried about ongoing costs & have a trade friend to help keep costs down but was definitely taking up the extended warranty option.
Cant remember if you hired one previously or not, as thats always a great help with decisions of which there are far too many but I find that as with most things there is far too much choice!!
I see on another thread that you cancelled the Climatronic upgrade after making the order. (It's not something that I was considering, due to cost). Did you add / remove anything else?

I see on another thread that you cancelled the Climatronic upgrade after making the order. (It's not something that I was considering, due to cost). Did you add / remove anything else?
No that was my only alteration

No difference on road tax (it’s £265+£325=£590 for either engine) as a Private/light goods vehicle worth more than £40,000 I think. The 204 is in a higher insurance group though

No difference on road tax (it’s £265+£325=£590 for either engine) as a Private/light goods vehicle worth more than £40,000 I think. The 204 is in a higher insurance group though
Thank you for that. Could I ask for some expansion on the Tax explanation. "£265+£325=£590". So that's £590 per every year? Or does that change after a few years? I recall reading that classification changed a short while back?

No you only pay (as at today, that is) £270 pa as a PLG. There is no £325 additional charge applicable (that only applies to cars, not PLGs).

It will however be interesting to see if VW UK revert to registering Calis as MPVs from 1st Jan rather than Motor Caravans, especially as they'll all be RDE2 compliant (I imagine there must be some incentive for them somewhere and I can't find anything to suggest PLGs needed to be compliant from 1/1 anyway).

No you only pay (as at today, that is) £270 pa as a PLG. There is no £325 additional charge applicable (that only applies to cars, not PLGs).

It will however be interesting to see if VW UK revert to registering Calis as MPVs from 1st Jan rather than Motor Caravans, especially as they'll all be RDE2 compliant (I imagine there must be some incentive for them somewhere and I can't find anything to suggest PLGs needed to be compliant from 1/1 anyway).
I cant see why VW would want to go back to registering as MPV they only did it for about a year. The first years VED as an MPV is a big chunk extra & would have to be added to the on the road costs so pushing the customer cost up with none of the extra going to VW.

Is yours a 2 tone? looks fab
No, it's just Ascot Grey all over. Like many people we did agonise over the colour. The two tone ones look nice but couldn't really justify the money. In the end we went with Ascot Grey without seeing one in the flesh. We bought it from SMG in Tonbridge and Laine Watts couldn't have been more helpful. He liked it personally and thought it would be a good colour if we ever decide to sell it in the future. He could have easily tried to up-sell the two tone and made some extra money. We went for the Palmerston alloy wheels which I think go well with the colour but are a bit of a pain to clean! We are really pleased with it and would recommend the colour and Laine at SMG without any hesitation.

No, it's just Ascot Grey all over. Like many people we did agonise over the colour. The two tone ones look nice but couldn't really justify the money. In the end we went with Ascot Grey without seeing one in the flesh. We bought it from SMG in Tonbridge and Laine Watts couldn't have been more helpful. He liked it personally and thought it would be a good colour if we ever decide to sell it in the future. He could have easily tried to up-sell the two tone and made some extra money. We went for the Palmerston alloy wheels which I think go well with the colour but are a bit of a pain to clean! We are really pleased with it and would recommend the colour and Laine at SMG without any hesitation.
That was very brave of you but looks great - Ive ordered from SMG Martin 2 weeks ago but am really dithering now about changing colour but not sure if thats allowed!!

That was very brave of you but looks great - Ive ordered from SMG Martin 2 weeks ago but am really dithering now about changing colour but not sure if thats allowed!!
You should be able to change if it's not been locked down for production yet.

If you are thinking about Ascot Grey and you want any more photographs juts let me know. It does change colour depending how the light is which I quite like.

If you are thinking about Ascot Grey and you want any more photographs juts let me know. It does change colour depending how the light is which I quite like.
[/QUOTE]
Very grateful if you can post some more phots pse; not many around. I’m trying to persuade Mrs KB that there’s more to life than Indium Grey for a third time!!

Very grateful if you can post some more phots pse; not many around. I’m trying to persuade Mrs KB that there’s more to life than Indium Grey for a third time!!
[/QUOTE]
Hope these help!IMG_1500.jpegIMG_1501.jpegIMG_1502.jpegIMG_1503.jpeg396EF745-14A5-4725-B5E7-9FE2EB08F9C0.jpegIMG_1524.jpegIMG_1535.jpegIMG_1618.jpeg

We saw a Danbury conversion in this colour last month, looked great and would defiantly be at the top of the list if we changed!

I cant see why VW would want to go back to registering as MPV they only did it for about a year. The first years VED as an MPV is a big chunk extra & would have to be added to the on the road costs so pushing the customer cost up with none of the extra going to VW.
Hang on, I’ve got a 2019 30th edition 199 4 motion and pay the extra so £590 per year (£1830 For the first year tax!!) So that’s now changed?

Hang on, I’ve got a 2019 30th edition 199 4 motion and pay the extra so £590 per year (£1830 For the first year tax!!) So that’s now changed?
Yep. Back to being registered as motor caravan rather than MPV