Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AT tyres for 4Motion

bvddobb

bvddobb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
On our 16 inch Cali, the largest we can have is 225/70/16, otherwise the speedometer will start to give too low readings, and that is not allowed over here. Also, we feel, with this size already we would prefer a lower gear, going larger will put too much strain on the gear box in the terrain.
The BFG’s in our size have too low a load index for us (we want 103 as a minimum), therefore we never used them.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
bvddobb

bvddobb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
I did not use a different spare than the Standard one we had. Never had a to use a spare in 5 years of california.. Including 3k km in iceland
Lucky you! We also never needed it before, until this year in the Pyrenees, when we didn’t have it with us... :headbang

zeratul

zeratul

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
I always have the original space wheel with me. It's a 17 inch as well on steel alloy. Because we have not changed the tyre size, it would be possible to escape from most situations with mixed tyre types until the next garage. In iceland on some F-roads it could have been a little harder but still not impossible. Looking forward to go back there perhaps as early as next year.

bvddobb

bvddobb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
I always have the original space wheel with me. It's a 17 inch as well on steel alloy. Because we have not changed the tyre size, it would be possible to escape from most situations with mixed tyre types until the next garage. In iceland on some F-roads it could have been a little harder but still not impossible. Looking forward to go back there perhaps as early as next year.
I meant the sixth, separate/additional loose spare tyre. Of course we had the spare wheel, but once that was mounted and it turned out the wrecked tyre couldn't be repaired or replaced, we had no spare anymore. We felt that without a spare shouldn't do any more pistes or off road tracks for the rest of the trip (question even if it is legal or not to drive around without a spare ore repair kit...), and there was just one more we really had wanted to do. So, that was a real shame and therefore we decided to always have a 6th loose tyre with us on future longer off road trips , even if this was the first instance in many years we needed one.

Wesel

Wesel

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
I meant the sixth, separate/additional loose spare tyre. Of course we had the spare wheel, but once that was mounted and it turned out the wrecked tyre couldn't be repaired or replaced, we had no spare anymore. We felt that without a spare shouldn't do any more pistes or off road tracks for the rest of the trip (question even if it is legal or not to drive around without a spare ore repair kit...), and there was just one more we really had wanted to do. So, that was a real shame and therefore we decided to always have a 6th loose tyre with us on future longer off road trips , even if this was the first instance in many years we needed one.
Do you protect this tire from being filled with mud and gravel by being stored under the car?

Our Partners