Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter tyre choice - T6 Ocean 4motion - Switzerland

I know VW say you can’t use chains with the 235/55R17 but there are traction devices from Thule, Spikes Spider and Polaire that may fit as they don’t reach round to the back of the tyre to foul any components there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know VW say you can’t use chains with the 235/55R17 but there are traction devices from Thule, Spikes Spider and Polaire that may fit as they don’t reach round to the back of the tyre to foul any components there.

I am sure VW are referring to conventional chains only, there are other types that do not go round the back of the tyre as you say but they tend to be much more expensive.

I am sure VW are referring to conventional chains only, there are other types that do not go round the back of the tyre as you say but they tend to be much more expensive.

That IS true, they seem to range from expensive to ridiculous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still cheaper than changing your tyres!

I’d still change my tyres anyway tbh... getting stuck going UPhill is one thing. Losing traction going DOWNhill is an entirely different proposition. Experienced it ONCE in the alps and never looked back... well 'cept when I was meant to be looking forwards during that incident.

My head is spinning a bit on this subject and as it’s one not to get wrong I’d better ask.

I have almost new summer tyres on my 4 Motion 204 and was intending to switch to all weather which I researched to death. Plans have now changed with a trip to Northern Norway and Finland late autumn.

I’ve now decided that despite storage issues and to protect the alloys I shall go for a set of steels. I therefore might as well go for full winters.

I’ve read peoples opinions on brands and it appears that there are a number that will do the job. My question mainly involves size.

I need to get 17” to fit over the callipers and my current tyres are 235/55/17 103V. My spare is the same and on a steel.

Having read the issues with chains (probably never need them but best play it safe) should I be going for 235/55/17 or a 215 and if the later what size to keep the speedo accurate. I presume that would mean my existing spare would suffice in an emergency.

I’m also after a set of 17” steels. Preferably alloy colour with black inserts

Thanks

Mike

Mike, we have 225 60 17 on ours which are fine. We have used chains a number of times with these without any problems.
Re brands, I wouldn't worry about it too much, any of the reputable brands will be fine. Got Vredensteins on the van, Dunlops on the Yeti and both work well.
I have no doubt that some are slightly better than others but tests are relative to conditions and the vehicles used. Unless you are driving on the limit then I can't see it making a lot of difference.
There are generally plenty of steels for sale on eBay.

My head is spinning a bit on this subject and as it’s one not to get wrong I’d better ask.

I have almost new summer tyres on my 4 Motion 204 and was intending to switch to all weather which I researched to death. Plans have now changed with a trip to Northern Norway and Finland late autumn.

I’ve now decided that despite storage issues and to protect the alloys I shall go for a set of steels. I therefore might as well go for full winters.

I’ve read peoples opinions on brands and it appears that there are a number that will do the job. My question mainly involves size.

I need to get 17” to fit over the callipers and my current tyres are 235/55/17 103V. My spare is the same and on a steel.

Having read the issues with chains (probably never need them but best play it safe) should I be going for 235/55/17 or a 215 and if the later what size to keep the speedo accurate. I presume that would mean my existing spare would suffice in an emergency.

Thanks

Mike
If you plan on August/September in Norway/Finland there you don't need Winter Tyres as they are not obligatory until October/November so All Season tyres would be more than adequate.

http://www.konsumenteuropa.se/globalassets/winter_tires_2014.pdf

If you plan on August/September in Norway/Finland there you don't need Winter Tyres as they are not obligatory until October/November so All Season tyres would be more than adequate.

http://www.konsumenteuropa.se/globalassets/winter_tires_2014.pdf

Thanks WG. Useful document.
Trip is mid September until the end of October. Up through Sweden to Tromsø, North Cape then back through Finland.

I need to make a decision of whether or not to have two sets of wheels. If I do it might as well be winters on one set and summers on the other. If one set, then all weather and it will be the Goodyear’s as they are more of a snow bias than the Michelin’s.

Mike

Thanks WG. Useful document.
Trip is mid September until the end of October. Up through Sweden to Tromsø, North Cape then back through Finland.

I need to make a decision of whether or not to have two sets of wheels. If I do it might as well be winters on one set and summers on the other. If one set, then all weather and it will be the Goodyear’s as they are more of a snow bias than the Michelin’s.

Mike
I would have a chat with any Scandinavian members who might be able to give first hand advice.

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 12.43.22.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 12.44.15.jpg

Ok ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am from Denmark and goes to Norway skiing each year. Both in Norway and Sweden real wintertyres are mandatory in winter. In Norway there is a rule that you need to be able to handle the weather you go out in. So if chains could get you out of trouble, and you do not have chains you might be up to a fine.
Winter tuées have better traction below 7C so in my opinion they are well worth having even in the danish winters with very little snow and frost. I let the dealer store the second set of tyres to save space.

I am from Denmark and goes to Norway skiing each year. Both in Norway and Sweden real wintertyres are mandatory in winter. In Norway there is a rule that you need to be able to handle the weather you go out in. So if chains could get you out of trouble, and you do not have chains you might be up to a fine.
Winter tuées have better traction below 7C so in my opinion they are well worth having even in the danish winters with very little snow and frost. I let the dealer store the second set of tyres to save space.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks

Mike
Have look on Tyreleader site as they do steel wheels with tyres of your choice at pretty good pricing.

https://cars.tyreleader.co.uk/tyre-pack/9381/steel-343544/?mount=1

Hi we live in Sweden and drive to Norway often with lots of driving on snow and ice. Like some of the replies said earlier the is no need for winter tyres in October if you don't plan to drive through winter conditions. However if you plan to buy winter tyres you should go for Nordic winter tyres and not mid European ones. There is a big difference in the rubber compound. If you plan to drive during the winter you should go for studded. I never needed chains the last 20 years but definitely would go for studded. Go for Nokian hakkapalita or Continental ContiIceContact.
Lots of info Google translate☺: http://www.bast-i-test.se/tester_pa_basta/vinterdacken.html

Hi we live in Sweden and drive to Norway often with lots of driving on snow and ice. Like some of the replies said earlier the is no need for winter tyres in October if you don't plan to drive through winter conditions. However if you plan to buy winter tyres you should go for Nordic winter tyres and not mid European ones. There is a big difference in the rubber compound. If you plan to drive during the winter you should go for studded. I never needed chains the last 20 years but definitely would go for studded. Go for Nokian hakkapalita or Continental ContiIceContact.
Lots of info Google translate: http://www.bast-i-test.se/tester_pa_basta/vinterdacken.html

I absolutely agree with you. But for those of us who don’t live in Sweden and Norway studded are a very expensive option for a shorter trip. Thus I take chains as a supplement to good winter tyres. After ESP and EDS on my cars I have only used chains once and only to get the last km up the mountain. But on a really icy road they provide traction downhill.

Thanks all for some great input. I’ll come to a decision and post result to check.

Mike

I never believed it would be so hard.

As I have a 4 Motion and prefer to keep tyres as close as possible and my spare is a 235/55/17 I thought it best to stick to that size.

First pick was the Continental Winter Contact TS 860 but couldn’t find it in the correct size or even closest equivalent 215/60/17

Next choice was the Dunlop Winter Sport 5

Found those here:-

https://alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/4x4-suv/winter/5452000486318/Dunlop+Winter+Sport+5+235/55R17+103V+XL/

Anyone dealt with them?

Next step some wheels to stick them on.

Mike

I never believed it would be so hard.

As I have a 4 Motion and prefer to keep tyres as close as possible and my spare is a 235/55/17 I thought it best to stick to that size.

First pick was the Continental Winter Contact TS 860 but couldn’t find it in the correct size or even closest equivalent 215/60/17

Next choice was the Dunlop Winter Sport 5

Found those here:-

https://alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/4x4-suv/winter/5452000486318/Dunlop+Winter+Sport+5+235/55R17+103V+XL/

Anyone dealt with them?

Next step some wheels to stick them on.

Mike

What about the Conti Van Contact Winter:
https://alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/van/...nental+VanContact+Winter+215/60R17C+104/102H/

Time for a Monday morning rant/laugh over my morning coffee.

Before ordering the above tyre from Tyreleader (I’m going to wait anyway) I used there contact form which specifically mentions customer queries.

I asked them what colour the steels came in as I would prefer a natural look which I suspect they came in and not the black in the pictures and if they came with black VW inserts.

The reply I got was.

Please note that as is it indicated under each image on our website, pictures are non-contractual.

We advise you to choose your tyres according to the technical characteristics and sizes specified in the description of the product.

I replied,

I appreciate that which is why I was asking the colour of the steels and if they came with VW black inserts or not.

This is the package I have ordered.

https://cars.tyreleader.co.uk/tyre-pack/9366/steel-343545/750247/

They replied,

Hello,

Unfortunately our supplier did not send us the information

Best regards,

Clément

I replied,

Thanks. Can you not ask the supplier?

It seems a bit daft that a fairly simple query cannot be answered.

I have chosen the tyres carefully.

They replied,

Hello,

Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to inform you.

Amazing. I shall look elsewhere.

Not really worth a rant. To be honest it gave me a laugh.

My reply,

Thanks Clement.

In which case I will not take the opportunity to purchase.

To be fair the guy was very prompt in answering the emails. So prompt in fact that he failed completely to make any attempt to answer the query.

Definitely a case of clearing all the morning emails promptly.

Mike

Last edited:
Time for a Monday morning rant/laugh over my morning coffee.

Before ordering the above tyre from Tyreleader (I’m going to wait anyway) I used there contact form which specifically mentions customer queries.

I asked them what colour the steels came in as I would prefer a natural look which I suspect they came in and not the black in the pictures and if they came with black VW inserts.

The reply I got was.

Please note that as is it indicated under each image on our website, pictures are non-contractual.

We advise you to choose your tyres according to the technical characteristics and sizes specified in the description of the product.

I replied,

I appreciate that which is why I was asking the colour of the steels and if they came with VW black inserts or not.

This is the package I have ordered.

https://cars.tyreleader.co.uk/tyre-pack/9366/steel-343545/750247/

They replied,

Hello,

Unfortunately our supplier did not send us the information

Best regards,

Clément

I replied,

Thanks. Can you not ask the supplier?

It seems a bit daft that a fairly simple query cannot be answered.

I have chosen the tyres carefully.

They replied,

Hello,

Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to inform you.

Amazing. I shall look elsewhere.

Not really worth a rant. To be honest it gave me a laugh.

My reply,

Thanks Clement.

In which case I will not taken the opportunity to purchase.

To be fair the guy was very prompt in answering the emails. So prompt in fact that he failed completely to make any attempt to answer the query.

Definitely a case of clearing all the morning emails promptly.

Mike

Have you tried www.camskill.co.uk?
They have Pirelli Winter which I ran on my Touareg - they were excellent and wore very well (many trips to the alps)
Used Camskill several times and found them on the ball for knowledge and price.
Stu

Maybe: reifendirekt.ch?

Thanks. Tried them. After a wheels and tyre package and none in stock. I’ll try later in the year as in no hurry.

Mike

Back