Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter tyre choice - T6 Ocean 4motion - Switzerland

Caliromande

Caliromande

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi there, this is our first time buying winter tyres for a Cali. We will be driving up into the mountains every weekend and get regular snow fall and cold temperatures where we live close to Lake Geneva. It is normal practice to have summer and winter tyres here and for them to be swopped over around this time of the year. With our previous cars we've pretty much gone with whatever tyre the garage has recommended as we haven't done a great deal of winter driving, but now that our kids are of the age to take ski lessons every weekend over the winter, we're going to be spending a lot more time on the cold/snowy/icy roads and would like to get this right.

The dealership we bought the Cali from has recommended Continental tyres (Continental 235/55 R17 103V XL WinterContact TS 850P). Since that garage is known for its heavy mark ups, we'd like to order elsewhere if possible to get better value for money, but in order to cut down the discussion time, we'd ideally like to go in with a short list.

The garage and internet research have lead us to the the following three which all seem highly rated, but it would be great to get the advice of other Cali owners, if you have experience of using either these tyres or others. Are we on the right lines? Based on experience, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
  • Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S 235/55 R17 103V XL (avec rebord protecteur de jante (FSL))
  • Dunlop 235/55R17 103V Winter Sport 5 SUV
  • Continental 235/55 R17 103V XL WinterContact TS 850P

Dunlop Winter Sport 5 has been the winner in a bunch of tests this autumn. That's what I would go for. Hav to check my winters next week. If they are too worn, I'll go with the Dunlop. But I think it is marginal differences in the short list you present.

Can't help you with your choice of 3 ,,
But our new cali is coming with Goodyear all season vectors, they look really good quality and I know the Goodyears have had some decent reviews..
I would imagine you want dedicated winter tyres not all seasons.
Being near Geneva,
You probably know le grand bornand,?
We go there every year snowboarding
Stunning place
very jealous of where you live :)

All those choices will be fine with 4M also. Marginal differences.
I took a 4WD Yeti on Cross Climates into Alpine heavy snow/ice a couple of seasons ago and they were really good and they are not dedicated winter tyres, although are 3PMSF rated.

I bought my last tires here and I went for the Continental ones in the standard size of my Cali because I read/heard that there aren't any snow chains for the 235/55 R17 ones which are "proven" by VW (sorry could only find a thread in the German caliboard about this topic).

I’ve got Dunlop winter sport on steels for Alps which you can use chains with and Goodyear Vector 4 seasons for alloys in summer / English winter which you can’t use chains with .Both excellent . Interestingly I get more mpg ( 2 or 3 ) with Dunlop on narrower wheels .

I’ve had Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme and they were excellent - just as good as the Pirelli Scorpion Winters I had subsequently yet cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme and they were excellent - just as good as the Pirelli Scorpion Winters I had subsequently yet cheaper.

I should add that it wasn’t on a Cali - BMW x6 the vredestein and a Touareg The Pirelli’s

We have Vredensteins on the Cali and Dunlops on our Yeti. Both are 4wd and both types of tyres are excellent.
TBH I think it's fairly unlikely that the average person would tell the difference between well known and respected brands of winter tyres.
I'd probably go for the least expensive when we renew them.

Definitely go for 215 / 60 R17. They are compatible with snow chains. Factory fitted. Dunlop winter sport.
2a6e33550eda41583f632318e1ac0c2a.jpg

Thanks to all of you for your responses, especially to the Swiss members with whom I would never have corresponded on a Swiss California group/forum! Being unable to communicate in Swiss German it's hard to find information here as I would feel uncomfortable "invading" the Swiss groups with posts in either French or English!

I'm reassured that we're heading along the right lines and grateful for the links to the online tyre shops. Certainly a lot cheaper than at the garage - just need to be sure we order the right size! Given that we also need to purchase a new set of tyres for our other car, I had hoped we could get away with using the existing wheels for the California and just buying two sets of tyres, rather than having to buy wheels + tyres - it's going to be an expensive month! :(

Can't help you with your choice of 3 ,,
But our new cali is coming with Goodyear all season vectors, they look really good quality and I know the Goodyears have had some decent reviews..
I would imagine you want dedicated winter tyres not all seasons.
Being near Geneva,
You probably know le grand bornand,?
We go there every year snowboarding
Stunning place
very jealous of where you live :)

Yes, Jay17cali - dedicated winter tyres definitely required here! We consider ourselves extremely lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world, but I still find England beautiful too (well, bits of it at least).

Thanks to all of you for your responses, especially to the Swiss members with whom I would never have corresponded on a Swiss California group/forum! Being unable to communicate in Swiss German it's hard to find information here as I would feel uncomfortable "invading" the Swiss groups with posts in either French or English!

You're welcome. Great to "meet" another Swiss Member! English is fine to me (my French skills are below zero or status quo primary school). Maybe this kind of add is interesting?

I have just bought a set of Nokian WR C3 winter tyres for my van, 215 60 17's the tread pattern is more open then the Conti Winter Contacts they replaced, looking for forward to some snow to try them on.

Look out for a set of standard VW alloys on line, many people change to 18" wheels, I picked up a full set of delivery mileage wheels and summer tyres for £550. I do the two wheel changes a year myself, easy with a decent jack. Remember to put some copper grease on the mating spigot to prevent the steel / aluminium seizing problem.

Ive yet to buy my winter tyres which I need particularly for my Northern Lights Lapland trip , probably late March or April next year .

I did a lot of research and feel convinced that these tyres are the best . It’s a totally new technology which gives almost studded tyre performance. They apparently also last very well .

They are not yet very well known but will definitely be my choice

A dealer in Sussex I think quoted me around £550 fitted for 4

https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

Ive yet to buy my winter tyres which I need particularly for my Northern Lights Lapland trip , probably late March or April next year .

I did a lot of research and feel convinced that these tyres are the best . It’s a totally new technology which gives almost studded tyre performance. They apparently also last very well .

Great price, sorry if you know this already but remember you will need the 103 load rated ones.

I would go for 215 width, my experience is that 235 is too wide in snow and you loose grip both sideways and traction wise. I have 4 motion with Nokian hakka which is very stable.

I would go for 215 width, my experience is that 235 is too wide in snow and you loose grip both sideways and traction wise. I have 4 motion with Nokian hakka which is very stable.

215 also provides better clearance for chains, not sure if you can fit snow chains on 235's?

x 80 euro I found 4 iron wheels from 16 ..... I fitted the Nokian Weaterproof great on the snow and did not "burn" too soon when the temperature rises ... the 215 / 65r16 is ideal for mounting any chains that do not interfere with shock absorbers etc ....

Nice tires but what size for 17” California?

Annoying to find that VW say you should not fit chains on the 235/55 tyres fitted as standard to the Ocean. I always carried a set of chains in my T25 Westy - useful for wet grass/mud as well as snow. Essential to get out of my drive in SouthEast Hampshire on the rare occasions we get snow.

I am now on the loookout for a cheap set of 17 inch steels to fit 215/60 tyres.

Back