Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Autowatch ghost on a 6.1

What is brilliant about it?
You cannot tell its there and the fitter put it where it would be very difficult to find. It’s so simple to use and easy to disarm it when it goes into the garage for any work. I must say I’ve slept a lot better since having it fitted as I’m not worrying about somebody trying to steal it.

You cannot tell its there and the fitter put it where it would be very difficult to find. It’s so simple to use and easy to disarm it when it goes into the garage for any work. I must say I’ve slept a lot better since having it fitted as I’m not worrying about somebody trying to steal it.
Same for me. Sleep easier knowing if they break in and take keys, it’s going nowhere !

What is brilliant about it?
I'd like to know this so bumping this up. Googled it but didn't get very far in understanding it much.
Thinking about getting one but not sure what it entails, are the keys modified to have to enter a lock type code on your key before you can start then engine ? Sounds like a faff ?

I'd like to know this so bumping this up. Googled it but didn't get very far in understanding it much.
Thinking about getting one but not sure what it entails, are the keys modified to have to enter a lock type code on your key before you can start then engine ? Sounds like a faff ?
The Ghost immobiliser is a small circuit added discreetly to the wiring of your cali by an authorised auto electrician.
Its job is to prevent the vehicle from starting unless a code has been entered, even if the thief has obtained the keys.
The code is entered using the buttons of your dash or steering wheel and can be between 4 and 20 pushes.
It’s a bit like 2 factor authentication for the Cali, you need both your keys and know your code to drive it away.

It does sound like a faff, but to go to sleep safe in the knowledge that if your house is burgled and keys taken. You’ll wake up knowing it’s on the drive. And if by some miracle they have driven a low loader onto your drive and lifted the Cali physically, then the Tracker (I opted for a Global Telemetrics) (which can be fitted at the same time for a reduced cost) will alert the constantly monitored tracking team. The team call you and ask if you’re with the Cali, (As it’s moving with no engine started) you say no. They then alert the nearest police station and together they recover your car. In all the taken cars with trackers, it’s a very high percentage that are recovered within a couple of hours. Very highly recommended.
So for a press of a few buttons on the steering wheel it’s a max of 10 second faff.
But you program yourself to do it every time.
And you can change the code when you like.
Or leave it to chance and they disappear with £60k / £70k worth of your hard earned cash ?

Having previously been woken from a very nice sleep in the early hours of the morning by 3 baseball bat wielding thugs demanding car keys, if someone has the front to break into an occupied house for car keys the last thing I would want is them getting wound up on the drive as the van wouldn’t start. They will just come back in & ask you to start it for them.

My keys stay downstairs, in an obvious place & I sleep well knowing that the insurance will pay out if the van is nicked.

Sorry for the distress @andyinluton that you suffered and totally understand your, let them have it, if they want it attitude.
In your situation it’s totally the right thing to do.
Everybody has different situations, opinions and understanding of the law / how they want to safeguard their property
Thieves know the consequences of burglary with intent to cause harm, sentences are 16 years.
Yet just burglary are up to 3 years.
If they can’t get the car started they are off to the next victim.
That’s if they can get in my house without my Blue Staffordshire ripping their face off :thumb

I'm wondering about getting a tracker but then read that thieves will find them and remove them from the van ?

Having previously been woken from a very nice sleep in the early hours of the morning by 3 baseball bat wielding thugs demanding car keys, if someone has the front to break into an occupied house for car keys the last thing I would want is them getting wound up on the drive as the van wouldn’t start. They will just come back in & ask you to start it for them.

My keys stay downstairs, in an obvious place & I sleep well knowing that the insurance will pay out if the van is nicked.
Yes, you often bring this up and it must have been extremely distressing for you, but you are in a very small minority of people this has happened to.

I'm wondering about getting a tracker but then read that thieves will find them and remove them from the van ?
If they really really want the California, they will use a Hoist to lift onto the back of a truck. Drive for a couple of hours and then drop into a steel container. Then they would spend many hours ripping the dashboard, the seats and all inner coverings of the Cali to find the tracker.
If they want to take it, they will.
Luckily this isn’t South Africa, where ones pride and joy will be taken on the road with machetes poised over ones head.
You have to weigh up the following. Does one want to keep the Cali ?
What can one do to keep the Campervan on ones drive.
Can one afford £600 to pay for the Ghost 2 and tracker?
Can one afford £12.50 a month to pay the monthly subscription fee to Global Telemetrics?
Or if one wishes to keep said vehicle for over 2 years, then a one off payment of £300 for life of the tracking, is a sterling buy.
So, if one has £900 and one wants to keep said vehicle over a, let’s say 5 year period, then that equates to £15 a month.
No brainer for me. I like to know I have transport home when I’ve been away for a week and want to drive home.
One pays ones money and takes ones chances.
Do or don’t. The choice is yours.
How much hassle would it be to find the vehicle gone? Can you afford to pay for a hire car, for how long the insurance decides to pay out.
Are you happy to lose the vehicle. Lots of questions to write down and ask ones self.
In these situations, I was taught by a good fellow (from Germany, where they do have good idea’s, some of them!) to write everything down on a piece of paper. Left - for / right against and a line in the middle. It’s always helped oneself to provide an excellent visual way of seeing which way to go. Good luck !

Lu
Yes, you often bring this up and it must have been extremely distressing for you, but you are in a very small minority of people this has happened to.
Approx 12% of cars stolen last year were following the theft of the keys.
The only thing that kept the numbers down was keyless entry. It made it much easier / less risky for someone to steal a car.

I am fairly certain of the answer to the following question but would like to double check before going ahead with getting Ghost installed in our 6.1.

In the 6.1 we need to turn the ignition on to operate the heater, but you do not need to start the engine. I presume you enter the code for the Ghost ONLY when you want to start the engine rather than every time you are parked up and just want the heater or radio on. Thank you!

I am fairly certain of the answer to the following question but would like to double check before going ahead with getting Ghost installed in our 6.1.

In the 6.1 we need to turn the ignition on to operate the heater, but you do not need to start the engine. I presume you enter the code for the Ghost ONLY when you want to start the engine rather than every time you are parked up and just want the heater or radio on. Thank you!
You are correct about the Ghost 2
You must make sure you have the 2nd Gen Ghost.
called Ghost 2, as this works with the 6.1
The Heater can be switched by way of the control panel or seperate key fob supplied when new.
And the ignition does NOT need to be on.
So you can laze in bed, and press the fob for a few seconds until a little green light comes on the fob, then the heater will be activated.
Max heat I think, or what ever you set it last for instant on heat.
If you want to adjust the heat overnight, you set to continuous with a setting of say 4, and it will keep that temp all night or until you switch off on control panel or after 12 hours ?
But 100% don’t need ignition on.

You are correct about the Ghost 2
You must make sure you have the 2nd Gen Ghost.
called Ghost 2, as this works with the 6.1
The Heater can be switched by way of the control panel or seperate key fob supplied when new.
And the ignition does NOT need to be on.
So you can laze in bed, and press the fob for a few seconds until a little green light comes on the fob, then the heater will be activated.
Max heat I think, or what ever you set it last for instant on heat.
If you want to adjust the heat overnight, you set to continuous with a setting of say 4, and it will keep that temp all night or until you switch off on control panel or after 12 hours ?
But 100% don’t need ignition on.
Thank you, will make sure to get the Ghost 2 fitted.

But just to clarify (again!) it is only when you want to start the engine, as opposed to just having the ignition turned on to listen to the radio, that you need to input the code. Is that correct? (I do appreciate your input).

You are totally correct @subthree
You can turn ignition on and off and do not need to put code in.
Only input code before cranking starter motor
You’re very welcome :cheers

Thank you, will make sure to get the Ghost 2 fitted.

But just to clarify (again!) it is only when you want to start the engine, as opposed to just having the ignition turned on to listen to the radio, that you need to input the code. Is that correct? (I do appreciate your input).
Why do you have to put the ignition on to listen to the radio?
Have they gone backwards on the T6. 1?
On my T5. 1 you just press the Volume button to switch the radio On when parked and engine/ignition Off.

Why do you have to put the ignition on to listen to the radio?
Have they gone backwards on the T6. 1?
On my T5. 1 you just press the Volume button to switch the radio On when parked and engine/ignition Off.
I meant use basic functions rather than specifically the radio.

I meant use basic functions rather than specifically the radio.
Well my unit will operate all functions, SatNav, USB media, DVD and phone without the ignition On. Will switch off after about 20 mins but just press the button again.
Interesting that they have gone backwards.

A silly thought has just crossed my mind. I'm not being lazy, but I haven't got a vehicle at the moment to check the paperwork. If the vehicle is stolen while you are away from home, does the breakdown and "recovery" recover you back home?

Well my unit will operate all functions, SatNav, USB media, DVD and phone without the ignition On. Will switch off after about 20 mins but just press the button again.
Interesting that they have gone backwards.
I don't think this is exclusive to the Cali, the last few cars I have owned have been the same.

Premiums down? I can't believe how low our annual premium is, £230 fully comp with Comfort. For me this is purely about trying to reduce the chance of it disappearing. My wife's little A3 costs more per year! She has no points or accidents - other than marrying me!
Do you have tracker ? Needing to look at insurance and considering Comfort !

I don't think this is exclusive to the Cali, the last few cars I have owned have been the same.
Exactly, but according to the OP, he has to have the ignition On and he has a T6.1.

Exactly, but according to the OP, he has to have the ignition On and he has a T6.1.
My point was that most new cars now operate the same as the 6.1 ie needing the ignition on to keep the radio on after a couple of minutes. My Maserati Levante is exactly the same as my Cali Coast 6.1 in this respect as were my AMG GLC & E Class Merc's before them. It's an industry standard as opposed to a retrograde step for the Cali. You may wish to say this is a retrograde for the car industry if you like but it isn't exclusive to the Cali.

My point was that most new cars now operate the same as the 6.1 ie needing the ignition on to keep the radio on after a couple of minutes. My Maserati Levante is exactly the same as my Cali Coast 6.1 in this respect as were my AMG GLC & E Class Merc's before them. It's an industry standard as opposed to a retrograde step for the Cali. You may wish to say this is a retrograde for the car industry if you like but it isn't exclusive to the Cali.
Thank you. Definitely retrograde as far as a Campervan is concerned. Another reason to keep mine going.:thumb