Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Autowatch Ghost

Loz

Loz

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Finally got around to putting up a review of my Autowatch Ghost and the installer Autolec.
The Ghost gives me peace of mind knowing that even if my keys a taken, it cannot be started and driven away.
The great thing about this is it is very difficult to defeat and immune to ODB hacks etc.
To start the Cali I enter a code using a selection of buttons on the dash/steering wheel. If this is not done the vehicle will not run. There is also a valet mode that can be set that allows the dealer to run the vehicle and drive it up to 30mph for no more than 15 minutes (no taking it shopping)

Greg Proctor was the installer, a great guy with many years of experience in the trade.
The install was handled very professionally and I had total confidence in him working on my Cali.
Greg came to my home and worked out of his kitted out VW Caddy.
As per the industry regulations, I was not permitted to see where it was fitted so after chatting with him for a little I left him to it. All done and dusted in a couple of hours.

scaled.IMG_1362.jpeg scaled.IMG_1393.jpeg

£399 seem to be about the standard price. I had mine done recently as well by a national provider that turned out to be based near me. No issues with the service.

How much does this delay the start procedure, also, any negatives that you can think of??

How much does this delay the start procedure, also, any negatives that you can think of??

I think it's a matter of seconds depends how quick you do the sequence, that really wouldn't bother me just so long as it stops the scumbags nicking your vehicle :mad:

I have one fitted and it becomes second nature to push the button sequence before start. And as Loz said gives you peace of mind that even if they get your keys they are not going anywhere. I still swivel my seat run every night as well just to confuse would be thieves even more. Lol

Do you need to reinsert the code if you stall...?
What about stop/start...?

I know if it kicks in and I don’t move for a certain length of time, I get a message on the mfd asking me to start vehicle with ignition key...?

You what would be great. If finger print was required instead of a code.

How many characters is the code and is it numerical...?

Sorry about all the questions

Do you need to reinsert the code if you stall...?
What about stop/start...?

I know if it kicks in and I don’t move for a certain length of time, I get a message on the mfd asking me to start vehicle with ignition key...?

You what would be great. If finger print was required instead of a code.

How many characters is the code and is it numerical...?

Sorry about all the questions
Does not re-immobilize for 30 seconds, does not activate during stop-start.
The code is entered by pressing some of the buttons on the steering wheel/dash you can choose/set from 4 to 20 button presses for your code.

I would love biometrics to be incorporated by the manufacturers, it would help a massive amount in reducing thefts.

It’s odd really. Finger print/face recog is there on your iPhone (other smart phones are available) so it could be easily integrated into the vehicle.

It’s odd really. Finger print/face recog is there on your iPhone (other smart phones are available) so it could be easily integrated into the vehicle.

Agree Sidepod.
They could use the phones finger/face recognition. The same way you can use your phone to buy stuff at the shop where contactless limit is unlimited as the phone pre-authenticates the transaction using finger print.
Just needs an adaptation for vehicles. Although, I’m sure it’s something in the motions.

Interesting, I haven't heard of this one before.
The valet mode seems a bit limiting, my dealers collect and return my Cali about 30 miles along the M6...
Can you change the code?

Is this not just a very expensive electronic version of a secret switch?

Explain “move”?

The sooner they ban diesels the better, then we can go back to popping the dizzy cap and taking the rotor arm with you.

long time since we have seen a dizzy and rotor arm...

Thought this was a Halloween Thread! :confused:

Depending on your combination you can also disable it very discreetly, so no fiddling under the dash or other for a hidden switch.

Yea, once your hidden switch is known it would need to be moved, but the ghost can be reprogrammed to a different combination..

How about if you sell the vehicle. Can it be removed and re installed at a reduced cost?

Back