Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Autowatch Ghost

Thinking of adding one.
My concern is I would get fed up having to enter the pin every time.
Anyone had one for a while, and use on a daily driver?

I've had one since April, used daily, and would second everyone else's comments. It becomes muscle memory very quick. The only rough edge for me is getting it into service mode, which when sat outside the dealers I almost always fail to do! It's probably me more than the ghost but worth practicing when it's installed.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

They have a face book page which you can message or google and phone and they will give you the local approved fitter.
@willwander no hassle entering code @soulstyledevon and I compete if you can do your seatbelt up before it gives you two flashes to say it’s ready (I’ve only done this once - but it’s a good game).
They will also discount @30% of a tracker if you have one fitted at the same time - I did and it’s hard wired in and I pay £12 month for the app and real time tracking- expensiveish but when I consider how much the purchase price was - so for the peace of mind for me money well spent.

Has anyone with a Ghost fitted had an attempted theft made or even a successful one

I intend to have a Ghost II fitted soon, what I haven't seen or heard is any success stories of attempted thefts being foiled by this device. I can only assume that visible stickers put thieves off in the first place.

Has anyone with a Ghost fitted had an attempted theft made or even a successful one

I intend to have a Ghost II fitted soon, what I haven't seen or heard is any success stories of attempted thefts being foiled by this device. I can only assume that visible stickers put thieves off in the first place.

My advice.
Don't advertise what security you may have fitted...
If they are sitting on the driveway and can't figure out why it won't start. That would leave them confused and anxious. They are more than lightly going to leave it and run instead of figuring out why they can't get it to go.
They want in and out as quickly as possible. They will always strike the easiest target...!!!

Don't give them tips beforehand...

My advice.
Don't advertise what security you may have fitted...
If they are sitting on the driveway and can't figure out why it won't start. That would leave them confused and anxious. They are more than lightly going to leave it and run instead of figuring out why they can't get it to go.
They want in and out as quickly as possible. They will always strike the easiest target...!!!

Don't give them tips beforehand...
Yes its a dilemma for me, give them info which they can go away and figure out how to get round for next time but at the same time potentially avoid an attempted theft in the first place and avoid damage / insurance claim and excess payment etc which is a more tangible benefit for me.

At what point will thieves stop pulling the van apart in the attempted theft and give up.

I not sure if Ghost owners display stickers or not but this is the main reason I can think of for the absence of owners tales about thwarted thefts due to the Ghost, another potential reason is not many Calis are actually targeted by thieves.

Yes its a dilemma for me, give them info which they can go away and figure out how to get round for next time but at the same time potentially avoid an attempted theft in the first place and avoid damage / insurance claim and excess payment etc which is a more tangible benefit for me.

At what point will thieves stop pulling the van apart in the attempted theft and give up.

I not sure if Ghost owners display stickers or not but this is the main reason I can think of for the absence of owners tales about thwarted thefts due to the Ghost, another potential reason is not many Calis are actually targeted by thieves.

My view is things can be fixed if broken.

They can’t keep ripping things apart, otherwise further damage will be done and it’s definitely a fine balance.
Easier for them to move on.

Not sure why you would think Calis aren’t targets...?
High ticket item, worth a fortune broken down. I know Motorhome theft is on the increase.

Btw.
I don’t advertise the ghost. No stickers.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
My fitter stuck the sticker on without asking me. I've pondered taking it off but there's arguments either way.

As said, it's difficult to prove a negative but the closest I've gotten on testing the effectiveness of the Ghost was when the van went in for a respray of a scratched side panel not long after the tracker, ghost and dashcam were fitted. I left the van with the ghost in service mode at the dealers and they set off with it down the M6 to the paint shop - which deactivated the service mode. Later that day I got a call from the dealer asking for the disarm sequence as the paint shop couldn't move the van. when i got the van back I figured I could review some dashcam footage to see if that was working and see how the van was treated while on its holiday away. there were two highlights...
the first was when one of the paint shop staff spent around half an hour effin and jeffin and being unable to start the van - even though he had the sequence and the process written down from when the dealer passed them on. It took three of them to have a go before one of them got the knack.
the second was a recorded conversation/heated discussion from the paint shop staff about what exactly the van was while they were wrapping up. opinion was split over weather it was a hacked-up caravelle (because it has the rail system in so wasn't really a campervan) or weather it was a proper posh campervan that'd cost 100k+ and I'd then had the kitchen yanked out to fit the back seats...which they thought was really stupid, what sort of tit would spend 100k on a van and then rip the kitchen out? :veryfunny

My fitter stuck the sticker on without asking me. I've pondered taking it off but there's arguments either way.

As said, it's difficult to prove a negative but the closest I've gotten on testing the effectiveness of the Ghost was when the van went in for a respray of a scratched side panel not long after the tracker, ghost and dashcam were fitted. I left the van with the ghost in service mode at the dealers and they set off with it down the M6 to the paint shop - which deactivated the service mode. Later that day I got a call from the dealer asking for the disarm sequence as the paint shop couldn't move the van. when i got the van back I figured I could review some dashcam footage to see if that was working and see how the van was treated while on its holiday away. there were two highlights...
the first was when one of the paint shop staff spent around half an hour effin and jeffin and being unable to start the van - even though he had the sequence and the process written down from when the dealer passed them on. It took three of them to have a go before one of them got the knack.
the second was a recorded conversation/heated discussion from the paint shop staff about what exactly the van was while they were wrapping up. opinion was split over weather it was a hacked-up caravelle (because it has the rail system in so wasn't really a campervan) or weather it was a proper posh campervan that'd cost 100k+ and I'd then had the kitchen yanked out to fit the back seats...which they thought was really stupid, what sort of tit would spend 100k on a van and then rip the kitchen out? :veryfunny

That last bit is really funny, made my day Thankyou....

I’ve had a ghost ii for about 8 months now on my ocean, which is a daily drive. Entering the code is second nature and the valet mode had worked fine for me too. The wife hates it because she doesn’t drive the van often and usually forgets the code and then gets in a mess.

I have had an odd thing happen lately - I’m getting a stop start error, so the engine never stops (I know many would think this a bonus, but I’ve gone to terms with the stop start). I think it’s to do with the ghost because I got this error several times when the ghost was newly fitted and I’d forgotten to enter the code.

The problem has persisted over several weeks (ie many engine restarts) and I have tried putting it into valet mode too.

Anyone else experienced the like? Was wondering whether to get Carista or similar to read fault codes, as out of warranty.

I’ve had a ghost ii for about 8 months now on my ocean, which is a daily drive. Entering the code is second nature and the valet mode had worked fine for me too. The wife hates it because she doesn’t drive the van often and usually forgets the code and then gets in a mess.

I have had an odd thing happen lately - I’m getting a stop start error, so the engine never stops (I know many would think this a bonus, but I’ve gone to terms with the stop start). I think it’s to do with the ghost because I got this error several times when the ghost was newly fitted and I’d forgotten to enter the code.

The problem has persisted over several weeks (ie many engine restarts) and I have tried putting it into valet mode too.

Anyone else experienced the like? Was wondering whether to get Carista or similar to read fault codes, as out of warranty.

How do you know it’s a stop/start error...?
I’m not quite following?

Mines been on for over a year, I think. No issues to report, other than an immobiliser error when I connect Carista. But that’s down to the Ghost, but doesn’t actual cause any issues...

How do you know it’s a stop/start error...?
I’m not quite following?

Mines been on for over a year, I think. No issues to report, other than an immobiliser error when I connect Carista. But that’s down to the Ghost, but doesn’t actual cause any issues...

Because the mfd display says stop start error and the engine never cuts out, it did previously

Because the mfd display says stop start error and the engine never cuts out, it did previously

Ok, I see.
With Stop/start not activating sounds ideal...;)
I can’t see why the Ghost would cause this error.
I actually use stop/start in my sequence and therefore the engine never cuts out. But that’s my preference as I think stop start on the Cali is awful, infact borderline dangerous at times...

I know what you mean; I’ve got used to the amount of brake pedal pressure needed to hold the vehicle but not have the engine stop at a junction, but it is frustrating when the engine stops when you’re about to pull away

£399 fitted inc vat
As a long term user if the Ghost …Any issues Loz? Thinking of taking our T6 abroad this year and have seen some threads that mention problems tripping Valet mode (whatever that is?) and then not being able to restart !

Cheers

Taff

As a long term user if the Ghost …Any issues Loz? Thinking of taking our T6 abroad this year and have seen some threads that mention problems tripping Valet mode (whatever that is?) and then not being able to restart !

Cheers

Taff
No problems at all. Great peace of mind.

I am also a long term Ghost user and am very happy with the device. Like Loz it gives us great peace of mind. I must admit I don't use the valet mode myself. I think that if I can't trust the mechanic to be sensible with the Cali I shouldn't be taking it there in the first place. The only problems I have had with it are people in Reception writing down the sequence incorrectly and having to call me to get the van to start.
We don't live near the dealership so there is little risk of it being known where we are.
I have had the odd time when I have tried to start it before the code has been accepted and it goes a bit funny and you have to wait a while then try again.

Can you have a code to disarm it altogether, rather than valet code , and then when collect cali,turn it back on ?

I am also a long term Ghost user and am very happy with the device. Like Loz it gives us great peace of mind. I must admit I don't use the valet mode myself. I think that if I can't trust the mechanic to be sensible with the Cali I shouldn't be taking it there in the first place. The only problems I have had with it are people in Reception writing down the sequence incorrectly and having to call me to get the van to start.
We don't live near the dealership so there is little risk of it being known where we are.
I have had the odd time when I have tried to start it before the code has been accepted and it goes a bit funny and you have to wait a while then try again.
Sounds a bit like giving a stranger your Credit Card PIN on the basis that they don't live near you.

Not really the chance of it being stolen from a repair centre is minimal, most have not got one so where is the difference, most of the issues with the Ghost is putting in valet mode and then the garage not doing it correctly and not being able to work on it or test it ? And with labour rates over £100 i just thought it would make it easier

Back