Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Autowatch Ghost

How much does this delay the start procedure, also, any negatives that you can think of??

There is an autowatch iPhone app that’s really good. Costs £10 from the App Store but it knows when you are in the vehicle and will start without any code input. It is also very quick to turn off if you are nearby or inside and don’t want vehicle to start. I think you can only have one app per installation but I put it on my wife’s phone and I keep with the code so I don’t forget it.

It was a must for me after losing a van to a key theft and definitely helps me sleep at night.

Great product we have one fitted.

I personally haven’t downloaded the autowatch app to use on the van it makes it to easy to start the van In my mind if my phone is in the van or my phone gets stolen some can start the van easily.

Only problems I’ve come across are...

service/valet mode entry, I forgot how to enter
It and had the dealer call me saying they couldn’t start it. (I know how it works now)

Parking with the steering wheel upside down makes look slightly odd when you come to enter the code again, I find myself tilting my head to match the steering wheel position to enter the code.

I personally haven’t downloaded the autowatch app to use on the van it makes it to easy to start the van In my mind if my phone is in the van or my phone gets stolen some can start the van easily.

It and had the dealer call me saying they couldn’t start it. (I know how it works now)

Parking with the steering wheel upside down makes look slightly odd when you come to enter the code again, I find myself tilting my head to match the steering wheel position to enter the code.

When I get in and realise I’ve not straightened the wheel it always takes me a minute. The app is as secure as entry to your phone as you can leave it set to off and it just needs a quick tap on the app switch it on as you approach the van.

It also means I can change the code without having to explain it to anyone else as the app just works once it is synced and if I do forget the code I can use my wife’s phone rather than faffing about with resetting it.

Loz

How are you finding the Ghost Immobiliser...?

I’m pretty much ready to give it a go. It was between this and a tracker.
My feeling is, once the vehicle is gone. I don’t want it back.

Just wondering are you still happy with the product?

Loz

How are you finding the Ghost Immobiliser...?

I’m pretty much ready to give it a go. It was between this and a tracker.
My feeling is, once the vehicle is gone. I don’t want it back.

Just wondering are you still happy with the product?

Yep, it’s all good for me. After a while it just becomes part of starting the van and I barely think about it. I do forget every now and then if in a hurry and you soon realise what you’ve done. I fitted it alongside a tracker and while I hope never to need the tracker it does give some peace of mind. The valet setting is easy to use if leaving the van for service/mot and haven’t had anyone say they’ve had any issue starting it.

Overall very happy with it and would definitely fit another to a new vehicle

I’ve just read on another forum (Porsche) that fitting a Ghost Immobiliser voids Porsche warranty...
Just wondering if it’s the same with Volkswagen

I’ve just read on another forum (Porsche) that fitting a Ghost Immobiliser voids Porsche warranty...

I doubt it because they would not know it's even fitted. I had mine in the garage and forgot to tell them about it. They had it linked up to technicians in Germany via the computer and even they couldn't tell one was fitted

Dealers will say that about anything, but they won't recover your stolen vehicle for you either...
The statement it a bit sweeping and not technically correct, they can only void the warranty against any claim resulting from a component directly attributed to the system that has been modified.

If for example you fit raised or lowered suspension then claim for a damaged drive shaft they could refuse to cover it as it is directly attributed to your modification, but they could not refuse a claim against your radio...

Ok.
I’m going for this then.
As I surf to, its another layer of protection when I’m out surfing. Always nice to come back and your vehicle is still there.

I gather there are a couple of companies doing these.
Is it Autowatch is the one to go for...?

Ok.
I’m going for this then.
As I surf to, its another layer of protection when I’m out surfing. Always nice to come back and your vehicle is still there.

I gather there are a couple of companies doing these.
Is it Autowatch is the one to go for...?
It's the only one with a good track record to date, there was talk of another but it has not appeared on the market.
There is a nationwide network of installer for the AG now.

Cheers guys.
Turns out, an old friend fits these.
He’s coming in April:thumb

House across the road had 3 hooded guys kick the front door through middle of the day last week.
Decided it was time to add another layer of protection from these scumbags.

Update.

All fitted and working.
Another positive, I’ve used the stop/start button in the sequence. Which means it’s deactivated every time I jump into the van.
Probably worth having just for that...;)

The sooner they ban diesels the better, then we can go back to popping the dizzy cap and taking the rotor arm with you.
No Dizzy caps on petrol engines now, all done by the computer via timing data from the crank. Virtually the same as diesels except for the spark plug ignition process to fire.
I'm ignoring the compression differences.

Hi all,
Been lurking for a while as we waited for our T6 conversion to be completed, we’re bowled over by it! However in the few days we’ve had it, we’ve had a bit of a problem with Ghost II. Apologies if this is thread hijack but I wanted to see if it was something anyone else had experienced as I know a few people have it installed now.
Twice, following (I think) incorrect entry of the disarm code, it’s got itself into a strange state. Upon entry of the presumably incorrect code, the engine ran for a couple of seconds before cutting out, as expected. I waited a while and then tried to restart. I entered the code again but when I tried to start the engine there was silence. This happened for the first time yesterday when we were away from home but no matter how long I waited, when I repeated the sequence, the engine did not turn over at all when I turned the ignition on. Eventually after another failed attempt, out of desperation, I tried just turning the ignition key to 0, not removing it, and turning it again without even re-entering the disarm sequence, and it started. The same thing happened today so it’s not a fluke.
For the starter motor to not turn over at all like this makes me think that it might actually be VW’s immobiliser stopping it, but is this an issue any of you recognise, maybe even if you don’t have Ghost installed? If it’s a fault with VW’s immobiliser I rather doubt they would do anything about it under warranty as they’d say that the Ghost installation has affected it. If it remains occasional and as easy to get round as just turning the ignition off and on again then I won’t be all that worried but it’s a concern all the same to have this happen on a new van.

Interesting, I've not heard this before, but as you say could be something else. Try your other key to be sure.

If you enter the incorrect code and start the engine, the engine cuts out.

Then enter the code again and immediately turn off the ignition without attempting a restart.

Within three seconds, turn on ignition and reenter the code.

Now the engine should start.

Then enter the code again and immediately turn off the ignition without attempting a restart.

Interesting, let me get this straight, you’re saying I should re-enter the code before turning the ignition off and on again? How did you find that out, I didn’t see it in the user guide and though there’s some technical support info on the Autowatch website, I never read this. I’ll give it a try.

Because I kept messing it up and then couldn't restart it, I thought there must be a fault with the installation or something. So i phoned the installer and he told me.

Sorry....

Let me get this straight.....

TURN OFF. TURN ON. Then enter the code again and immediately turn off the ignition without attempting a restart.

Sorry....

Let me get this straight.....

TURN OFF. TURN ON. Then enter the code again and immediately turn off the ignition without attempting a restart.

That’s ok it can be a complicated beast, had a whale of a time trying to reprogram the disarm sequence. Are you 100% sure the final “...and reeenter the code” is necessary, because I think I managed to restart without doing that. I’m a bit scared of experimenting with it TBH in case I end up stranded...

That’s ok it can be a complicated beast, had a whale of a time trying to reprogram the disarm sequence. Are you 100% sure the final “...and reeenter the code” is necessary, because I think I managed to restart without doing that. I’m a bit scared of experimenting with it TBH in case I end up stranded...

I've just gone out to the van.

Without entering the code, the engine stalls and then the engine won't restart.

Switch off. Switch on. If I simply re-enter the code and try to restart it won't.

But, if I switch off, switch on, re-enter code, switch off, switch on (within 3 seconds), it will restart and although until now I have always re-entered the code for one final time, Felix seems to be correct and it is not necessary to re-enter the code again (although until this evening, I always have).

I've just gone out to the van.

Without entering the code, the engine stalls and then the engine won't restart.

Switch off. Switch on. If I simply re-enter the code and try to restart it won't.

But, if I switch off, switch on, re-enter code, switch off, switch on (within 3 seconds), it will restart and although until now I have always re-entered the code for one final time, Felix seems to be correct and it is not necessary to re-enter the code again (although until this evening, I always have).

Haha I’m not claiming any credit for this, it was pure good fortune. But it’s good to know that yours behaves the same as mine suggesting that this is by design and not a weird fault. Would be good if Autowatch’s instructions made this clear though.

Back