Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning removal

Y

ymfb

Does anyone remove their awning in the winter months ?

Is it easy and fairly risk free ?

I have removed my awning and it is straight forward but I dont
Remove in the winter

I was thinking that it might be better not to subject the awning and its case to the ravages of salt and extreme temps. Also it cannot help fuel consumption, so I thought it might be best off when there's no likely possibility of it being used.

Remember that if you then remove the two awning brackets that you have to use shorter bolts when putting the bolts back in the bolt holes in the roof.

cheers

Alex is it really necessary to replace the bolts at all when the awning is removed, what function do they serve?
Brgds
Martin Adnams :thanks

I would guess if you didn't replace the bolts you would have a leak. The bolt holes are probably
For roof bars on a standard van if you see what I mean :thumb

adnamsm said:
Alex is it really necessary to replace the bolts at all when the awning is removed, what function do they serve?
Brgds
Martin Adnams :thanks

I would advise replacing them otherwise you will have holes in the roof and I imagine that it could leak when the roof is up. Vehicles without awnings from the factory are supplied with the bolts in the holes.

cheers

I have a new beach (MY 2015) and read this topic prior to removing the awning. The manual still states to replace the bolts with shorter ones, but I found out the bolts fit into the holes after removing the awning brackets just fine. They fit in all the way and there is no way water can leak through. The three from the front were slightly larger (I think M6-16) than the three from the rear (M6-12).

Is there a special tool required for this? The screw head on mine is a strange 6-way cross?

Just measured the height and it seems the awning is really adding to it.
Even with a higher spot in the middle I am getting 1.96 and the awning part is around 1.98-99
So going to remove it and probably sell since we didn't use it much in over a year in different conditions.
Can I remove it with brackets right away? Seems the roof should be fully open to access them.
Wasn't able to reach them opening it slightly in the garage.

Any answer to above question I am thing of removing mine:

This guys took the awning off the brackets first....

No you can´t remove it with the brackets still on.

When you remove the brackets put the torx screws back in the exact
holes they came from, cos they are different lengths.

Also even though it can be done alone, its better with 2.
I took mine off once alone and the rear didn´t come off so easy, so i
moved nearer to the rear to hit it off, meaning i wasn´t exactly central to
the awning and the front of it hit the deck and cracked the plastic housing.

You live and learn.

It is really easy. As said above: an extra hand helps a lot.

The only fiddle when putting it back on, is getting the rain stopper rubber back in place. Its kador fits very tightly in the rail, a bit of an effort to push it in all the length again.

In the video the chap removes the awning from the brackets first after unwinding the awning. This seems to make sense to me as it makes removing the brackets much easier with less chance of dropping the heavy awning. Worth a watch of the video.:thumb

In the video the chap removes the awning from the brackets first after unwinding the awning. This seems to make sense to me as it makes removing the brackets much easier with less chance of dropping the heavy awning. Worth a watch of the video.:thumb
Also, you can't access the securing bolts that hold the awning to the brackets with the awing wound in. You need to wind it out to be able to access and loosen those bolts.

Also, you can't access the securing bolts that hold the awning to the brackets with the awing wound in. You need to wind it out to be able to access and loosen those bolts.

Yup said that :)

"In the video the chap removes the awning from the brackets first after unwinding the awning. This seems to make sense to me as it makes removing the brackets much easier with less chance of dropping the heavy awning. Worth a watch of the video."

Yup said that :)
I read in your post: "it makes it easier", where I meant to say: "there is no other way to get it done".
Subtle difference. Not terribly important. :cool:

The video makes it all very clear, good stuff!

Any answer to above question
I read the above question as ´Can I remove it with brackets right away?

I thought you wanted an answer to that question. :headbang
Anyway, if you take yours off, your van will be even higher without the weight
of it.lol.

I read the above question as ´Can I remove it with brackets right away?

I thought you wanted an answer to that question. :headbang
Anyway, if you take yours off, your van will be even higher without the weight
of it.lol.

If I take it off it will be as I use the Van as a car and the rattle drives me insane. I have used every trick including rubber pads and cannot make it rattle unless I am driving..... :rage

Edit: It also improves the look making it very Generation 6 Caravelle...

Mine is exactly as below and it has Bulli Badges lol

gen6 caravelle.jpg

20180201_133205.jpg

volkswagen_caravelle_gen_6.jpg

Last edited:
OK thats interesting I thought it may be elsewhere. I do get a table rattle as on one of the legs does not always clip in tight enough but I added a sponge to hold in closed and still get the right ear rattle albeit only on bumpy road not on A roads/Motorways. I do have stuff in boot and drawers but sure its not related to them.

Yours could well be the awning, on mine it isn´t.
I´m gonna try and wrap the roof rear scissor hinges in a thin foam, if i can
get some thin enough to enable it to close, cos i think it may be there on mine.
Or its the sliding door. If its none of those i think i´ll give up and call
the samaritans.:headbang