Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best method to cook Toast?

Toast?
What you need are Staffordshire Oatcakes, preferably with cheese and bacon.
Now that's a breakfast!
:thumb
Noooo golden syrup please!! Absolutely love staff oatcakes, they don't know what they are in the south. Loved going to oatcake shop in Leek with my dad to get 2 dozen to bring back south.

Noooo golden syrup please!! Absolutely love staff oatcakes, they don't know what they are in the south. Loved going to oatcake shop in Leek with my dad to get 2 dozen to bring back south.
Certainly very local to North Staffordshire and the southern bit of Cheshire. I have exported to various places around the country - got told off last week for not taking some to a friend in Hull!
Not sure about the syrup...

Electric toaster for us - disadvantage - can't boil the kettle at the same time

Buy 1 of these you wont look back crumpets,toasted sandwiches,pizza etc i use the sandwich thins originally imported,for the fishing market all the camping shops arw now stocking

http://ridgemonkey.co.uk/item/deep-fill-sandwich-toaster-xl
Thanks for making us aware of these:thumb I've just received mine and used it this morning. I can confirm it works really good much better than the gauze type. Only tried bread to make toast but considering how well it toasted the bread can't wait now for crumpets, waffles, hash browns.....etc..... Breakfast while camping never tasted so good.

Ramoska! Pop bread, bagels, crumpets, Staffordshire oatcakes on the wire rack. Remove rack and it becomes a mini oven. Versatile.

Thanks for making us aware of these:thumb I've just received mine and used it this morning. I can confirm it works really good much better than the gauze type. Only tried bread to make toast but considering how well it toasted the bread can't wait now for crumpets, waffles, hash browns.....etc..... Breakfast while camping never tasted so good.

No problem I also forgot to mention fish finger sandwiches cannot beat them :)

Who'd of thought that a topic on toast would have so many views and replies :)

We've certainly given the subject a good grilling :shocked

ok...

it's been a long day.....:sad

Like this for toasting https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004VW0Y1S/?tag=eliteelect-21
The bread needs to be moved about regularly and the gas on minimum. One slice at a time and easy to burn the bread but still the best method I've found. The triangle ones are hopeless.
I agree, we've tried a few and this one is brilliant. There's 5 of us and as it is so quick I have never found it a pain making toast in the mornings for all of us. You do need a good set of tongs to go with it to turn the bread frequently to check the colour and prevent burning. Takes up no space at all either.

Too scared about setting the Cali on fire.
If you can't cook it in a pan or fring pan it's out.
We bought a camping electric toaster but it has never made it past the "Is it worth the space cut"

Im interested as a new Cali owner what the preferred method is for the start of the day slice of toast is.
Do we buy a low wattage toaster or buy a gas burner 'adapter'?
I'd recommend a toaster for when hooked up, alternatively use a dry non stick frying pan on your gas hob, Just get that nice and hot and that will toast bread,this works better and and quicker than those wire standing things and less messy too.

We are in France at the moment, first trip in Grace.
Will write report / photos on return. Staying on an amazing riverside campsite in the National park of Cevennes. Temperature been in the high 20s

Can report back the small ridge monkey makes amazing toasted sandwiches,
Yummy baguette cheesy toasty. Husband going to buy one for his boat & will make excellent present for keen campers. Very easy to use & clean .

Last edited:
I have just bought a small ridge monkey so pleased to hear all the glowing reviews. £16 from Amazon.

The most pleasing thing is that it fits in the same plastic box that holds my mini-oven, which in turn is padded by one of my cable reel bags that stop any rattling. A very nice sandwich now, oven, cable and grill, no extra space taken up. Terribly efficient. Can't wait to try it.

A full Gourmet-Granny review coming up :shocked

Just made my first ham and cheese toastie in my new ridge monkey. Oh yum yum yum!
I have a feeling that this isn't going to be good for the waistline :)

Just used my Ridge Monkey to heat up samosas, bhajis etc, worked a treat.

Just been away for a week in the van and tested the Gauze type and the Ridge Monkey type for toast.

Gauze
More compact, quicker (less gas) and you can see when the toast is burning :Grin

Ridge Monkey
First Slice slow to toast (as it warms up) meaning second slice catches you out and burns! :talktothehand

I prefer the Ridge Monkey though as its less messy, you don't have to touch the toast to turn over and its consistent after the first slice...

:bananadance

Just been away for a week in the van and tested the Gauze type and the Ridge Monkey type for toast.

Gauze
More compact, quicker (less gas) and you can see when the toast is burning :Grin

Ridge Monkey
First Slice slow to toast (as it warms up) meaning second slice catches you out and burns! :talktothehand

I prefer the Ridge Monkey though as its less messy, you don't have to touch the toast to turn over and its consistent after the first slice...

:bananadance
Agree, the ridge monkey wins, my only gripe is that being enclosed the toast is a little moist compared to the gauzed. I tend to leave the toast to breath with the top opento let the moisture dissipate.

Agree, the ridge monkey wins, my only gripe is that being enclosed the toast is a little moist compared to the gauzed. I tend to leave the toast to breath with the top opento let the moisture dissipate.

I agree, but if you turn the gas right down it does improve...but takes longer

image.jpg [QUOTE

and this looks almost like mine

and delicious spread with Waitrose duchy slightly salted butter (the toast that is, not the toaster)[/QUOTE]

Thank you - thank you - thank you.

I was sat in a site over summer and was asked if there was anything i miss when camping, TOAST I replied..... but not anymore!!!

We make toast just using a dry non stick frying pan, work well, cheap & easy. Try this before you invest in any fancier stuff.
We use this method, no extra kit required, works best if you butter the bread sparingly both sides first, turn as required, makes excellent toast.

......works best if you butter the bread sparingly both sides first, turn as required, makes excellent toast.
Don't mean to be picky, but that sounds suspiciously like a recipe for Fried Bread to me. Will certainly experiment though :)

Don't mean to be picky, but that sounds suspiciously like a recipe for Fried Bread to me. Will certainly experiment though :)

It is a close to toast as we can get without a toaster, being sparing with spread is the key to not making it taste like fried bread, give it a go.

You wont regret ive been using them year round cannt beat a toasted sandwich in December freezing have a look on their facbook page that should give you plenty of ideas nearly forget steak slices are fantastic
Hi there can you make just plain and simple toast (no fillings) and if yes do you put more than one slice in at a time. many thanks :)

Back