Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

Thanks that's great to hear :) where did you get that sink cover it looks great and which power bank did you get as we aren't having solar panels fitted but thought that a power bank would help off ehu, have you used it yet?
It was crafter by Roger Moreton morton.roger@icloud.com
I bought the Anker Solix C1000 and I'm delighted with it. I use a CPAP machine and also charge our phones and other tech to extend the life of the leisure batteries. It can be recharged while driving or in only 1 hour from the mains.

It was crafter by Roger Moreton morton.roger@icloud.com
I bought the Anker Solix C1000 and I'm delighted with it. I use a CPAP machine and also charge our phones and other tech to extend the life of the leisure batteries. It can be recharged while driving or in only 1 hour from the mains.
That's brilliant thanks I have been looking at that Anker I don't want to spend the extra on solar panels for the Anker so can you manage without those and would it last a few days off grid do you reckon as it will save on hook up costs won't it.

That's brilliant thanks I have been looking at that Anker I don't want to spend the extra on solar panels for the Anker so can you manage without those and would it last a few days off grid do you reckon as it will save on hook up costs won't it.
I've only used it off grid for 2 days so far and I was using the Anker at the same time.

Why not just fit solar panels, instead of Anker, then not much need for EHU?

Why not just fit solar panels, instead of Anker, then not much need for EHU?
There's no inverter fitted on the Sven so the three pin plugs won't work without EHU, that's certainly what I've been told

There's no inverter fitted on the Sven so the three pin plugs won't work without EHU, that's certainly what I've been told
Apologies if you've explained earlier in the thread but why do you need 13a plugs?

Apologies if you've explained earlier in the thread but why do you need 13a plugs?
Sorry this is probably my lack of knowledge, but an earlier post suggested solar instead of a powerbank. So I assumed without an inverter even with solar you wouldn't be able to power items such as a kettle just using solar as you couldn't plug it in. I've probably got completely the wrong end of the stick...:oops:

Sorry this is probably my lack of knowledge, but an earlier post suggested solar instead of a powerbank. So I assumed without an inverter even with solar you wouldn't be able to power items such as a kettle just using solar as you couldn't plug it in. I've probably got completely the wrong end of the stick...:oops:
Ok, unless you're plugging in hair straighteners or similar then leisure batteries (especially with solar) will be fine for fridge, lighting, charging phone etc. Hot water and heating via the gas/diesel heater and kettle on the gas stove for brews. The less you buy and carry aroung the better, it's very capable as it is, no?

You are correct, solar will not give you power to your 13a sockets. Can you not manage without them? Gas hob for kettle.
In your Cali do you run a kettle off the 300w inverter? Doubt it!

You are correct, solar will not give you power to your 13a sockets. Can you not manage without them? Gas hob for kettle.

I suspect part of the reason for upgrading to a bigger van is to have a more pampered camping experience which for many includes using some of the appliances we all enjoy at home eg kettles, hair dryers, air fryer etc. as well as not having to climb to get ibto bed and to have an onboard toilet/shower etc.

I still very much prefer my camping to be more ‘elemental’ frugal & feral! I suspect that won’t always be the case and when that time comes then I imagine a bigger van with mod cons will become more appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make a valid point, but I did use the 300w inverter to power charger for my Macbook (which won't work from USB) Small electric blanket, radio and other lower powered items. I'm also guessing if I do opt for solar panels on the van they need some sort of rewiring to charge any powerbank?

Back