Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

They may have a reputation for great vehicles, but every interaction with my commercial Mercedes dealer has been painful , unorganized shambles that lack any degree of customer care.
Have since found out its about to close and is not being replaced?
Only option is to travel futher however other MB commercial dealers within 50 miles also have poor reviews, good job I have a camper!
If anyone can recommend a decent MB dealer let me know.

They may have a reputation for great vehicles, but every interaction with my commercial Mercedes dealer has been painful , unorganized shambles that lack any degree of personal customer care.
Have since found out its about to close and is not being replaced?
Only option is to travel futher however other MB commercial dealers within 50 miles also have poor reviews, good job I have a camper!
If anyone can recommend a decent MB dealer let me know.

Wow that van looks pretty new, was it an expensive mistake swapping out of it to your current van?

Thankfully sold before the downturn.
It cost me £3k to own the van for 10 months. In that period, we and a two and a half week European tour, one week in Holland, one week in Cornwall and a few Brit weekends.

Only downside. Had I bought the Mercedes in year 23 instead of year 24. It would’ve been about £8k cheaper.

My advice to anyone thinking about moving into something bigger than a Cali would be.

Find the right internal layout and payload that suits the lifestyle you want before thinking about the chassis. If you over think the chassis you’ll limit your choices.

Personally I would never go for a pop top again, for me it’s the weak point.

I personally wouldn’t buy a 6m van without one.
The downstairs bed is too cosy for two adults.
As it happens, there’s 3 of us anyway and we need a Poptop to accommodate all of us.

But even with just two people, I would want a Poptop as I would still sleep up there rather than squeeze down below.
Will and the other fella aren’t the most athletic of people, I have no idea how they get comfortable in such a narrow bed space…???

Me too.
The JC 600D 4x4 is my go to.
With pop top and 4WD when needed.
WestFalia build quality is 2nd to none.
Only seen 2x 2nd hand Sven’s up on AT this year.
Me three, love this thread. Me and the missus want to retire as soon as the kids go to Uni - they are currently 12 and 10. Although perhaps even before retiring I think we might need a bigger van, my 12yo boy is massive. The Hymer Free S600 looks great. Seems you need the best part of £100k though...

I've no rational reason for not wanting a poptop but as mine leaked like a sieve in my Cali it's kinda put me off them for life, :(

Crafter and Sprinter panel van made in same factory with different fronts, engines and gearboxes same as Aygo/ Citroen c1 and Peugeot. As a panel van the sprinter is faster, the crafter has a better gearbox . The latest Ducato with the 9 speed auto is as good as the sprinter and the crafter.

From what I can remember the new generation Crafter/Sprinter are now made on differential platforms in different countries.
Crafter is made in a purpose built Polish factory, Sprinter in two German plants plus South Carolina in the USA.
For twenty odd years they were the same vehicle but no more.
A hybrid of the two would be good, Crafters square body fitted out with Mercedes interior and of course the three pointed star on the front.

As it happens, there’s 3 of us anyway and we need a Poptop to accommodate all of us.

But even with just two people, I would want a Poptop as I would still sleep up there rather than squeeze down below.
Will and the other fella aren’t the most athletic of people, I have no idea how they get comfortable in such a narrow bed space…???
Is the downstairs bed bigger than the Cali bed? Must be, surely.

From what I can remember the new generation Crafter/Sprinter are now made on differential platforms in different countries.
Crafter is made in a purpose built Polish factory, Sprinter in two German plants plus South Carolina in the USA.
For twenty odd years they were the same vehicle but no more.
A hybrid of the two would be good, Crafters square body fitted out with Mercedes interior and of course the three pointed star on the front.
The MAN TGE & Crafters are made at the same plant, even on the same production line perhaps this is what was being referred to ?

I personally wouldn’t buy a 6m van without one.

I agree. When we had the GCS, I slept in the roof. I am only just over 6’1 and wider than I should be, and on my own ,sleeping on the downstairs bed was tight, no chance next to someone. But every van is a compromise, and mine is that I need the beds to run front to back, which means GC680 for now. I don’t want to be worrying about pop tops again.

I agree. When we had the GCS, I slept in the roof. I am only just over 6’1 and wider than I should be, and on my own ,sleeping on the downstairs bed was tight, no chance next to someone. But every van is a compromise, and mine is that I need the beds to run front to back, which means GC680 for now. I don’t want to be worrying about pop tops again.
Rooflights make a massive difference as well to making the van brighter and airy.

Is the downstairs bed bigger than the Cali bed? Must be, surely.

I’m not sure it’s much bigger to be honest.
The real benefit is having a decent mattress and not needing toppers, to make the bed comfortable.

I couldn’t sleep with the wife in the Ocean, I always slept in the roof.
Same with the current van, the boys sleep in the top bunk as it’s bigger than the bed downstairs.

That was the benefit with the Beach years back. Had the largest bed of any other similar sized van.
Sort of see the appeal with the new GCS 700. The lengthways and full width downstairs bed…

Crafter and Sprinter panel van made in same factory with different fronts, engines and gearboxes same as Aygo/ Citroen c1 and Peugeot. As a panel van the sprinter is faster, the crafter has a better gearbox . The latest Ducato with the 9 speed auto is as good as the sprinter and the crafter.
You're wrong mate, the first two generations of Crafter(LT) where indeed based on the Sprinter with VW engines.

The current and 3rd generation of Crafter shares nothing with Mercedes - it has a MAN TGE twin both of which are made just outside of Poznań Poland.

The Ducato had a Iveco 2.3/2.8/3.0 engines depending on the year/generation. The Jumper/Boxer twins had their own engines such as the 2.2 which was also used by Ford in the Transit up until recently when they switched to the wet bath timing belt 2.0 TDCI. Transmission is a sour point of any Ducato that's 150+hp.

Yes the Ducato/Peugeot/Citroen and now Toyota all look the same... But the Fiat got updated electronics, dash two years ago ago. It's also received updated/revised suspension.

Personally I would not touch any new van but a Crafter or Renault Master based conversions.

Just take a look at the delivery vans that couriers from mid/eastern Europe use all around Europe for deliveries... You will rarely see a Sprinter unless it's an old T1N/904 but you will see a ton of Masters and older Ducato - this should tell you something! The other vans just pale in comparison in terms of reliability. The old stuff was bullet proof, the new stuff is garbage.

Cheers from Deutschland.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I’m not sure it’s much bigger to be honest.
The real benefit is having a decent mattress and not needing toppers, to make the bed comfortable.
That was an unexpected benefit of moving from the Cali to to the Sven, as it's a fixed bed the mattress must be 3 or 4 times the depth which means a much more comfortable sleep. No more aching hips or shoulders which I often got on the Cali bed even with a topper.

That was an unexpected benefit of moving from the Cali to to the Sven, as it's a fixed bed the mattress must be 3 or 4 times the depth which means a much more comfortable sleep. No more aching hips or shoulders which I often got on the Cali bed even with a topper.

Yep, makes a big difference. Plus, it’s always there and ready to use ;)

Me too.
The JC 600D 4x4 is my go to.
With pop top and 4WD when needed.
WestFalia build quality is 2nd to none.
Only seen 2x 2nd hand Sven’s up on AT this year.
The JC600D looks awesome. However, when I go onto the Westfalia site it says not available in RHD :(.

The JC600D looks awesome. However, when I go onto the Westfalia site it says not available in RHD :(.
I've been reliably informed they are going to be doing a RHD model for the UK market which should be here by spring/summer next year.
What I would like to know, is the JC regarded as the next level up to the Sven or is it just an alternative on a different base van? There doesn't seem to be significant differences inside but the price commanded seems to be £25k plus over the Sven?

I've been reliably informed they are going to be doing a RHD model for the UK market which should be here by spring/summer next year.
What I would like to know, is the JC regarded as the next level up to the Sven or is it just an alternative on a different base van? There doesn't seem to be significant differences inside but the price commanded seems to be £25k plus over the Sven?
The JC has always been the penultimate Westy and based on the Merc Sprinter whereas the Sven is mostly (bar one series) VW based.

Richard at Campersales in Burgess Hill has ordered some direct from Westfalia.
They do come RHD.
Without slide out pod.
But with pop top, and without pop top.
Also with or without 4x4.
I think the 600D with pop top and 4x4 is going to be £130k
Which is £50k above my budget :(

The issue i have now is looking at new Adria Twin, and Hymer, the internal are so much more homely. Not white hospital feel.
I’ll keep saving, and order the Cali Ocean as i love the seat and driving position for work for the next 5 years.
Have to use some of my Hotels.com / oneKey benefits of £1500 to stop in some hotels & cottages & B&B’s.
Plenty of choice on there now !
Or do I keep the MV with ergo comfort seats, picnic table and just buy a fridge ?
It’s all i need to be honest. Got the EF, vango roar, Coleman stove, and all the bits n bobs.
Can always chuck the dirty washing in a bag or use plastic plates ?

"Reliably informed", now that is interesting....c'mon spill the beans! A couple of days ago I was Googling how to import a LHD!!

Depending on layout the MAN TGE can have a much wider bed than the Cali. Ours is the Hillside Hopton and there’s plenty of room for two downstairs.

Back